PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speed testing

waylandzoo
11-10-2007, 15:10
I have 20 gig Virgin Media broadband and the speed tester via ComputerActive magazine checks the speed hourly automatically.
This gives 13 gig with small variations each way.
When I use Speedtest.net, the usual answer is about 21 gig, when I use ZDNet UK speedtester the answer is usually 6 to 8 gig.
How come these big differences and which one is right, does anyone know?

Richy99
11-10-2007, 15:14
never trust a speed test there are too many factors to take into account

r00t
11-10-2007, 15:24
Try this
http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/b5ifh/ifhsetup.exe
What speed do you get?

xpod
11-10-2007, 15:25
20gig????
Will i need a new modem for that???;)

Sorry,just joking.....but me thinks you mean 20Mb;)
The best way to test your speed is download some files from Virgin or MS etc.Somewhere with good bandwidth you will get a reasonably reliable result with.

Speedtest are about as much use as having a guess based on browsing speeds if you ask me.

waylandzoo
11-10-2007, 15:49
Try this
http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/b5ifh/ifhsetup.exe
What speed do you get?

As it downloaded the speed in the last column started at about 1600kB/s and finished at about 1300.

Mick Fisher
11-10-2007, 18:11
I have 20 gig Virgin Media broadband and the speed tester via ComputerActive magazine checks the speed hourly automatically.
This gives 13 gig with small variations each way.
When I use Speedtest.net, the usual answer is about 21 gig, when I use ZDNet UK speedtester the answer is usually 6 to 8 gig.
How come these big differences and which one is right, does anyone know?
I note that, when testing the speed via a test download from a capable source such as a news group, that it takes a quite a little while for the download to reach full speed. Now this could indicate that my newsreader is mis-reporting the speed or it could mean that quite a large amount of data must be throughput before a true reading is arrived at. I prefer the latter explanation and would hazard an opinion that the test sample size used on most speed test sites is insufficient to test a 20mbps connection accurately.
Lack of consistency could be attributed to the browsers cache entering the equation and further muddying the water.