PDA

View Full Version : Terayon/20Mb Concern

Zoolook
13-10-2007, 03:15
My modem is a Terayon TJ210, what i want to know is, does this modem work with the 20mb service?

I've had it running fine on the 4mb service, but now that im on 20mb service ( aparantly ), its worse than before, getting about 200 ish K a sec download from newsgroups and other sites.

Can somones confirm if this modem needs replacing.

Thx

---------- Post added at 03:15 ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 ----------

Nevermind, i just found that it only supports up to 512k a second.

Huwge
13-10-2007, 10:21
Yep, that needs replacing. I had the same when I upgraded to 20Meg. Had to go through the speedtest with the Indian Callcentre before they agreed it wouldnt support it even though the spec clearly states it can cope !!

Xtrm2Matt
13-10-2007, 12:58
Beware that the Indian Call Centre will run a "test" on your Terayon and say it's perfectly fine for 20MB (at least, they did for us).

We had to speak to a(n English) technician in the end, as the Call Centre guys are none-the-wiser what the Terayon can and can't support.

TONYHAMILTON
13-10-2007, 13:24
That modem wont even do 10MB so no matter what youre told make sure you ask for another modem!!!

Zoolook
15-10-2007, 02:38
Ok i phoned Broadband Tech support up, and they said to phone Customer Service up to to sort a new modem out, so i did.

I told the guy that i need a new modem , because the current one is too old to deal with a 20Mb line, he said , " Sir you need to ring Broadband Tech Support up " , i said " Thats funny because they just said that i need to ring you guys to sort a replacement modem out "

He then put me on hold to get some info, he came back and said " Sir we can send somone out to intsall the new modem for you, and there will be a charge of £25 "

I said " But this is not an intallation, its a Replacment, and i can fit the modem myself. "

He put me on hold again, came back and told me that it would be here with in a week ( 20th of October ).

So for people wanting a replacement modem, dont waste your money and time with Broadband Tech Suppot and dont fall for the £25 Intallation charge.

Im still getting the speeds of somthing like a 2Mb service on my current modem and i use to be on 4Mb, any know why that is, is it somthing do with how 20Mb works with old modems?

Zoolook
15-10-2007, 09:28
A small update.

To cut along story short, they had cut me back to a 2MB service for some reason, so they have given me 4MB Service, orded me yet another Modem which will be here tomorrow instead of next week.

Then all i need to do is give them the MAC address for the new modem and they will bump the service up to 20MB.

After all the messing about, all it took was 1 English guy to sort it.

Mick Fisher
16-10-2007, 00:47
A small update.

To cut along story short, they had cut me back to a 2MB service for some reason, so they have given me 4MB Service, orded me yet another Modem which will be here tomorrow instead of next week.

Then all i need to do is give them the MAC address for the new modem and they will bump the service up to 20MB.

After all the messing about, all it took was 1 English guy to sort it.
:rolleyes:

Zoolook
16-10-2007, 04:32
:rolleyes:

Its just for reference fisher. ;)

Mick Fisher
16-10-2007, 21:11
Its just for reference fisher. ;)
Maybe you misunderstood my comment? I was actually agreeing with you and sympathising with the effort you had to make in finding someone who understood and was able to help with your issue. The "roll-eyes" was directed toward VM, not you.

Oh! By the way I prefer to be addressed as Mick.

Zoolook
17-10-2007, 00:50
Check this out then, ive just downloaded some drivers from Nvidia's website(67meg) at 955k a second, i was like whats going on here, so i downloaded from Microsoft and a header from Virgin's newsgroup, same 900-955k ish a second.

Its doing this on my Terayon TJ210, because they aint sent my new modem yet, and all on a 4mb service utill i register my new modem, then they said they will bump it to 20mb to come inline with the new modem, which kind of made sense, since the Terayon TJ210 wasnt supose to go behond 4mb, so i was lead to believe.

From what i can see somone as bumped my account to 20mb service, and the Terayon TJ210 is going as fast as it can go, unless im missing somthing.

Every man and his dog must have played around with my account since the 11th of October.

One more thing, does anyone know for sure how fast the Terayon TJ210 can go, because my research on the net, only said it would do up to 512k a second, and i have had 955k tonight in 3 differnt places.

Mick Fisher
17-10-2007, 02:51
Check this out then, ive just downloaded some drivers from Nvidia's website(67meg) at 955k a second, i was like whats going on here, so i downloaded from Microsoft and a header from Virgin's newsgroup, same 900-955k ish a second.

