PDA

View Full Version : Modem & Wireless router

v.rabboni
18-10-2007, 23:45
Dear friends, I have an internet connection with Virgin, and i'm using the moden they sent me, model speedtouch 330.
I decided to become wireless and i just bought the router Netgear wgt624 108 mbps, that is said to be compatible with virgin.
But i see that the modem i have has only a line in and not a line out to go the router.
I was so thinking to buy another modem, could youplease advice me wich modem i could buy that is compatible with vorgin and allows me to enter in and use my router in a wireless coonnection?

many thanks

vittorio

MovedGoalPosts
18-10-2007, 23:48
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Firstly, you cannot buy modems to use with Virgin Media Cable. It's the one they supply or nothing. All you need is the single ethernet port on the modem. Connect that to the Router's WAN (internet) port, instead of direct between modem and PC, reboot modem and router and the router should be connected.

If you have an adsl virgin Media service, you can again connect the ethernet port to the modem. Alternatively you can get a combined ADSL modem router.

jo.v
18-10-2007, 23:52
You have a speedtouch modem and so are on an ADSL connection. so need an ADSL router

you would then connect your speedtouch to your router

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:48 ----------

although, sometimes you may be able to use router instead of modem.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

best to check with router manufacturer for best set up help. all routers are different