PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Contract Help

Twiggy1983
15-10-2007, 19:41
I moved into a new house in May this year and phoned up Virgin to sort out getting my broadband. The guy i spoke to on the phone told me the price per month and what speed i would get (8mb, on a good day if i'm lucky!). I gave him my bank details for the direct debit and he told me the stuff would be sent out to me in 5 working days. He never mentioned anything about a minimum contract and i have signed nothing. what do you think my chances of an easy cancelation are?

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 19:45
How long ago since the instalation date?

Sirius
15-10-2007, 19:49
How long ago since the installation date?

To add to that have you registered the service and then used it.

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 19:50
To add to that have you registered the service and then used it.

Sorry - this is irrelevant.

Twiggy1983
15-10-2007, 19:52
They sent the modem out on the 2nd July 2007

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 19:55
So you didn't actually have an installation? In that case 7 days on from the date they sent it or you received it - I'm not sure - you should be able to cancel under the 1974 Consumer Credit Act by putting your request in writing.

There's also something related to 28 days in statutory rights but this is a bit of a grey area for me.

If you are using the service, there is a strong argument that you have 'accepted' any problems and thus waived a right to cancel, so act quickly!

Twiggy1983
15-10-2007, 19:59
i have used the service but my point is that until yesterday i had no idea that i was under a contract as no one from virgin media had told. Normally when you take out a contract over the phone, e.g for a mobile etc, the advisor has a long script they have to read out defining the terms of the contract which you agree to over the phone thus forming a verbal contract

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 20:02
Not all the time, we weren't told that our broadband and phone rental from VM would be a 12 month contract but maybe because it's pretty obvious that renting a phone line is a contractual event.

I only know of one supplier who doesn't hold to a 12 month contract.

Twiggy1983
15-10-2007, 20:07
my phone line is a 12 month contract but thats with bt

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 20:09
You can get pay as you go broadband but they tend to be quite expensive.

Sirius
16-10-2007, 19:31
Sorry - this is irrelevant.

My point was that if he or she has used the product then VM might take that as having agreed to the contract ?

MovedGoalPosts
16-10-2007, 19:43
There are two issues:

1) The minimum contract. VM would probably argue for ever and a day that they had told you the 12 month minimum contract condition. As that is spread over their websites, amongst other stuff it might be difficult for you to effectively plead ignorance. It would come down to who kicks up the biggest fuss. But to even consider trying using inadequate speeds as a "get out clause" under "breach of contract", you'd need to show a history of complaints to VM, that they have failed to address, given that in the T&Cs they don't guarantee a fault free service.

2) The broadband speed. Is the speed you get "fit for purpose", relative to the advertised / contracted service? Is what you get attributed to Virgin Media's network, or to something on your computer's configuration. Yes Cable isn't supposed to be upset by distance from exchange and stuff, but it is still contended. I don't think anyone has ever proven what is acceptable or not, in a legal sense.

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 18:09
My point was that if he or she has used the product then VM might take that as having agreed to the contract ?

1974 Consumer Credit Act

Under UK law if you buy something you have 7 days grace to return it - same applies to VM. We were told by VM's customer services that the 7 day grace is 7 days from the installation date but this is something I'm going to be looking into with my solicitor because our installation was postponed for a week!

gobbledigook
18-10-2007, 21:17
Hi guy's

would just like to add that by installing and using VM services you automatically agree to the terms and conditions of supply - minimum 12 month contract.

BUT VM also have a money back guarentee!! you are allowed to cancel at any time during the first 30 days.

hope this helps!!

dan;)

piggy
18-10-2007, 21:36
1974 Consumer Credit Act

Under UK law if you buy something you have 7 days grace to return it - same applies to VM. We were told by VM's customer services that the 7 day grace is 7 days from the installation date but this is something I'm going to be looking into with my solicitor because our installation was postponed for a week!

i find that very strange/sad that you would seek a solicitors advise about such a trivial matter (imo) and surely if the install was delayed then the 7 day period is also extented....however vm have gone beyond this and have extended the period to 30 days

ZebUK
18-10-2007, 21:40
I didn't "seek" legal advice over it - I merely asked about it as I am already in dealings with my solicitor regarding a change of name.

jo.v
18-10-2007, 21:41
VM have a 14 day cooling off period, in which you can cancel your services. When you register your cable modem, you accept the terms and conditions, of which state a 12 month contract. You need to write in to request a cancellation but you may be charged.

ZebUK
18-10-2007, 21:44
I find it amazing how people post in here regarding law believing they're correct. Someone is and most are wrong because we can't all be right.

I'm only saying what my solicitor advised. Where is everyone else getting their information from?

piggy
18-10-2007, 22:15
I find it amazing how people post in here regarding law believing they're correct. Someone is and most are wrong because we can't all be right.

I'm only saying what my solicitor advised. Where is everyone else getting their information from?

i dont think anybody is quoting law, ive just re-read some of your posts and you do seem to have a genuine gripe about the 20mb service ( along with a FEW others!!) my personal advise would be to downgrade to the 4mb service until the problems are ironed out, or if your really unhappy checkout if adsl2 is available in your area, virgin will get the 20mb sorted eventually but when is the million dollar question i do get frustrated that we appear to do are "beta" testing in the glare of the public spotlight but yet again we are a sales driven industry

ZebUK
18-10-2007, 22:32
As mentioned in another topic elsewhere we're so unhappy with VM's services that we're goign to cancel. We're paying a substantial amount of money for services we're clearly not receiving so we're leaving.

Just waiting for the services to be cancelled - the account holder themselves have to do it and they're being slow at doing at.