PDA

View Full Version : Connection Issues

SlimTim
17-10-2007, 21:16
Ok I'm going to give you as much info as I can.....hope you guys can help.

Specific problem is that i lose connection in the evening usually around half 7 onwards. other times at weekends. not sure bout daytimes during week as at work but previously when not at work connection usually fine, also mornings from 6am till 8am is fine. this has been going on since i've moved to this house 5 months or so ago but is much much worse now.

I "feel" that this problem only occurs with peak usage times i.e. evenings mostly and more now caus it's dark & cold out and more people using internet...i have no basis for this just my gut instinct....feel free to agree or disabuse me of this idea but if it is and ntl/virgin can't fix it I can't afford to not change provider....i play poker online and continualy losing connection has made me have a minus month for first time in a year!

the set up....

Shared house, wireless connection with 3 users all using pc laptops with xp sp2, using ntl/virgin in cambridge (supposedly silicon valley of uk....a f'in joke!!) router is a ntl 250 when connection problems occur wireless speed shown on computer is high and signal strength show's generally as good to very good. problems occur with no regard to specific ciurcumstances except times (evenings & w/ends) i.e. doesn't matter is dishwasher/washingmachine/heating is on (sounds weird but this effected bt wireless router at my previous address) doesn't matter if only me or all of us are online at the time.

downstream receive power level seems to be around -11 at the moment (evening time) i can post other figures later when i've looked.

this is not my account and i've asked the account holder to phone ntl but he keeps forgetting/ too busy and i was going to wait till he had but got so bad this evening i just had to do something as can't play poker as bloody connection......:mad:

now doing line quality test will post when it's done.

hope this is enough info for you all sorry about the essay.

thanks in advance

Slim

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

my test results here : http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2296038

I've done usual thhings to get connection back when lost i.e. reset modem, restarted comp, used repair connection option etc sometimes works sometimes dont.

cheers
slim

Mick Fisher
17-10-2007, 21:17
Phone India :( Get an engineer booked.

If it gets fixed, all well and good. If not, go elsewhere. Try to avoid being strung along.

homealone
17-10-2007, 21:59
I'm confused

The NTL250 is a cable modem, not a router.

If that means you have a cable connection, then there is no point doing an ADSL line test designed for telephone connections, not cable.

One possible cause of the disconnections with 3 computers being used at once, is saturation of the upstream path - cable isn't very generous with upstream bandwidth???