PDA

View Full Version : Packet Loss + Ridiculous Tracert hops :s

Inf.
18-10-2007, 09:28
Recently ive been seeing around 6% P/L constant in whatever im doing with spikes hitting atleast 20%. In trying to sort this problem, i got a few people to tracert me to see whats up, the first was a mate in UK, second is elsewhere in Europe, Holland i think.

http://www.dgcoding.co.uk/retardedhops.JPG

as you can see, it appears to be going from the NTL servers to some weird boxes in the same location before going off to the BY servers and coming to me. Seems it could be made a lot more efficient

http://www.dgcoding.co.uk/retardedhops2.JPG

i have 2mb cable from Virgin media, at my previous address i had no such issues like this, any ideas as to the reasoning/possible solutions?

thanks a lot

Inf.

Inf.
18-10-2007, 13:03
ran winmtr to try and pinpoint where i start getting packetloss along the trace

turns out its every server VM use

www.dgcoding.co.uk/route.htm

and

www.dgcoding.co.uk/route2.htm

inflatedcow
18-10-2007, 13:10
Yeah I've been having major issues with my internet too, I've been getting packet loss in the region of 62% - And trying a tracert to virgin.net is unsuccessful. Browsing is painfully slow and gaming is out of the question, I disconnect every 3 minutes or sooner. I'm not even sure VM are aware of this I hope they are.

I'm in Hampshire by the way, South East.

18-10-2007, 13:26
YEP.

Its official VIRGIN MEDIA IS A PILE OF ****E (in our area(s) at least)

If you are NOT carrying out tasks such as gaming, or other tasks which require real time user input, you might not see that your service is way below satisfactory ( which in iteself does not legislate the fact you are not getting what you paod for, even though you dont notice it), but I as well as others play online games, and this Virgin Media/ NTL/whatever they are calling themselves is a complete waste of time and money.

And unless you speak Indian or Punjab, dont bother calling the tech support, which i may add, conveniently changed from free, to 25p / minute plus connection charge on the day I had my net installed, robbing *******s. Those **** heads in the call center will find any excuse to put the blame on the end-users' own hardware/software...but its like this people....right now, as I type, my internet is like UBER fast...but once everyone finshes Uni/work, and they all sign on, the packetloss is like record breaking, and the lags, omg, someone please give me my BT connection back.

**** you Virgin Meda.

Rik
18-10-2007, 14:18
And 386 you registered just to post that?
Man you must be bored :D

Original Poster have you called tech support?

Inf.
18-10-2007, 14:50
i have not yet, although i have considered it but from the horror stories ive heard of tech support i didnt think it was worth the bother

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

well i just phoned them, and surprisingly they actually knew what i was talking about and said they know the problem and it should be sorted in a few days time

Cheers for the help

-- Problem Closed --

:)

18-10-2007, 16:25
[removed]

Jonathan90
18-10-2007, 17:29
dude you coming out a bit strong ain't ya telling someone ***** its not nice

inflatedcow
18-10-2007, 17:32
I've been having this problem about 3 days now so how much longer are they expecting to let it drag on for? Does anyone know the cause of all of this and will it come to down more traffic shaping and capping?

Lets hope it doesn't last too long as I need to do a lot of remote connection work which is virtually impossible at the moment, oh and my online racing is a no go for tonight :rolleyes:

Edit : Got to love 386's passion 'omg' - Classic!
Edit2 : Takes me about a minute to load up to google.co.uk - This ain't fun :(

Inf.
18-10-2007, 17:37
well what they told me Inflatedcow was there theres a box down in the south of birmingham (my area), and they're currently routing a different area through our exchange until its fixed, which is why the packetloss and slowdown is occuring (allegedly)

inflatedcow
18-10-2007, 17:39
Ok cool mate thanks for the information! Lets hope it gets sorted soon enough.

Rik
18-10-2007, 21:57
Can you believe I got a warning for my post above?

Please cancel my account Paul just in case your PMs dont work.

