PDA

View Full Version : Retentions deals?

Vegeta
16-10-2007, 16:32
Are there any deals doing the rounds for 20mbit broadband?

Thanks!

Jules
16-10-2007, 17:12
Depends who you talk to, all you can do is ring them and ask.

etccarmageddon
16-10-2007, 18:42
last time I spoke to them a few months back it was something around £8 off each of the tiers - e.g. you could have a choice of £10 or £17 or £28 depending on the speed you require.

xspeedyx
16-10-2007, 18:52
why do you want a deal just pay the standard rate

nicke261192
16-10-2007, 19:58
I agree, allthough it is nice to get a deal, getting a deal means Virgin earns less money. They could really do with that money to improve there services

Mick Fisher
16-10-2007, 20:21
Last time I spoke to them I was awarded (without asking) a good will gesture of 3 months half price 20meg BB. Unfortunately and unsurprisingly this was not reflected in the subsequent invoice. I would ring up :( billing but I have now 99.9% decided to dump VM because of continuing poor service and issues. Regrettably I feel VM no longer offer value for money.

LiamTG
16-10-2007, 20:30
Last time I spoke to them I was awarded (without asking) a good will gesture of 3 months half price 20meg BB. Unfortunately and unsurprisingly this was not reflected in the subsequent invoice. I would ring up :( billing but I have now 99.9% decided to dump VM because of continuing poor service and issues. Regrettably I feel VM no longer offer value for money.

I have been wandering the same myself. I have till April for my phone and internet and am currently 'shopping' for Sky HD box for TV.

The price difference isn't much different any longer.

Mick Fisher
16-10-2007, 20:42
I have been wandering the same myself. I have till April for my phone and internet and am currently 'shopping' for Sky HD box for TV.

The price difference isn't much different any longer.
VM so called 20meg = £37.00 per month. Be Pro is now £22.00 per month. £15.00 per month less for what is now purported to be a superior service to VM's offering in some, maybe lot's, of area's is a saving not to be sneezed at.
However I wouldn't even be looking at Be if my VM conn was solid. Unfortunately it isn't and going by VM's present predilection of clawing in the cash while spending the absolute minimum I really can't see it improving in the foreseeable future.

Enuff
16-10-2007, 22:06
I've been on a few deals with virgin/ntl for a couple of years. I always ask what deals are available, i'm on 20mb for £17.50 at the moment.

Mick Fisher
17-10-2007, 02:58
I've been on a few deals with virgin/ntl for a couple of years. I always ask what deals are available, i'm on 20mb for £17.50 at the moment.
The way my conn is working these days I would consider £17.50 to be a complete rip off for it.

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 06:13
Same here.

Enuff
17-10-2007, 07:30
My connection is working just fine, 2.3mb/s most of the time, and for £17.50 i'd say that wasn't bad at all. :)

slowcoach
17-10-2007, 08:01
VIP is being offered at £56pm to new customers and current customers who add a new service, just had my letter.

xspeedyx
17-10-2007, 10:50
are you sure that not the ip offer which is vip WITHOUT sports and movies

slowcoach
17-10-2007, 12:55
are you sure that not the ip offer which is vip WITHOUT sports and movies
It's the TV XL package which is included, has 6 Setanta sports channels, I assumed that VIP was just the 3 XL packages. :dunce:

Nemeth
17-10-2007, 14:18
Because £37 for a service with traffic management is not good value for money, especially for someone like me who lives a relatively short distance from a be* enabled exchange.

For anyone who would otherwise be limited to ADSL MAX the cost is easier to justify, but the performance is still hit and miss and the support weak.

Richy99
18-10-2007, 10:06
VM so called 20meg = £37.00 per month. Be Pro is now £22.00 per month. £15.00 per month less for what is now purported to be a superior service to VM's offering in some, maybe lot's, of area's is a saving not to be sneezed at.
However I wouldn't even be looking at Be if my VM conn was solid. Unfortunately it isn't and going by VM's present predilection of clawing in the cash while spending the absolute minimum I really can't see it improving in the foreseeable future.

dont forget the BT line rental of £11 so it works out about £4 cheaper

melevittfl
18-10-2007, 10:35
I agree, allthough it is nice to get a deal, getting a deal means Virgin earns less money. They could really do with that money to improve there services

There is just so much wrong with this attitude. And people wonder why "rip off Britain" is so true.

Do you think the Virgin Media executives sit there and think "Well, maybe we should lower out prices. Lowering our prices means out customers have more money. They could really do with that money to pay their rent."?

