PDA

View Full Version : Using more than 1 modem

paul26uk
20-10-2007, 13:40
OK apologies for this question from a relative novice, although it should just require a simple yes or no answer so if someone in the know could help I'd really appreciate it...

I just moved into a new house recently and I've subscribed to virgin internet through cable and all is going well. It seems however that the previous tennants of the house have taken the main virgin media F cable coming in to the house and connected it to a 4 way splitter, and then trailed 4 new F cables from that to other rooms in the house.

I connected my modem to the end of one of these cables and it works fine. But I want to know that if can I get hold of another virgin media cable modem, can I connect this to another one of the cables in order to connect a second computer?

Basically what I'm asking is: is it possible to connect two modems to the same internet connection after splitting the F cable, or do they only allow one modem connection, in which case I'll have to get a router.

I'm assuming that this is possible, as I can't see why else the previous tennants would have trailed these F cables all over the house if it weren't...

Any help much appreciated.

cablesnail
20-10-2007, 13:49
Hi,

simple answer no...you can only have one modem per household (unless possibly you pay for 2 subscriptions) - not sure but its something to do with bandwith i.e 2 modems double the bandwidth so they won't provide a 2nd modem free...I learned this the hard way after buying a 2nd hand modem off ebay....it wouldn't work as its locked to the IP address of the original owner.....something like that. i'm no expert.
I think it is possible to get dodgy modems that will work but I guess if everyone did it we'd have an even poorer service from VM

Hope that helps...if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me

robjw
20-10-2007, 19:11
The reason for the extra cables is so you can have TV in one room, BB in another etc. There's probably 4 becuase basic TV services are still available over cable if you plug it in to a standard analogue TV. These analogue signals probably won't be around for very much longer though.

swapshop1
20-10-2007, 19:50
If Customer services allow you, then yes, technically theres no reason to stop you. The signal strength has already been reduced by atleast 4 times.(4 way split). Phone up and ask. It would cost you twice as much though.

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

It depends upon billing. Maybe you could say to Virgin that your place is now 2 flats, a and b, then you might get to billing accounts, you can have the 2 bills sent to your house as normal.

what?
21-10-2007, 13:46
definitly cant have 2 modem on the one account
one bb modem per household. believe it used to be different on ntl but not anymore.

as you said yourself it will have to be a router. which is now available from virginmedia themselves. and if not getting it from them there plenty of suggestion on here for reliable modems to use with virgin.

Tricky
21-10-2007, 21:38
I have a friend with two modems in his house sat next to each other

paul26uk
22-10-2007, 18:09
Thank you for your responses :)

Mr Angry
22-10-2007, 18:13
<deleted>

The use / sale of multiple modems, for whatever reason, appears not to bother VM too much at all!!

<edit Rob: It bothers Cable Forum though ;)>

Smok3y666
23-10-2007, 14:05
You can <snip> it's naughty.

lordy
23-10-2007, 15:19
Getting a router is generally the correct solution. Esp if you want the computers to talk to one another, share printers etc. just create an internal network. This could even be a wireless network.

Getting another modem is probably the wrong approach for what you want to achieve. It's not impossible, but requires either another account (more money) or a dodgy modem (theft of service)

evilmonkey
23-10-2007, 16:29
They only allow one BB subscription per household unless you have your house recategorised as two seperate flats. If you attempt to put more than one active modem on in the house on a splitter and they find out you would be disconnected and black marked.

MovedGoalPosts
23-10-2007, 17:32
Once again we remind everybody not to discuss - or even hint at - ways that cable services can be obtained without a proper subscription.

Please do abide by this forum's terms of use. Even if Virgin Media don't want to rush to close the loopholes, we don't want to promote any such activity. Thanks.

kpanchev
28-10-2007, 18:51
They only allow one BB subscription per household unless you have your house recategorised as two seperate flats. If you attempt to put more than one active modem on in the house on a splitter and they find out you would be disconnected and black marked.
That's complete rubbish, you can have as many modems as you want, provided you have a separate account for each of them! In my house I have two accounts (one on my name, one on my wife's name) and I have two modems, both legally installed from a virgin media installer, who just added a splitter to the coax cable and connected both of them. So the answer to the question is: yes, you can have more than one modem, but you need to pay a separate subscription for each of them!

MovedGoalPosts
28-10-2007, 19:08
It was true that you could have more than one modem in a single house, if you paid the subscription. Customers who have that facility have been able to retain it. However, since Virgin Media merged their billing systems, only one modem is possible.

lsproc
28-10-2007, 19:24
Your best bet in this case would be to get a router or if you are on a cheap buget, a hub (5 port ones for a few quid on dabs/ebuyer).

kpanchev
28-10-2007, 19:35
It was true that you could have more than one modem in a single house, if you paid the subscription. Customers who have that facility have been able to retain it. However, since Virgin Media merged their billing systems, only one modem is possible.
When was this? Because I got my second subscription less than 4 months ago, and the merge happened before that????

Stuart
28-10-2007, 19:40
They've only recently (since about september) started merging the billing systems.

lsproc
28-10-2007, 19:42
Isnt it done by now?

Dark Fiber
29-10-2007, 12:49
(Your best bet in this case would be to get a router) or if you are on a cheap buget, a hub (5 port ones for a few quid on dabs/ebuyer).

:shocked: