PDA

View Full Version : Slow broadband

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 13:40
We've just got a 20meg line with Virgin through their cable.

During the early hours of the night and part of the morning the speed is normal but about midday to very, very late the speed drops so slow many pages take almost forever to load.

This is NOT the service we're paying for and will refuse to sign the contract until this is sorted.

I called their technical line last night and was told they do actually have a fault on the line - which is why I'm here.

I'm wondering if any other broadband users with cable are getting speed drops during peak times.

We're worried that we'll get fobbed off with "it's a technical fault" until we've signed the contract and then it'll be too late. If this is a common problem and has really been a persistent problem then we'll terminate the services and move elsewhere.

Shootist
14-10-2007, 14:04
Work you way through this thread of hundreds of complaints from VM customers about slow BB speeds over the past few months:

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/blog/2007/02/09/virgin-media-reviews-please/

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 14:15
I love this reply from a Virgin Media employee calling herself "cutie"...
maybe you should look a bit closer to home and see that the problem is your pc but you just dont want to call our pc help line to get it resolved as we charge you 50p per min. why do we charge you? well its because you should know how to use a pc and as some of you dont even know how to switch it on we have to put people out there to answer your stupid questions so why shouldnt we charge you for it.

What a whining b*tch! I'm an IT engineer and have been for a large number of years. I built my PC and many others. I also repair them, clean Windows of junk when they get "well used" and perform upgrades, both hardware and software.

This person obviously has no clue wtf she is talking about. When I worked for Telewest the speeds were constant at all times of day. The whole reason we changed was because we moved back into a cable area and I was more than happy with past services.

Someone using "cutie" instead of their name just shows their level of intelligence - probably able to smile and act all innocent when they make a mess of things.

what?
14-10-2007, 14:30
there is people who get speed issues
as im sure there are with any isp
a lot of people do get a reliable connection.
the prob ur getting would normally suggest they have too many subscribers logged on to 1 ubr, which tbh, does not normally take 6months for them to resolve fully.
ask them when the prob was initially raised and decide from there.
if it was within the last month or 2 ul prob have issues on the service for a while or even ask what the issue is in the area and post on here if ur not sure about it.

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 14:55
After reading about the levels of internet service on this forum we're going to cancel everything.

We're paying £37 for a 20Mb line and phone line and we're certainly not getting it so will look elsewhere.

We got this line as we're both avid Battlefield 2 gamers and need to play the game and use Ventrilo/TeamSpeak and Xfire at the same time on both machines plus I run several websites and it was the upload speed that helped us choose the package. I need to be able to download and upload to servers via FTP. I don't expect to sit and wait for ages for this to happen.

I've just been looking at Eclipse. Their package for £29.99 with a 40GB usage limit sounds just fine with 8Mb connection sounds ideal. This is who we were with before and their level of customer service is excellent plus their call centre is here in Exeter literally just up the road from me.

jrhnewark
14-10-2007, 17:01
I got very bored of calling India a long time ago. I'm not an idiot, my job is to know at least something about how IP technology works. Unfortunately, they're trained to read through their scripts.

Bonglet
14-10-2007, 17:11
Really is rediculous now ongoing crap speed issues up and down the country which are spoiling every aspect of using the internet be it gaming,downloading or browsing vm's internal policy atm just seems to be about ****ing people off while milking there money.

every route you take with them ends up with its a oversubscribed ubr or its a known issue well for about 2 weeks of good service since upgrade (lol more like 200% downgrade 90% of the time) where are these fixes we were promised, i uncancelled when i had good service back and now its going downhill fast again, if its not fixed soon im 100% off to cancel come turn of the year out with the old/dated/rippoff slow vm and get adsl2 in, and hopefully get back to using the inet as it was supposed to be used (what a long time a year is :().

In the next year vm will probably introduce the next step of evolution 50mb and then it will cave in with the non existent ubr upgrades put in place and the 500mb traffic shaping :(.

Shootist
14-10-2007, 17:40
In the next year vm will probably introduce the next step of evolution 50mb and then it will cave in with the non existent ubr upgrades put in place and the 500mb traffic shaping :(.

Assuming VM as we know it are still operating then. VM put the company up for sale back in july but had to delay these plans due to debt problems. I'm not confident that VM will spend any money on infrastrucutre while it has these sort of problems but may well still to continue to oversubscribe as much as possible to make the company more attractive for sale.