PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable Latency?

mks2005
24-10-2007, 22:32
Hey all,

Just wondering, as far as ToC read, is there a limit to which your latency (to say, UK websites) can be at which it no longer becomes an acceptable level of service from the provider? I read something about in terms of speed, BT gave a figure of > 0.4Mb being 'acceptable'.

I wonder because, at the moment, my latency (and to a lesser extent, speed) is frustratingly poor most of the time, and I wonder if I have any ground to challenge VM as not offering me an acceptable level of service.

For the record, I'm on ADSL ("up to 8Mbit" [reaches 5Mbit on rare occasions, usually more in the region of 0.3-1Mbit, pings at peak are 180-250ms.])

Dawn Falcon
25-10-2007, 00:32
There is nothing whatsover specified.

dev
25-10-2007, 00:43
if you want any guarentees to *any* level of service you need at least a business connection or a dedicated/leased line

Dawn Falcon
25-10-2007, 01:13
if you want any guarentees to *any* level of service you need at least a business connection or a dedicated/leased line

Untrue - ADSL connections averaging a very low data rate can be investigated by BT, and some small ADSL ISP's offer SLA's on any connection.