PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media install fails

mjlove
21-10-2007, 11:11
I'm trying to help my parents, they've decided to switch from BT Broadband to VirginMedia, as they've got a deal on TV/phone/Broadband. They've got the TV and phone sorted and it seems to be okay. Problem is when they're trying to install the Virgin Media CD. Following the instruction, and connecting to the VirginMedia supplied Router with the Ethernet cable, the laptop and router seem to handshake ok, but the install software then proceedes to 'Check Outlook Express for existing blueyonder accounts'.

At this point they get a popup error message, saying persmission denied. It then asks if you want to continue, choosing 'Yes' seems not to do anything, I've given it 10 minutes, then abandoned the install. Choosing 'No' just stops and cleans up the install.

I thought that it might have been Mcafee, but I've switched everything I can find off, but still no joy.

Anyone experienced this before? Or got any advice?

Thanks

M.

moaningmags
21-10-2007, 13:27
Phone tech support, as you are a first time install they will
take your details and call you straight back as well as refunding
the 2 minute call it should only take to get said details.
Make sure you tell them its your first call about a first time
install. 0906 212 1111

Acutally now that I've said I've just realised you have the router.
You should have a telephone number in the box it came in to
contact the correct dept.

xspeedyx
21-10-2007, 14:02
did u mean the router which is for trials or the modem

mjlove
22-10-2007, 18:08
Thanks guys, my parents had called the support line previously, and had no joy, what with them being pensioners and having to deal with a call centre! I'll give the tech line a go, I was just trying to findout if there was a less painless solution in fixing it myself, or if it was a common problem.

Cheers

M.

MovedGoalPosts
22-10-2007, 19:06
Try installing without the CD - you shouldn't need it.

Firstly, on the modem, make sure that the power, sync and ready lights are lit and steady - if they aren't whatever you do it's going to fall over and that will need a call to tech services.

Power off the modem, and the lappy. connect ethernet between modem and lappy. Power modem, let settle, power lappy.

At your internet browser type https://autoreg.autoregister.net
From now on you should be able to follow the prompts for the new customer using the serial number, customer name, and PIN details you were sent.

Once that is done you'll be able to setup things like Outlook Express and such like, entering the details specific for you.

mjlove
28-10-2007, 10:43
Rob,

Managed to get my parents account sorted, and the laptop/router via ethernet cable seems fine, so all I need to do now is attempt the wireless router setup! Thanks for your help.

Mark