Thanks very much. :)

Cableminow
20-10-2007, 08:52
Noticed this on another site.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEAkZluZylOpxxxxXE

Looks like the problems may be hitting Virgin's ADSL users too.

picklefactory
23-10-2007, 13:12
Not sure if it's the same problem, but could be. I'm a new user, just installed VM on Saturday, TV/Phones fine, cable BB is pants. Tech support giving me the expected answer that there's nothing wrong at their end and I have a software problem (The cry of the ISP techy!!!). But I'm experiencing similar symptoms, worse if possible. I can barely complete a full webpage download, some will just hang after a few frames. Ran all the security gear I have with no joy. System restore also didn't help. I'm still checking out pc issues as best I can, just in case, but as I'm also in Birmingham (NE, area 12) maybe I'm just getting the same as you.

Inf.
23-10-2007, 13:42
my internet went down sometime over last weekend, couldve been saturday and im sure they were routing us through a different box for a day or two, it seems fixed now but this may be the cause of your problems

picklefactory
23-10-2007, 13:56
I'll check again when I get home. If it's no better, I'll start new thread, don't want to pinch yours. I'm not as up on all this as some of you guys, so I'll need to start from some basics.
Glad yours has picked up, let's see how long it lasts.

Super_LEEDS
23-10-2007, 14:00
I'm suffering from the same problems in Leeds.

Can't find anything mentioned on the site or on the freephone number that tells you about local network problems etc. They are not aware or not doing anything about it!! :(

evilmonkey
23-10-2007, 14:55
The extra NTL hops are believe it or not supposed to be for redundancy as in if the TW network fails to route or is too busy they can route via the NTL network but the problem is that both networks are operated differently (static vs dynamic route tables) so you get dropped packets and random connection problems as a result.

TheHatmaker
25-10-2007, 22:33
yeah- ive been unable to connect to steam (counterstrike) servers for like 3 weeks now. Im in hampshire too. Also cant visit various specific webistes - unless i go thru a web proxy! not ideal. I only have BB to play games online and i Havent been able to for three weeks! . Id move to another provider, but, theyre all fairly crappy.

Another week and im going to a BT line though.

and not getting a weather feed to my desktop - smarting from that i tell you.:rolleyes:

Dawn Falcon
26-10-2007, 01:03
I've been getting PL in a similar fashion between 1% and 15% depending on the time of day for months. I'd love to change to ADSL but I can't - line is provided by the landlord.

sinatosk
04-03-2008, 10:13
yeah- ive been unable to connect to steam (counterstrike) servers for like 3 weeks now. Im in hampshire too. Also cant visit various specific webistes - unless i go thru a web proxy! not ideal. I only have BB to play games online and i Havent been able to for three weeks! . Id move to another provider, but, theyre all fairly crappy.

Another week and im going to a BT line though.

and not getting a weather feed to my desktop - smarting from that i tell you.:rolleyes:

Yesterday I was playing Team Fortress 2 with no problems... now today I can't log into my steam account or connect to http://support.steampowered.com/ ...

dav
04-03-2008, 19:40
Getting regular packet loss up to 25% of late.

Probably just the pipes stuffed to the gunnels. Pull your finger out VM.

jcuk
04-03-2008, 19:59
perhaps they are rerouting through ntl network as key areas on telewest network are being upgraded in certain areas.

have ya'll tried wiping your hard disk and reinstalling windows? if that aint worked, go and request to speak to a manager in tech support, i know tsc are dire at what they do and its rare they are good at it, but speaking to a team leader may get your issue referred to 2nd line and perhaps get fixed then?

usually though, they would book you a tech, and if need be the tech will arrange a network technician to have a look

dav
04-03-2008, 20:12
At the moment, for me, it's an annoyance at most and is quite sporadic.
I'm not at the dummy-spitting stage just yet. I realise that, from time to time, networks get squeezed for one reason or another. If it looks like not clearing up after a few days/week, then I'll take it further.