PDA

View Full Version : 20MB slow broadband Leeds and Cloning

mortakos
15-10-2007, 15:37
I unfortunately am some the unlucky ones that are paying for a 20MB line and can hardly get 5. I have been on the phone almost 5 times in the past week and finally i was able to get a technician from ENGLAND to actually deal with my situation. After doing extensive troubleshooting he could not find what was wrong with my services and because the call was getting too long he credited the amount on my account and he called me back so i would not get charged. So far so good. After performing all the diagnostics in the book (and after i already changed the modem) now he booked and engineer to come and install a new cable to my house propably using another cabinet.

What was interesting about the phone call (AND I AM HOPING I AM NOT BREAKING ANY FORUM RULES) was that the guy himself brought up the issue of cloning which he was aware of and told me the VM are trying to create a software that will make it impossible (or maybe more difficult). Whilst we were on the phone i found a ridiculous website where they are posting mac addresses and they are selling them online along with information on how to do everything i was so disgusted that i gave all the details of this website to the guy on the phone and without denying it he told that there was a problem with cloning in the past and they were not aware of anything in the present. As we were on the phone he accessed the website and as soon as he saw what was going on he informed his manager who in turn raised the issue with the fraud department. Hopefully they will actually look into this matter thoroughly and we will finally be able to enjoy the speeds we are paying for.

Once again i am hoping i am not breaking any rules. If i am then please delete the post.

NOTE: PLZ DO NOT CONTACT ME TO SUPPLY THE WEBSITE. I WILL NOT REPLY TO ANYONE REGARDING THIS MATTER.

Stutz
15-10-2007, 16:02
Good on yer Mortakos. Nice to see something being done to combat this problem :walk::walk:

Bonglet
15-10-2007, 16:07
Yeah its really great atm were on top tier service and some git is cloning our modems using our bandwith then quickly changing to the next mug on the list to kill his bandwith too all for free and vm's crippled network crippled more by people robbing us of our bandwith while we pay for them to have a better service for free while everyone else suffers, i know there are a few people using these in my area and something needs done now not put off for another year or 2.

It is theft no matter how you put it and vm obviously arent safeguarding there customers might be wise to also bring this up with watchdog or ofcom im sick of getting 512 to 1mb connection and paying for 20mb something has to give sooner or later and it will be everyone deserting vm for another provider if these trends along with abysmall stm contine

TraxData
15-10-2007, 17:26
VM currently have trials in place in grimsby, parts of nottingham and suffolk to stop cloners, which if you go to certain sites which i wont mention, a fair few of those cloners modems no longer work :)

VM themself are fully aware of the sites out there, but its near impossible to get them shut down.

Bonglet
15-10-2007, 17:32
we dont want sites shut down we want our service back to pre 20mb levels - i.e stable 10mb with no stm.
its a proven fact for every site that you did shut down another 1 would appear within days or weeks.
vm has been silent on this matter and the matter of slow web and download speeds for ages now we are getting sick and tired of the same excuses and no action, at least i am and judging by the speed and browsing posts on here since the rollout of the great 20mb downgrade a lot of other people are too.
going to bite the bullet and phone them up to report this weekends slowness it cant go on im really really sick of this now.

Sirius
15-10-2007, 17:51
vm has been silent on this matter and the matter of slow web and download speeds for ages now we are getting sick and tired of the same excuses and no action, at least i am and judging by the speed and browsing posts on here since the rollout of the great 20mb downgrade a lot of other people are too.
going to bite the bullet and phone them up to report this weekends slowness it cant go on im really really sick of this now.
VM need to get there heads out of the sand and do something about the clones and tell their long suffering PAYING customers that they are doing something about the thieving **** bags that are ruining it for everyone else.

unfortunately i think it will be a cold day in hell before they actually do something for all and not a select few trial area's.

ECW_Original
15-10-2007, 19:06
VM currently have trials in place in grimsby, parts of nottingham and suffolk to stop cloners, which if you go to certain sites which i wont mention, a fair few of those cloners modems no longer work :)

VM themself are fully aware of the sites out there, but its near impossible to get them shut down.

BUT surely its easy to get the site turned down, after all, there are loads of torrent sites that have been closed down, so I dont see why this should be different!

But hey, if only I had the power, I'd make sure this wouldnt happen!

Thank god VM are doing something about the cloning and hopefully this software will be run real soon then it will be BYE BYE THEIVING cloners hehe :):)

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 19:39
Getting sites shut down is a big nasty area.

If the site is rented from public space you can approach the owners. I've shut down a few sites hosted on Geocities that were hosting hacking material for an online game I moderated for about 3 years. Those were the easy ones.

If the web space is free with someone's ISP then you approach the ISP and request they remove the content.

If someone has rented web space from a company then you ask the company to remove the content.

If the content is on someone's private server this can be very tricky.

It also depends on the country the servers holding the content are located in, their laws and how much they care about what their customers host.