PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent connection drops.

Squash
23-10-2007, 00:54
Hey All,
i'm new around here, but i've been having a problem for a while and Virgin haven't been super helpful with me. Basically, for about the last month or so my connection just hangs randomly and sometimes repeatedly. The problem seems to be somewhere between the modem and Virgin themselves, i'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with my PC or router, as when the disconnects occur my modems cable light disappears the connection only comes back on when the modem has detected the cable again.

I phoned Virgin 2 weeks ago and told them about it, and I told the guy I had one of the way old Terayon modems, and he said he would send me a new one. That new modem still hasn't arrived which i'm kinda annoyed about, so i'm gonna ring them tomorrow.

Anyways, i'm still not sure that the new modem will fix things. I only have a 2mb connection which this modem should be able to handle. Do you guys think that the modem is the issue? Either way this is a really annoying problem and i'd love to get to the bottom of it.

homealone
23-10-2007, 01:21
:welcome:

changing the terayon modem should help, especially if you are in an area that has been upgraded to QAM256, which the terry doesn't like ;)

Squash
23-10-2007, 01:25
:welcome:

changing the terayon modem should help, especially if you are in an area that has been upgraded to QAM256, which the terry doesn't like ;)
Ah excellent :) thanks man, that's pretty good news in a way, means I won't have to deal with Virgin customer support beyond asking for a new modem. ;)

homealone
23-10-2007, 01:49
Ah excellent :) thanks man, that's pretty good news in a way, means I won't have to deal with Virgin customer support beyond asking for a new modem. ;)

good luck - there may be a chance the new one sent out was delayed by the postal strike, but arranging for another can't do any harm, provided you send one back if you get two ;)