PDA

View Full Version : In a Provisional loop

snazzy
20-10-2007, 22:48
Hi people, damn I sure wish I had found this place a few months back when I was pulling my hair out. Anyways, as is the want with NTL/Virgin things get sorted eventually, but it doesn't take too long for it to go wonky again.

I have been with Ntl/Virgin since way back to day one, Cable & Wirless, it's been a rocky road for sure. My box is the Pace grey coloured one and as a rule works real fine. For the last few weeks I've been getting bad lag playing world of war craft. When with happens, it usually goes after a few days, most it's ever been is two weeks of bad lag and constant disconects. I/We never really get to the bottom of it, 'cos Blizzard and NTL blame each other, and the problem goes away for many months. This time however I am having a real problem. I have had massive major lag in the game, and web pages are just refusing to display. In the last five days I have had the provisional log on screen six times. Each time I have to delete my computer and re add it. If I don't do this, I can't go any further. I can't rename it, and I can't add one.

I have spoken to tech' support five times, but with the greatest will in the world I'm struggling to understand their accents let alone the advice they give. I am not a novice with computers, but I am totally lost as to why I am getting this provisional logging all the time. Once it's done, I get a new IP address and it works 100% fine. I have seven IP addresses from the last few weeks all written down here in front of me, but it's done the provisional thing three times in the last twenty four hours.

My box and computer are directly connected and they have been this way for about two years. There's no router no wireless things. I don't ever unplug the cable to use anything else such as a lap top. In fact, If for some reason I wanted a new IP address I wouldn't know how to go about getting one. It it possible that this is NOT NTL/Virgins fault? I have ran every anti virus trojan remover, cookie cleaner. I've killed off every startup program I think I don't need. I can't really see anything I can do here.

I hope someone can put some light to this.

Regards

Steve in Manchester.