PDA

View Full Version : Two Cable modems on one account

Tijer
11-10-2007, 18:45
A friend of mine says he had two cable modems on one account a year or so ago, when virgin were NTL, he moved away and subseqently had one of the modems de-activated, NTL never took the modem back. Now hes moved back, and phoned virgin to get the cablemodem (or a new one) put back onto his account, but virgin say that this isnt possible, he assures me that this is how it was before he moved away? Is there any reason why Virgin wont allow this anymore? I know the other way he can get a connection is by using a router, but he doesnt want to do this..

bonzoe
11-10-2007, 19:30
There's a lot of discussion about ways to stop cloners getting on the network, perhaps VM think this could be a cloned modem??

Then again, they only allow 1 BB connection per account as far as I know.

on in an hour!
11-10-2007, 19:32
A friend of mine says he had two cable modems on one account a year or so ago, when virgin were NTL, he moved away and subseqently had one of the modems de-activated, NTL never took the modem back. Now hes moved back, and phoned virgin to get the cablemodem (or a new one) put back onto his account, but virgin say that this isnt possible, he assures me that this is how it was before he moved away? Is there any reason why Virgin wont allow this anymore? I know the other way he can get a connection is by using a router, but he doesnt want to do this..
have got to say this would be a daft move on VM's part,2 modems equals 2 subscriptions,equals more money.the only thing that could realistically stop you having 2 modems would be if you were too far away from the cab (or had too much equipment already in the house) for the network signal to be able to maintain connectivity ;)

ambc_666
12-10-2007, 10:51
you can only have 1 modem (internet connection) per household. what happens though the older modem could have stayed active on the account (database error) until the system updates eventually then it would de-activate the old modem from the account.

Motorman
12-10-2007, 12:27
You can no longer have two aaccounts in the same household.
When it was ntl they used the SABS billing system, which allowed as many accounts as you like at the address.
Now they have migrated to ICOMS, which is like the old cablemaster, this only allows one active account per address.
The only way is if the house is split into flats like 1a, 1b etc.
But this can be a rave, as it really needs to be already showing like this with Royal mail, and the council tax etc...

Virgin Media will lose a lot of new customers because of this.

maybe it would be quicker and cheaper to go router option

Tijer
12-10-2007, 17:09
explain how then i have a telephone account in my own name, and theres the main account here in my parents name?

This account has been active since 1999, nothing has ever been said about it not being allowed (unless telephone is different), i only had it for internet, course ive been broadband since 2002, never did cancel it, just use it for a backup if the broadband packs up....

ambc_666
13-10-2007, 08:34
you can have two accounts at the same address, you can have multi telephone lines & tv boxes etc but you cant have multiple modems (broadband) at the same address

you get cases where they make a mistake and give you broadband? i dunno but you shouldnt have it.

ECW_Original
13-10-2007, 11:15
You can no longer have two aaccounts in the same household.

This is a load of PIFFLE!!!!
My best mate that only lives 5 minutes away has TWO (2) seperate Broaband accounts, 1 20Mb account for him (downstairs) and 1 20Mb account for his son (upstairs)

so I suggest you actually get your facts right before you post!

This IS NOT bull as I was round his last night doing some random stuff, and they are DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS!!!

Marge
13-10-2007, 12:05
This is a load of PIFFLE!!!!
My best mate that only lives 5 minutes away has TWO (2) seperate Broaband accounts, 1 20Mb account for him (downstairs) and 1 20Mb account for his son (upstairs)

so I suggest you actually get your facts right before you post!

This IS NOT bull as I was round his last night doing some random stuff, and they are DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS!!!

Not a load of PIFFLE at all, is spot on in fact but I think you may have misunderstood. New customers who are wanting two accounts at the same address cannot now do this but obviously this dosen't affect existing customers with two accounts as you've quoted.

The OP and Tijer have been migrated onto a new billing system called ICOMS which has this restriction in place. Damm stupid if you ask me and I did voice my opinion but then I was a little fish in a big pool.

gulf4uk
13-10-2007, 23:39
HI

My Son has separate Broadband upstairs but when wanted own Tv box in room on his broadband account this was not allowed he had to have a box on my account but if he wants a phone line no problem there they said on your
broadband account not your parents just phone us easy . So the rules are what ?

Tony

what?
14-10-2007, 15:33
yeah, as has been said, with the bb modems you can only have 1 in any house now

quite poss was different in the past but they wont give any new/existing cus a second cm... onyl way to get conn on 2 comps is router