PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband - Internet Explorer. "This page cannot be displayed" Error.

satter21
16-10-2007, 22:51
Hiya, i'm trying to fix a close friend's internet problem but getting nowhere decided to get a bit of help...

The problem is he is unable to connect to the internet - all he gets is "page cannot be displayed" error. (Using IE6)

We're in an ex c&W area (Blackburn). He has an NTL modem which is connected to PC using an ethernet cable.

He did have Zonealarm as his firewall but I've since uninstalled it and using the XP Firewall.

I have tried system restore, IPConfig release / renew, I have tried removing and reinstalling the network adaptor and remove/reinstall IE...but no luck...

The lights on the front of the modem which are lit are - power, enet, sync and ready. The send light occasionally flashes.

I tried the MSN Explorer but this also failed to connect. I am able to ping sites ok.

I haven't yet tried flushing the DNS (will try tomorrow) but is there anything else you guys can think of to try before completely formatting it.

Thanks

cybernetic_tiger
17-10-2007, 01:49
In IE you could try surfing to http://212.58.224.36

If you get to the BBC's website then you have a DNS issue (check your DNS servers), if you still get page cannot be displayed then there is a bigger issue with the connection or PC.

HTH

Mr.X
17-10-2007, 17:33
You should be able to ping by both URL and IP address. Just check you can (It'll verify DNS is working properly). If you can then its almost definatley firewall related.