PDA

View Full Version : Outside grey box

tbopearachchi
19-10-2007, 00:11
Hi
My phone is down as my phone cabel accidently got disconnected from the grey box, on the outside wall by workmen diggin foundation for an extension. My TV and broadband are working. To get inside the box I will have to break a seal. I phoned customer services (? in India) who arranged a technician to come next monday. I enquired about trying to fix it myself, but was told they cannot give any information about it. Will I get into trouble if I open the box and try to reconnect the telephone wires?

stanno
19-10-2007, 09:04
Hi
My phone is down as my phone cabel accidently got disconnected from the grey box, on the outside wall by workmen diggin foundation for an extension. My TV and broadband are working. To get inside the box I will have to break a seal. I phoned customer services (? in India) who arranged a technician to come next monday. I enquired about trying to fix it myself, but was told they cannot give any information about it. Will I get into trouble if I open the box and try to reconnect the telephone wires?

Count yourself lucky! 4 days for an engineer's visit is something I could have done with - I waited 9 days for an engineer to reconnect a wire which VM installations had pulled out.

As for the grey box, mine is open and always has been after several VM visits, so there is no way they will blame you for opening it. Just say that's how they left it.

If you get it fixed don't forget to cancel the engineer of they will charge you for the appointment.

tbopearachchi
19-10-2007, 09:43
Thanks for the advice. I am bit worried about messing things up. I may wait till Monday anyway. I will have to have the box moved eventually in a few weeks time. Do they charge for the work?

chickendippers
19-10-2007, 10:07
I think if you want something moving you may have to pay the standard call-out charge of £75. I'm really not sure if you'll be charged if the workmen cut the wire, if you are you should be able to claim the cost back against their insurance.

tbopearachchi
23-10-2007, 13:51
HI
I had my phoneline fixed by an engineer on Monday as promised. It wa straight forward and he explained me how it's done. Just blue and white wires need connecting. He used "jelly bean connectors" but twisting and insulation tape should do the job. As regarding moving the box a DIY job can be done using a sattelite cable and a F connector for TV & broadband and telephone cable for the telephone.
Thanks for earlier advice

stanno
23-10-2007, 14:16
Well done. You have the knowledge now!

My VM engineer was a really decent bloke also. Explained where my supply came from, where the optic cable finished & the coaxial started, etc.

MovedGoalPosts
23-10-2007, 14:47
The cables, on the street side of the phone master socket, and the white internal wall isolator box for TV or broadband, shouldn't be interfered with by the customer. If you must move them, make sure you use the correct grade of coaxial - there's lots of types, and ensure the connectors are a sound electic-machanical joint. Changing the cable length can alter the resistance of the wiring to the signal, maybe subtly, but if your signal was marginal, things can go awry. Get it wrong and you risk degrading your own signal and potentially that of your neighbours.

PS1
28-10-2007, 21:12
Well done. You have the knowledge now!

yeah,its as simple as that isnt it:dunce:
(im being sarcastic)

stanno
28-10-2007, 21:46
yeah,its as simple as that isnt it:dunce:
(im being sarcastic)

No, you're being a t**t. Why butt in if you don't have anything to say.

PS Learn to use punctuation before you start pressing the :dunce: button :dozey:

PS1
29-10-2007, 20:07
tut,tut,tut......now now,not a little bit wound up now are we?
not even going to bother argue with you right now as im sure, with attitude like that you ll be around here for a long time yet.
(guess what.....................im being sarcastic AGAIN):dunce: