PDA

View Full Version : What Sky+ box is currently being supplied?

Jon T
20-10-2007, 19:25
As the title says.

What make and model of Sky+ box is currently being supplied.

Had my Amstrad DRX400 fail on me this morning, so i've used it as an excuse to upgrade to Sky+.

Also, reading through a couple of other threads, it looks as though if I can fix my Amstrad box, that I may be able to use it as a freeview box.

The Amstrad wont come out of standby and one of the capacitors on the power supply section on the Amstrad has a horribly domed top, reading various things on the internet(satcure etc) it looks like the capacitor in the power supply is probably the culprit. Anyway got nothing to loose other than a couple of quid for the component and a few centimetres of solder.

nicke261192
20-10-2007, 20:29
If you upgrade to Sky+ you have to take another contract out i think. Thats why i love Virgin Media :D They fix your box for free :D

BTW: you cant use it as a freeview box but you can use it as a freesat box

Stuart
20-10-2007, 20:57
If he's happy soldering capacitors, I don't think he's going to worry about repairing the box if it does go wrong.

Jon T
20-10-2007, 21:09
If he's happy soldering capacitors, I don't think he's going to worry about repairing the box if it does go wrong.

Quite happy with a soldering iron, and I don't stand to loose anything, so not bothered if the repair doesn't work.

and yes I know that in my case it'll be freesat, just thought that as I was talking about Sky that people would realise what I meant.

It's a pain in the rear at the moment, all we had was Sky, we don't have a TV aerial, so at the moment no TV for us till the Sky+ install on Tuesday.

Hom3r
20-10-2007, 23:01
you could try web TV

Jon T
21-10-2007, 09:14
you could try web TV

I could, but it's irritating having to be up here in the spare/computer room just to watch a bit of telly, DVD Player has had more use yesterday than it's had all year!

Anyway, getting back to the original question, has anybody had Sky+ installed recently, and what was the make/model of the box?

Mick Fisher
21-10-2007, 18:28
Thompson DSI8210

Jon T
21-10-2007, 18:59
Thompson DSI8210

Cool, thanks Mick

Mick Fisher
22-10-2007, 01:27
You're very welcome.

Cilonen
24-10-2007, 21:23
I recently had to have a 3 month old Amstrad Sky+ box replaced due to the inputs dying completely.
Arranged for a new replacement (not a refurb) as the box was well inside warranty. Was hoping for Pace, as they are far more reliable.
Sky engineer went through his entire vans stock of new boxes to check - ALL Amstrad.
Since Sky bought Amstrad recently, I think we'll see less & less of the Pace & Thomson boxes.

ozsat
25-10-2007, 19:19
If you upgrade to Sky+ you have to take another contract out i think. Thats why i love Virgin Media :D They fix your box for free :DThey fix their box for free ;)

Graham M
25-10-2007, 19:25
True, but I'd rather rent and have it sorted for free than buy and then be shafted with repair bills, wouldn't you?

Mick Fisher
26-10-2007, 14:14
True, but I'd rather rent and have it sorted for free than buy and then be shafted with repair bills, wouldn't you?
Yep!! Fine in theory, but, the reality could be that VM is just as likely to shaft you by replacing your STB with some decade old "so-called refurbished" Pace poo that is not man enough to handle the demands of todays network and which promptly "falls over" as soon as the box swapper steps out of your front door with your old "broken?" Sammie under his arm. :(

Both VM and Sky's system contain pitfalls just waiting for the consumer to fall into. Bottom line is, if you're in luck you will have a good experience. Get a Friday afternoon appliance and you will likely be stuffed with reconditioned poo from both.

One difference though, New Sky Installs get a NEW box, this is not necessarily the case with VM installs as I understand it.

Chrysalis
29-10-2007, 17:50
I recently had to have a 3 month old Amstrad Sky+ box replaced due to the inputs dying completely.
Arranged for a new replacement (not a refurb) as the box was well inside warranty. Was hoping for Pace, as they are far more reliable.
Sky engineer went through his entire vans stock of new boxes to check - ALL Amstrad.
Since Sky bought Amstrad recently, I think we'll see less & less of the Pace & Thomson boxes.

Exactly my thoughts, I have read more then once that the thompson and pace ones are better, my amstrad sky+ box is horrid.

MikeyB
01-11-2007, 11:26
Thompson DSI8210

My Mum had Sky+ installed yesterday, and has got an Amstrad box.