Its doing this on my Terayon TJ210, because they aint sent my new modem yet, and all on a 4mb service utill i register my new modem, then they said they will bump it to 20mb to come inline with the new modem, which kind of made sense, since the Terayon TJ210 wasnt supose to go behond 4mb, so i was lead to believe.

From what i can see somone as bumped my account to 20mb service, and the Terayon TJ210 is going as fast as it can go, unless im missing somthing.

Every man and his dog must have played around with my account since the 11th of October.

One more thing, does anyone know for sure how fast the Terayon TJ210 can go, because my research on the net, only said it would do up to 512k a second, and i have had 955k tonight in 3 differnt places.
It's been quite a while now since my Tjet was swapped for a 250 but I think it used to get up to about 8meg. In those pre VM/20meg days my 10meg conn was rock solid. It is a bit worrying that you are getting such dreadful speeds, even with a Tjet. It leads me to wonder if they will in fact increase even with a 250/255 new modem. It was pretty much established that the Tjet did not like QAM256. I have always been on QAM64 so IF you are on QAM256 MAYBE a new modem might help. I guess we will only know when you are in receipt of your shiny new modem.
These days on 20meg I rarely see 10meg, in fact my conn is not even as good as it was when I was on 10meg with a Tjet. VM are extracting the pee from us IMO. :(

mmm
17-10-2007, 08:55
The TJ210 only has a 10Mbps half duplex Ethernet port, so up+down must be less than 10Mbps. My old one could speed test to 8Mbps down (with TCP/IP tweaks on PC) but never achieved more than 5 or 6 Mbps in useful downloads. In my experience it was much better with 4Mbps service than 10Mbps probably because smoother rate limiting not running flat out in bursts.

Dark Fiber
17-10-2007, 10:04
One more thing, does anyone know for sure how fast the Terayon TJ210 can go, ...

FWIW the Terayon spec. sheet gives a throughput that works out to exactly 6 Mbit/sec (using VM's crackpot definition of Mega as kilokibi :) )
This is consistent with statements about bench tests and field experience from xNTL insiders in another forum.
HTH

Zoolook
19-10-2007, 16:47
FWIW the Terayon spec. sheet gives a throughput that works out to exactly 6 Mbit/sec (using VM's crackpot definition of Mega as kilokibi :) )
This is consistent with statements about bench tests and field experience from xNTL insiders in another forum.
HTH

6mb is like 750k a second, i was getting 955k a second , thats inbetween 7 and 8mb, thats what i was getting on a 20mb service on a Terayon TJ210.

When my Virgin 255 came the next day , speed went upto the normal speed, about 1800k a second, if you can call that normal on a 20mb service.

Dark Fiber
19-10-2007, 20:38
6mb is like 750k a second, i was getting 955k a second , thats inbetween 7 and 8mb,
Whatever happened to the concept of "headroom"? I remember the day when all but the cheapest electronic equipment was capable of performing beyond its paper specification! That was the only way to _guarantee_ always meeting spec.

Nedkelly
19-10-2007, 20:41
If you look on the back of the tjet modem the ethernet port has 10 base t next to it .Can not belive that there are so many still out there :dozey:

Rakhal
19-10-2007, 22:07
The Terayon's DID have headroom... when they were new. I got mine when I signed up for the original 512Kbit service, and it had bags of headroom. Coped fine with upgrades to 1mbit, then to 1.5 mbit, then to 3 mbit, it was only when we went to 10mbit that it finally ran out of puff (and my one was getting a bit dodgy by then anyway), so it was replaced by a NTL 250.

--Rakhal

Elsie
20-10-2007, 13:12
I had the TJ210 but after the increase to 10mb the number of disconnects / problems went through the roof. I spent ages on the phone to India who said they'd "move me on the UBR" whatever that means. For a while the problem seemed to go but then came back. I made further complaints and in the end they agreed to send an engineer out.

The guy turned up, asked me one question "What service are you on?".
"10mb" I said.
He walked into the office, took one look at the TJ210 and said "You need a replacement".

With that he got a NTL:250 from the van and swapped the modems. I asked him if NTL / VM would admit to the fact that the TJ210 is not compatible with 10mb+ services but he wouldn't commit. But he did say if people complained about speed issues then they swap the modem straight away.

Since I've had the 250 installed I've gone to 20mb with hardly any issues at all. I guess that NTL / VM are willing to let customers TJ210 customers suffer until they complain.