PDA

View Full Version : 20 meg in northants

holmesy
11-10-2007, 18:19
Hiya all ,i live in northamptonshire and i am on the xl package 20 meg ,the speed i am getting is about 900kbs to 1.1 mb downloading and about 80 -100 kbs upload ,do these speeds reflect 10 meg or 20 meg its just that my download has not changed at all while my upload has gone up from 60kbs to the 90kbs,but i was getting these speeds before the upgrade came along,so i am confused,also a engineer came around to check my cables etc and said everyone in northamptonshire is not getting the 20 meg as the network cant handle it,so is anyone in northants getting the20 meg speeds ?????? also what is the download and upload speeds meant to be for the 20 meg deal ??? thanks in advance

Mick Fisher
12-10-2007, 18:07
From Rushden, Northants.
IMO, the speeds you mention are fairly typical for a single threaded download from anywhere outside VM's network probably due to the capacity deficiencies of their peering partners and/or peering arrangements. I cannot say if things in this respect are any better with any other supplier unfortunately.

During the daytime I find a multi threaded download from a known capable source will sometimes peak at 15mbps but will usually be up and down between 5 and 12mbps.
At peak time this usually drops to between 5 and 9.5mbps.
At 02.00am full speed can usually be expected.

To illustrate I will now conduct 2 tests from the same source, a US based News Group using NNTP.
At 17.51pm a single threaded download is varying between 0.9 and 1.5 mbps.
At 17.56 a multi threaded download (16 connections) of about 200meg is varying at between 4.9 and 6.7 mbps, whoops just seen 7.8 briefly.

Not much to write home about even for a 20meg (up to) connection. Should really say a 20meg (extremely rarely) connection.

All in all a pretty poor showing. :td: