PDA

View Full Version : wireless broadband question?

treeman
20-10-2007, 15:08
i am thinking of changing my current modem by virgin to a wireless i would like to use it with out the need for a wire
/lead from my pc. this is the first time i have bought a wireless modem and i would like to know if there is any particular model and make which anyone can recommend?
i am looking to spend as little as possible and would like it to be under £50 if poss.

i am newbie to wireless so any help and advice would be great!!

xspeedyx
20-10-2007, 15:17
Linksys Are Good You Need A Cable Wireless Router And A Adaptor For Ur Desktop Or Laptop Unless Ur Laptop Is Wireless Make Sure Its A Cable Router And All The Instructions Are In The Box

Cobbydaler
20-10-2007, 15:18
If you are on a VM cable connection, as opposed to ADSL, you don't need a wireless modem/router just a wireless router.

Many people will recommend a Linksys WRT54G, available for about £35...

Dean B
20-10-2007, 15:24
What you need is a Router. This will enable you to share your connection amongst any wireless equipped devices you have. D-Link Routers are a good choice right now. Search the forums for recommendations.

Your Modem doesn't need changing.

-Dean

treeman
20-10-2007, 15:26
yes it is a cable connection i have not adsl.

xspeedyx
20-10-2007, 15:31
cable router is needed check ebay

lsproc
20-10-2007, 17:55
Dont get a Belkin, I use one and its a pain in the backside some of the time.

When you get it, simply plug your modem into the WAN port (or similar) on your router via ethernet. If you cant surf, you might need to re-register, but I cant remember :P

pigpen
20-10-2007, 22:09
If you cant surf, you might need to re-register, but I cant remember :P

Or you can clone the MAC address of your network card in the router's settings. My Linksys WRT54GL has a button to automatically do this.

treeman
21-10-2007, 10:09
thanks alot again for all your help and info which has been great!:)

Cobbydaler
21-10-2007, 10:10
No problem, let us know how you get on! :)

treeman
22-10-2007, 10:03
hi folks i eventualy went for the Netgear WGR614 Wireless 54Mbps Cable + Adaptor usb from amazon which should be here on tuesday or wednesday.

i might be back if i have any trouble setting it up, but cheers for all your help and advie which was great!

ECW_Original
22-10-2007, 10:05
hi folks i eventualy went for the Netgear WGR614 Wireless 54Mbps Cable + Adaptor usb from amazon which should be here on tuesday or wednesday.

i might be back if i have any trouble setting it up, but cheers for all your help and advie which was great!

What a mistake you made there man!

Everyone knows that USB aint that good for wireless connections, they are ok for keyboard, mouse, USB thumb drives and the like, but for wireless, I would've gone for a PCI wireless card, MUCH more stable!

xspeedyx
22-10-2007, 10:07
I use a pci card and the speeds are worse than with usb

ECW_Original
22-10-2007, 10:09
I use a pci card and the speeds are worse than with usb

Well taking that into account, AND the fact that you HATE wireless, why not just go back to Ethernet connection??

xspeedyx
22-10-2007, 10:13
I have now

ECW_Original
22-10-2007, 10:16
It is strange, for when I am connected through ethernet cable from the modem directly to my pc, the speeds are worse than wireless, and I know my Ethernet ports are ok, as I can copy from my other desktops at around 30-40MegaBytes a second (the max for my laptop hdd)
So I dunno whats going on there.

tweetiepooh
22-10-2007, 10:34
Another solution to the wireless side is a wireless bridge. This connects to PC via NIC and once configured is then invisible to the connection. The advantage of this method is that there are no additional drivers/software on the PC. I used to plug a switch into mine and thus had four LAN ports wirelessly connected to the net.

Now comeon manf's lets see an N rated bridge that delivers.