PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for holiday...

Mr_love_monkey
16-10-2007, 12:52
Ok, we're talking about going away before Christmas, for a week or so - probably late november.
What we want is :

1) Somewhere that's not too far - 4 or 5 hours flight is absolute max
2) No vaccinations
3) Warm

Anyone got any thoughts ?

Paul K
16-10-2007, 12:58
Here? (http://www.centerparcs.com/)

lauzjp
16-10-2007, 13:00
Egypt. Morroco. ok, so they are just two places that I personally would go, any time of the year, lol. You could phone or go into a travel agent and say 'this is my total budget, now find me somewhere warm!' ? They can then look at last minute availablity and perhaps find you a good deal.

I'm looking at just about managing a few days in Dublin next month, but I have to go to London and get my passport changed to my married name (£114! though that is the one day service, only about £20 more than the week service) :eek: - but then I have noted that Thomas Cook are taking £50 deposits for next years holidays, as I just happened to walk past at the weekend... :D well a brochure is like free reading material isn't it :p:

Mr_love_monkey
16-10-2007, 13:00

Won't it be cold?

lauzjp
16-10-2007, 13:02

ooh, I cannot wait until the one in Bedfordshire is built! :hyper: I've always wanted to go there!

Mr_love_monkey
16-10-2007, 13:05
Egypt. Morroco.

both need vaccinations

I'm looking at just about managing a few days in Dublin next month, but I have to go to London and get my passport changed to my married name (£114! though that is the one day service, only about £20 more than the week service)

Why? just travel on your old one, you don't need to get it changed over

Paul K
16-10-2007, 13:07
Won't it be cold?
It's fully enclosed so I doubt it will get too cold. Personally I would check out a few lastminute type sites and then see what the temps are like using google. Obviously your flight time will restrict where you aim for but anywhere other than the UK will probably feel quite warm ;)

lauzjp
16-10-2007, 13:09
both need vaccinations > no they don't *need* them, its just recommended - I've never had jabs for Egypt.

Why? just travel on your old one, you don't need to get it changed over >

We're going with Ryanair and the 'ticket' was booked as Mrs Laura Price. I checked their t&c's (I'm not paying £1 a minute to be told the same thing!) and it says passport must match name on ticket. :( It's my own fault. Oh well, I'd need a new passport at some point in the near future anyway, and better I do it now before it blimmin' goes up again!?

Wicked_and_Crazy
16-10-2007, 13:12
Algarve?

We went for Christmas a few years back, resonably warm, no too far away and plenty of PORT!!

Mr_love_monkey
16-10-2007, 13:19
no they don't *need* them, its just recommended - I've never had jabs for Egypt.

We have a 3 year old, and the Mrs is pregnant - don't really want to take risks, either with vaccinations which can cause defects (the Dr recommended against them), or illnesses.

We're going with Ryanair and the 'ticket' was booked as Mrs Laura Price. I checked their t&c's (I'm not paying £1 a minute to be told the same thing!) and it says passport must match name on ticket. :( It's my own fault. Oh well, I'd need a new passport at some point in the near future anyway, and better I do it now before it blimmin' goes up again!?

Ah, that was daft then :)

Saaf_laandon_mo
16-10-2007, 13:26
Sharm el Sheik is cheap, hot and within those flight times.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

We have a 3 year old, and the Mrs is pregnant - don't really want to take risks, either with vaccinations which can cause defects (the Dr recommended against them), or illnesses.

Our last holiday abroad before my daughter was born was to Tunisia. My wife was 6 months pregnant at the time. Really enjoyed it, no jabs needed, nice food, very relaxing. Dont know what the wearther is like towards the end of the year, but when we went in July it was pretty awesome.

I'd recommend it, good value for money too.

tweetiepooh
16-10-2007, 14:24
Cyprus is nice, drive on proper side of road, food OK (go for mama's special) and get away from Paphos, Larnaka, Limasol etc, go to the Trudos and/or northwest corner.

They also love kids. We went when wife expecting number one child and were fine.

Mr_love_monkey
16-10-2007, 14:34
Cyprus is nice, drive on proper side of road, food OK (go for mama's special) and get away from Paphos, Larnaka, Limasol etc, go to the Trudos and/or northwest corner.

They also love kids. We went when wife expecting number one child and were fine.

Won't that be cold?

Maggy
16-10-2007, 15:08
What's wrong with Spain?Just find somewhere where the young,single and stupid don't go.;)

MovedGoalPosts
16-10-2007, 15:17
If you want to be sure of "warm" then you need to be looking at something closer to the Equator if you are staying Northern Hemisphere, which suits your 5 hour travelling criteria.

You might well need jabs if you are doing Cairo / Pyramids type stuff in Egypt. However if you just want sun and sand type stuff then the Red Sea resorts of Sharm el Sheik or it's surroundings don't need jabs or any other specific precautions. Been many a time now scuba diving. Temperatures should be great too, both air and water, although a jumper for the evenings can be a great idea.

Meditteranean can also be good, but not quite so warm, and runs the risk of wind chill if it gets a bit breezy.

DocDutch
16-10-2007, 15:22
Tenerife perhaps...it shouldnt be full of brits on the boozers .... dont know what you fancy really and yes warm and less then 5hrs flight is hard and the no jabs.

JMcB
16-10-2007, 15:53
Rockhill Caravan & Cabin Park, County Donegal, Ireland

http://www.rockhillpark.biz

Vlad_Dracul
17-10-2007, 11:23

I realise its just my opinion but i suspect that Cyprus is one of those places you either love or hate, a bit like Malta.

i have just had my first holiday in Cyrpus and i was not impressed. I stayed near Pafos but drove a total of about 900km all round the place. Pafos is not what i expected. Its over developed,has chavvy southern time share touts, real English pubs and cafes, the beaches are crap if you can find one and its difficult to find a decent meal. in addition,its pricey and poor value.

I have to say that Troodos is nice and this is becuase its a national park so they cannot ruin it.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was still hot.

Pafos airport was also a nightmare.

Check out tripadvisor..
I'd advise lanzarote,teguise or similar