Power Level 10.8 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 40.5 dB

Upstream Status: Operational
Channel ID: 4
Upstream Frequency: 37500000 Hz
Modulation: QPSK
Bit Rate: 768000 bits/sec
Power Level: 41.0 dBmV

Are these levels within the proper operating ranges? I ask because I've got a severe connection problem - about 40KB/s download rates during the day and from about 1am to early hours of the morning I get about 5500Kb/s and the most I've ever had is about 9500Kb/s.

Something isn't right and if it isn't sorted soon I'll be cancelling everything and changing ISP.

Many thanks in advance.

Zoolook
15-10-2007, 08:10
If you are getting highish speeds from 1am onwards till the next day, then low at peak times, i would say you are being throttled.

As Virgin would say, its a abnormal usage.

So much for Unlimited Downloads. :(

chrisjones
15-10-2007, 08:10
If im right(?) your upstream power level looks a tad high. Have you tried calling for help?

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 08:30
Many times but no-one ever hears me :D

Would the high levels contribute to crap speeds, both up and down speeds?

Also, I've NEVER had full speed, not even after it was installed!

Jonathan90
15-10-2007, 12:38
power levels look fine they are about teh same as mine no problems here and about your speed if u have router try without it and try it at off peak times

Bonglet
15-10-2007, 13:15
its nothing to do with routers, firewalls, modems its virgins sad service sorry ive tried everything and every config always comes back the same i.e crap after midday ongoing for nearly a month and counting now my 2 hairs on my head will be gone by the end of the week all ive got left after pulling it out, its a ntaional problem and a national disgrace that there getting away with it tbh.

Shootist
15-10-2007, 14:57
Have to agree with bonglet. Over the past few weeks I've seen literaly thousands of posts from thousands of unhappy customers over various websites all complaining of frustratingly low speeds during peak times.

Peak times for me now seem to be from noon until midnight and pretty much all weekend, during these times it can take several minutes to load up web-pages (often erroring), gameing is impossible, and downloading is pointless (not that I ever bothered to download much other than the odd music track anyway).

We're getting ripped off here.

moaningmags
15-10-2007, 15:05
ZebUK, Can you go back into modem config page.
On the system tab, you're looking for:
Hardware Version 2.1
Software Version v2.0.2r1256-060303
Above is how it should read, if it says 1.0 or similar
call and have modem swapped out.

Mr.X
15-10-2007, 16:28
Your power levels are fine.
The maximum power ratings are 55dB max for upstream and +15 to -15 for downstream. The config shows you are running at 20 meg.Your SNR is OK too. If you using a USB connection try ethernet. Usb 1.1 has a maximum transfer rate of 12meg so you need to make sure your using USB 2.0 and as moaningmags says check the firmware version of your modem, you should be on v2.0. Poor power levels/SNR would lead to connection problems but in your case everything is as it should be. Go to gamefiles.virginmedia.com and download two or three test files then post your transfer rates.

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 19:23
Hi all, hardware is version 2.1.

Spoke to VM earlier today and they have said there is a outage fault on the line and work is already being done although a timescale of how long to rectify cannot be given.

When the installation was underway we had a blocked T and installation was postponed for a week. During the call a request was made to cancel as we were in our 7 day grace period and were told that it had already expired because it's 7 days from installation date. How this can be we really have no idea as we never had any services for those first 7 days. We were given a date which ends 28 days from the proposed installation date where we can cancel if we're still not happy - for now we're staying and see how it all goes.

Our connection is via RJ45 - prefer to keep the USB free for the cameras and other equipment.

A speed test earlier today resulted in a download speed of around 1700Kb/s (thats bits, not bytes)

Mr.X
15-10-2007, 19:29
At least you know what the problem is now. Did they say what the nature of the fault was.If it was High Tx/Dx loads you could be in for a long wait.

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 19:33
Unfortunately they didn't!