ECW_Original
18-10-2007, 11:41
There is just so much wrong with this attitude. And people wonder why "rip off Britain" is so true.

Do you think the Virgin Media executives sit there and think "Well, maybe we should lower out prices. Lowering our prices means out customers have more money. They could really do with that money to pay their rent."?

AND does anyone think that ANY executives (AND polititions as these are the VERY worst) sit behind their desks thinking, now I earn more money in one week than a normal working person earns in 1-3 years, i think I'll take a paycut??

Not on your nelly mate!!

EVERYONE in this country ONLY thinks about money, after all, its the root of everything, including evil, these days its not about what can I do for someone else' more like 'what can i get out of it & how much money can I/we make!
And the very bad news is, its only gonna get worse, not better unfortunately :(

Sirius
18-10-2007, 13:51
Because £37 for a service with traffic management is not good value for money, especially for someone like me who lives a relatively short distance from a be* enabled exchange.

For anyone who would otherwise be limited to ADSL MAX the cost is easier to justify, but the performance is still hit and miss and the support weak.

Then move to be* is you think there more cost effective. :rolleyes:

Rik
18-10-2007, 14:28
Because £37 for a service with traffic management is not good value for money

You are kidding right?

You think £37 for a 20MB line where you can download as much as you want (exc 4-12) is not good value? and where you still get a 5MB line even when shaped, and can still DOWNLOAD AS MUCH AS YOU WANT.

You need to to move to Australia where they are have 20gig per month allowances and 256k upload speeds, either that or move onto Tiscali :D :D

£37 per month for a rock solid 20MB and even shaped 5MB line between 4-12 is amazing value!!

ONE VERY HAPPY VM BROADBAND CUSTOMER!

Bring on the flamers!! ;)

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Obviously if your connections slow and not up to scratch then you have good reason to go to retentions.

If its working as it should tho, its very good value.

iglu
18-10-2007, 15:56
One of my loyalty packs went up by 50p, from £25 to £25.50. Just to confirm that the loyalty packs are still with us :)

stewart28
18-10-2007, 17:54
V+ box for £25 instalation on website just now, first 500 online customers

Mick Fisher
18-10-2007, 18:20
Well that is an alternate way of looking at it but since I have had a BT line for, what seems to be, time immemorial, to me it is not an additional expense.
The landline I didn't have but which VM insisted I pay for as a condition to receive their diabolically substandard (to me) DTV service is indeed something I find hard not to forget.
Speaking entirely from my own POV, the only way I can with any authority, I stand by my original calculation.
Actually from switching to Sky and my, as yet (been sidetracked), proposed switch to BE my £97.00 month to VM (when I had DTV) will shrink to £36.00 month divided equally between Sky and BE. So you see BT's charge is not included in either of those amounts. A £61.00 pounds a month saving for receiving a wonderful Sky+ service (that just works) and a potentially better BB than the crap VM are now serving to me will be extremely gratefully received by your truly.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

£37 per month for a rock solid 20MB and even shaped 5MB line between 4-12 is amazing value!!
Agreed as I remember stating previously (somewhere :)) if my VM BB performed as brilliantly as everything VM appears to do for you then I doubt that I would even be looking at BE, price cut or not, however since Virginification all my services from VM have degraded badly. VM offer no explanation or time scale when they expect normal service to resume so my take on it is that this is all, or worse, we can expect from VM for the foreseeable future.
I am not interested in deals, I just want reliable services that work as they should.

Arthurgray50@blu
18-10-2007, 19:08
It always makes me laugh, when l hear and read about VM need the money, when they give out these special deals to ' entice ' customers to VM,.

VM makes millions of pounds out of different deals they make each year, with various companies, and when they pay ex-directors massives amount of money ie wages, bonuses as a pay off, l believe one director earns a massive £150.000 per year, have a guess how much l earn, £19.000 per year l work seven days per week, how long do you reckon a VM director works per week, a lot less than a VM engineer earns, to have to listen to complaints from customers, who have a poor service from a major company, l am sure that if we were given a 'good' service then l am sure that customers would not object to paying a lot more than the retention deals they have at the momeny.:)

gobbledigook
18-10-2007, 21:22
if you ask nicely you should be able to get it for £25.00, thats a £12.50 discount. although i think you now have to have a phone-line to get this

otherwise the standard £8 discount is applicable to all tariffs.

Mick Fisher
19-10-2007, 01:17
Actually from switching to Sky and my, as yet (been sidetracked), proposed switch to BE my £97.00 month to VM (when I had DTV) will shrink to £36.00 month divided equally between Sky and BE.
Sorry folks I lied, well not really, just can't count cause £18 + £22 = £40 so I'm not saving £61 per month only £57, and to be perfectly fair the £97 did in clude Sky movies and Sports which I since dumped. So I think Sky Movies and Sports was £23? or £27 per month, what ever, I'm still looking at being at least £30 per month better off though.

stewart28
19-10-2007, 13:20
Just ordered V+ this morning, spoke to retentions and got the V+ box for £25 and am getting free xbox live for one year on their halo 3 offer.

DES_1001
19-10-2007, 13:33
nice one stewart28

Nemeth
19-10-2007, 14:08
Then move to be* is you think there more cost effective. :rolleyes:
I would have done had retentions not offered me 20mb for £27 a month :)

You are kidding right?

You think £37 for a 20MB line where you can download as much as you want (exc 4-12) is not good value? and where you still get a 5MB line even when shaped, and can still DOWNLOAD AS MUCH AS YOU WANT.
Well 4-12 is quite a significant chunk of the day, especially for people who would otherwise be at work or asleep.

Again if your only alternative is an ADSL MAX service and your usage isn't limited to peak times then 20mb for £37 still looks good. But really for £37 a month it should genuinely be a 20mb service - it isn't because of traffic management - and that's not withstanding the significant proportion of customers like Mick who aren't getting good service.

Personally I've been a customer since Telewest Cable Internets dialup service, I've also worked for an ADSL reseller. The fact I'm still here and a VM customer after all that time should tell you enough.

smeagoly1
19-10-2007, 14:22
May not have had a retention deal, but had a VM sales call before the summer hols.
I thougth uh oh not another buy our TV package and was ready to just say no thanks my freeview is all i need. Then they quoated, we can save you money, woohooo my wallet said. I had XL broadband, phone and mobile....then they said well you can add our basic TV package and save something like 13 squid a month i was already paying, so in a nutshell i got tv for free :) So i have the whole shebang package for less than i was paying phone and BB for. Apart from some initial BB probs this year now sorted out, everything is working hunkydory :) so can't grumble at their marketing.

stewart28
19-10-2007, 16:46
the way i see it is, if you don't pester them all the time and ensure you drop other advisors names into the conversation you will not get anywhere.

I was paying about £67+call display and non-dd handling charge(so £73.75) and had XL on all packages but no sports or movies.

So now £85 flat for everything and now HD ready.

Copperfaced Jack
19-10-2007, 23:13
??? I was getting charged £11 line rental by VM, so now I have left, switched to BT and Bethere, the line rental is exactly the same as it was with VM.
Except now i will get a more stable and faster service with adsl2 £19 per month cheaper...........

ferritt
20-10-2007, 10:57
Just noticed this thread and thought I'd post what I got afew days ago. Moving house next week and at the minute no virgin services are in the new property so I thought great chance to get a better deal from virgin or possible move away to sky. At the minute I only have basic phone a 4mb broadband costing £36 p/m. After a quick call to virgin cs and afew mentions of the keywords sky and BE broadband I get an offer of 4mb + phone for £26 p/m for life with no installation charges. Told them I'd think about it and to ring back in half an hour. Half an hour later I tell them nah still no good. afew more choice words of sky and BE again and then get offered 20mb broadband and phone for £26 p/m. Needless to say I took that deal straight away. So I'm very happy and cant wait to get my hands on 20mb.
cheers

Cobbydaler
20-10-2007, 11:54
Well, I've just spent a productive 40 minutes on the phone to customer services...

Since starting with a 3 for £30 deal with ntl: early last year I've swapped my services about a bit & always had to end up with a retention deal to match the original (supposedly permanent) package pro rata. None of the retention deals were 'lifetime' & had to be renegotiated every 3 months, which was a pain in the backside...

Finally today I'm told about the £19.50 'loyalty bonus' discount for having all three services. So with my 50p discount for e-billing I now have basic phone, XL TV & XL broadband for £48.50 a month permanently (12 month contract)... :)

Enuff
20-10-2007, 11:54
Just noticed this thread and thought I'd post what I got afew days ago. Moving house next week and at the minute no virgin services are in the new property so I thought great chance to get a better deal from virgin or possible move away to sky. At the minute I only have basic phone a 4mb broadband costing £36 p/m. After a quick call to virgin cs and afew mentions of the keywords sky and BE broadband I get an offer of 4mb + phone for £26 p/m for life with no installation charges. Told them I'd think about it and to ring back in half an hour. Half an hour later I tell them nah still no good. afew more choice words of sky and BE again and then get offered 20mb broadband and phone for £26 p/m. Needless to say I took that deal straight away. So I'm very happy and cant wait to get my hands on 20mb.
cheers

Nice 1 :tu:

xpod
20-10-2007, 12:10
EVERYONE in this country ONLY thinks about money, after all, its the root of everything, including evil, these days its not about what can I do for someone else' more like 'what can i get out of it & how much money can I/we make!

Thats a pretty sweeping statement you`ve made there...

Money is not the root of evil.......the love of money is root of evil(so they say).
Once(if) you can learn to stop loving it so much you`ll soon start to see what really matters.

Enuff
20-10-2007, 12:21

Money is not the root of evil.......the love of money is root of evil(so they say).
Once(if) you can learn to stop loving it so much you`ll soon start to see what really matters.

But without money, there would be no love for it. So it looks to me like money is the prime root of evil. Or why don't we just say that man is the root of all evil and stop blaming money?

xpod
20-10-2007, 14:58
So it looks to me like money is the prime root of evil

Define "evil"?
People indeed do some pretty terrible things in the persuit of a pound note but then there are many many people out there do even more henious things to their fellow humans(young & old) because they are genuinely evil.

Greed and evil are not always so easy to tell apart i suppose.

Mick Fisher
20-10-2007, 19:25

Totally agree. :tu:

2old4this
20-10-2007, 22:13
cheers

i be moving house hopfully in 3 weeks time so i see what the give me at the moment am paying £29 for 20mb

SwgLee
21-10-2007, 16:13
I was without internet service on Saturday 22nd September.
Again on Saturday 29th September i was again without broadband (worked all other days) so i spent 40 minutes on the phone and was ready to cancel phone and internet.

After going through to retentions, they said if they send an enginner out the following week and reduced my bill by £21 a month (they asked why i want to cancel phone also and i said i can get cheaper combined elsewhere) would i stay. I said yes if they fix the problem.

Week after, day enginner was due, internet was working fine, and enginner said no fault (how though i do not know as no broadband for last 2 saturdays).

Just received my current invoice and guess what. No £21 off my bill.
To make matters worse i have been without broadband from 9am till 3.45 pm again today.

Spent another 45 mins on phone to them only to end up being told retentions was monday-friday so could not help.

Absolutly sick of virgin media now. I play online games, mostly on weekends and this is now 3 out of the last 6 weekends i have lost a day.

Instead of looking at buying Northen Rock, Virgin should fix current issues with current services.

Cancelling with Virgin 9am tomorrow morning as had enough now.

lee

Mick Fisher
21-10-2007, 16:33
I was without internet service on Saturday 22nd September.
Again on Saturday 29th September i was again without broadband (worked all other days) so i spent 40 minutes on the phone and was ready to cancel phone and internet.

After going through to retentions, they said if they send an enginner out the following week and reduced my bill by £21 a month (they asked why i want to cancel phone also and i said i can get cheaper combined elsewhere) would i stay. I said yes if they fix the problem.

Week after, day enginner was due, internet was working fine, and enginner said no fault (how though i do not know as no broadband for last 2 saturdays).

Just received my current invoice and guess what. No £21 off my bill.
To make matters worse i have been without broadband from 9am till 3.45 pm again today.

Spent another 45 mins on phone to them only to end up being told retentions was monday-friday so could not help.

Absolutly sick of virgin media now. I play online games, mostly on weekends and this is now 3 out of the last 6 weekends i have lost a day.

Instead of looking at buying Northen Rock, Virgin should fix current issues with current services.

Cancelling with Virgin 9am tomorrow morning as had enough now.

lee
Sorry to hear all that Lee. :(
Can't say I'm surprised as in some ways it just mirrors my own experience.
I don't blame you for cancelling. I feel the same way myself.
Hope you find a more responsible provider.

AmAtoL
21-10-2007, 21:34
One of the wifes friends daughters boyfriend who happens to be a solicitor, gets "the lot" and I mean the lot for £12 pm.
That was after a little problem over accounts, that took a while to sort out.
He is in credit with VM at the moment.
I dare say this situation will continue indefinitely....
Yes I do believe it