Mick Fisher
01-11-2007, 18:56
My Mum had Sky+ installed yesterday, and has got an Amstrad box.
Well perhaps it's just down to luck as to what the installer happens to have on his van?
My install was a few months ago now and I think before the news of Sky acquiring Amstrad broke. Maybe, now, Amstrad boxes is all there is. :shocked:

zing_deleted
14-11-2007, 17:05
Had 3 sky + boxes in 8 months the 3rd failed on me about 5 mins ago so not holding out much hope. When the warrenty ends I will not be staying with sky when the next box busts

Chrysalis
23-12-2007, 13:31
well I defenitly hate amstrad even more now.

last amstrad box replaced last week, turned itself off when using rewind and was slow.
newer one but wasnt brand new does same on rewind already.

Stuart
23-12-2007, 14:40
In my experience, Amstrad stuff always was badly manufactured. Don't see why it would be any different now.

Hom3r
27-12-2007, 16:48
Does Sugar still own Amstrad

Chrysalis
06-01-2008, 20:23
Some good news thompson boxes are still been given out as I now have one.

Engineer came few days ago with new box under his arm (not refurbished) and yes wasnt a amstrad.

Is more responsive, actually turns over when I press the button.
30x speed is smooth and doesnt miss frames due to lack of processing power.
No longer turns itself off when rewinding.

So happy again and fingers crossed I am ok for a long time, am happy how sky dealt with the problem replacing box 2 times without trying to get out of it as well as compensating me.

Mick Fisher
07-01-2008, 01:03
Well my Thompson has not missed a beat since I've had it. Many have suggested I was imagining it so it's good to have you corroborate my experience.

Nice to hear you are enjoying your Sky+ experience once again.

Just wish they would fix the Copy bug and scrap the IMO useless Sky Anytime Service, maybe when this new EPG comes out??

Hmmm I probably am dreaming about that. :rolleyes:

Graham M
07-01-2008, 07:48
I've had my Pace for just over 2 weeks now and it's been good so far :)

Losttheplot
07-01-2008, 13:50
Does Sugar still own Amstrad

No Sky bought them.

I've got a Pace Sky+ downstairs and an Amstrad Sky+ in the bedroom. Only difference I've noticed is the Amstrad is far noisier (disk noise).

Graham M
07-01-2008, 13:55
To clarify: Sky didn't buy out all of Amstrad, just the factory that makes the boxes

Aragorn
07-01-2008, 14:46
To clarify: Sky didn't buy out all of Amstrad, just the factory that makes the boxes
:erm: Quote from Amstrad.com (my highlight)

On 31 July 2007 Amstrad announced that it had agreed terms for a recommended cash offer to be made for Amstrad by BSkyB. On 5th September 2007 it was announced that this offer was unconditional in all respects. On 8 October 2007, Amstrad was de-listed from the London Stock Exchange.

Amstrad is now a subsidiary of BSkyB. Alan Sugar does own other businesses, just not Amstrad.

Chrysalis
10-01-2008, 00:26
I have heard that sky brought amstrad so they could gain access to the stb software code and try and fix the problems themselves via new software. If this is true it makes me think amstrad boxes certianly are the most troublesome and for sky to go to these lengths to fix the issues.

Chrysalis
26-01-2008, 18:14
more bad news about amstrad, my sister recently informed me her original box went bad was turning itself off (amstrad approx year old) she then got a refurbished amstrad which kept having no signal found problems, but after this she had enough and has now resigned to using her normal sky digi box and stopped using sky+.

GeoffW
27-01-2008, 20:29
I had Sky+ installed a few months ago. I wanted a Pace unit but all the guy had on the van was Thompson.

It works OK, but is quite noisy. I think it's the fan rather than the HD, I've turned off instant rewind and Anytime which helps but is still noisier than I would like.

MikeyB
27-01-2008, 21:43
Just like to say that the Amstrad Sky+ box my parents had installed in November has had absolutely no problems yet, they had many more signal problems with the standard Grundig box it replaced.

It is so quite that I can only hear it when sat on the floor in front of it with the TV turned off and then it's a quiet hum.

Just waiting till pay day and I'll be phoning Sky myself to upgrade to Sky+

MikeyB
18-02-2008, 12:50
Hello again.

Finally had my Sky+ installed on Saturday :) and it's an Amstrad box.
So far so good (early days I know) and just like my parents it's fast, very quiet, and does what it says on the box!

The install went without a hitch. The installer phoned on Friday afternoon to say he'd be there between 1PM and 4PM, and he turned up at about 1.02PM so that was a good start.
He was very professional, and was very quick, and everything worked first time :tu:

So far very pleased :D

Mick Fisher
18-02-2008, 19:00
Nice to hear. :tu: