PDA

View Full Version : Beep-Beep-Beep?

daveoc
24-10-2007, 15:59
Picked up my phone and instead of a dial tone I'm getting beep-beep-beep.

Tried phoning and it works ok.

Spoke to faults and they say the line is fine and said it could be my voicemail. Trouble is I don't have voicemail and dialing 1571 confirmed it.

Tried a spare phone on the line and it's the same so not a problem with the phone.

Any ideas?

dave

AbyssUnderground
24-10-2007, 16:48
I'd have suggested voice mail also. Unless you have another phone on the same line that has an answering machine? They can also do it.

daveoc
24-10-2007, 17:08
Tried again. Still doing it but I've found out that if I let the beeps go on, after 20 seconds a pre-recorded message comes on saying ''sorry,you have dialed incorrectly''.

The beeps then change to a higher pitch but just carry on with no message coming up.

Blowed if I can figure out what it is

dave

spiderman2
24-10-2007, 18:11
have u received any wrong calls since the day this beep beep sound started ??

daveoc
24-10-2007, 18:57
Not really a wrong call.

My Wife phoned lunchtime and I noticed the problem 10 minutes later when I went to make a call out.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Just liased with VM support via the usenet forum and they seem to think it's a tech job so we're sorting out a visit time.

To be fair I've had a cable phone for close to 20 years and this is the first time i've had any sort of problem.

dave

dave_dph
27-10-2007, 12:23
Not really a wrong call.
To be fair I've had a cable phone for close to 20 years and this is the first time i've had any sort of problem.

dave

Dave have you read my reply in virginmedia.support.telephony?

I post as BC.

daveoc
27-10-2007, 14:01
Dave have you read my reply in virginmedia.support.telephony?

I post as BC.

Thanks Dave,

Just got in and tried what you said and posted answers back on thesupport.telephony.

Any ideas what could have caused this to happen.

The Virgin tech guys who were here yesterday, on an unrelated matter, were convinced it was nothing to do with this end of things.

Regards

Dave

dave_dph
27-10-2007, 14:24
Thanks Dave,

Any ideas what could have caused this to happen.

The Virgin tech guys who were here yesterday, on an unrelated matter, were convinced it was nothing to do with this end of things.

Regards

Dave

You have Call Barring active on your line and it appears to be premium rate numbers that are barred. I have posted the details of how to switch Call Barring off but it may be that premium rate numbers are barred free of charge, in which case you may not be able to switch the barring off with remote codes.

dragon
27-10-2007, 14:43
Tried again. Still doing it but I've found out that if I let the beeps go on, after 20 seconds a pre-recorded message comes on saying ''sorry,you have dialed incorrectly''.

The beeps then change to a higher pitch but just carry on with no message coming up.

Blowed if I can figure out what it is

dave

I believe that's normal If left long enough It will then go to a howler (sounds like a siren going off) to try and alert you that the phones off the hook and eventually it will just go dead.

Well that's the case for BT anyway VM may be different.

piggy
28-10-2007, 13:49
if its a staggered dial tone as in tone....gap....tone.........gap this is quite normal and just means you have enhanced features on the line like call barring/answerphone

PS1
28-10-2007, 22:02
or maybe simply its just the road runner on the other end. beep beep!:D