PDA

View Full Version : Can This Kind Of Split Work?

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 13:44
Hello all and what a great forum you have here.

My question is this:

Is it possible to SPLIT the white cable coming in from my Virgin Media box on the wall as so I can utilise the broadband feed for my PS3?

I currently do have a broad band feed upstairs for my computer which is 20MB.
The problem is that my PS3 is wireless internet and I have a Belkin Wireless Router which is OK and works on the PS3, but doesn't seem to give me the required speed.

IE: If I connect my Virgin Modem direct to PS3 by taking my modem downstairs and using the WIRED ETHERNET option and then using the PS3 open the browser and do a BROADBAND SPEED TEST, I get around a 18-19MB connection.

Yet when I use the Belkin Wireless Router upstairs and connect to my PS3 using the WIRELESS option and open the web browser and do the SPEED test I get around a 5-7MB connection.

So my plan was:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/22.jpg

Split the feed coming in downstairs so the white cable goes 1. Into set-top box and 2. Into a second Virgin Modem then into PS3.

This should work shouldn't it? And does such a splitter exist?

Your thoughts please...

MXMaster

Mr_love_monkey
10-10-2007, 13:47
..and where would you get a second modem from?

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 13:49
£4.50 on e-bay with cable...

Mr_love_monkey
10-10-2007, 13:52
£4.50 on e-bay with cable...

That would be illegal...

Chris
10-10-2007, 13:56
That would be illegal...

... and wouldn't work anyway as the modem would not be registered to work at your address ...

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 14:00
That answers that question then...

Thanks...

Must be Belkin Router maybe slowing the whole PS3 experience down.

I've seen in a few threads the problems people are having with them...

SMHarman
10-10-2007, 14:02
What you want to do works, what it would mean is you need to move your virgin modem downstairs then instead of
virgin modem > PS3
virgin modem > wireless router > PS3 (through a wired connection on the router)
and connect whatever was upstairs to the router wirelessly.

---------- Post added at 09:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

That answers that question then...

Thanks...

Must be Belkin Router maybe slowing the whole PS3 experience down.

I've seen in a few threads the problems people are having with them...
Well tote that downstairs and test that in the mix.
If you are seeing 7Mb throughput on the modem it should be adequate for online gaming though. Gaming is more about latency than bandwidth.

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 14:04
...I see...

So if I move my LEGAL Virgin modem downstairs with my Belkin Router and feed the PS3 direct off modem and stick a wireless network card in PC upstairs instead I COULD split the white cable coming in from wall?

That make sense?

danielf
10-10-2007, 14:07
...I see...

So if I move my LEGAL Virgin modem downstairs with my Belkin Router and feed the PS3 direct off modem and stick a wireless network card in PC upstairs instead I COULD split the white cable coming in from wall?

That make sense?

Erm no. If you move the modem and router downstairs there would be no need to split the cable (which effectively is what your router does). Your PS3 would (hopefully) get full speed as it's wired, and hopefully your PC would get a full wireless connection.

Mr_love_monkey
10-10-2007, 14:10
Erm no. If you move the modem and router downstairs there would be no need to split the cable (which effectively is what your router does). Your PS3 would (hopefully) get full speed as it's wired, and hopefully your PC would get a full wireless connection.

I think he means the coax cable coming in from the wall, as by his diagram it goes to his STB and wants to split that so he can feed both modem and stb

danielf
10-10-2007, 14:12
I think he means the coax cable coming in from the wall, as by his diagram it goes to his STB and wants to split that so he can feed both modem and stb

Erm, hang on. What is the modem connected to now?

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 14:26
Thats right. I would have split the feed as the STB is only a few inches from my PS3 and both would need a feed.

So it could look like this?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/19.jpg

Yours...

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

So to simplify...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/20.jpg

Could this work? And is it LEGAL as I have used all equipment supplied by Virgin?

Yours...

danielf
10-10-2007, 14:31
You say you have a broadband feed upstairs which you connect your modem to. Where does this feed come from?

southwell
10-10-2007, 14:34
Mine used to be split on a splitter when i was with them. Although you may need to get an engineer in to adjust your signal levels. Im not sure how splitting affects everything.

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 14:34
The feed is split off the juction point downstairs and cable is run up side of house. So engineer told me. I can see the feed running to my upstairs bedroom on outside of house and it does originate from junction box in living room behind the PS3 / STB.

I din't want to go poking in the junction box though...

Yours

southwell
10-10-2007, 14:36
If it does that anyway i dont see connecting it downstairs will cause a problem. I moved mine from one room to another at my rents house and all is fine.

danielf
10-10-2007, 14:40
The feed is split off the juction point downstairs and cable is run up side of house. So engineer told me. I can see the feed running to my upstairs bedroom on outside of house and it does originate from junction box in living room behind the PS3 / STB.

I din't want to go poking in the junction box though...

Yours

So do you not have a BB feed in the box downstairs (inside) then? When you connect the modem downstairs, what does it feed off?

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 14:46
I do have broadband feed downstairs as Virgin send TV / Broadband down single white cable coming from wall.

I have disconnected white cable from back of STB and screwed it into my modem instead and I get broadband. The reason I want to split it is because I don't want to keep having to unscrew from STB all the time and then screw into my modem. I want to SPLICE the feed so I have TV / BB running to STB and TV / BB running to a modem.

So... Will a split / splice like this work?

southwell
10-10-2007, 14:48
Well yeh, but you need a splitter. The main line will go like your picture.

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 14:50
Is such a splitter available and what is the name of the cable Virgin use? (The white One)

Co-Axial???

southwell
10-10-2007, 14:53
Well to be honist it's probably easier to get an engineer to do this if you haven't got spare cable, you would need the cable, plugs and a clamping tool. He can get get the signal levels checked and such while he's there.

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 14:58
I have the cable... Left over from previous BB at old house. It even has the threaded parts on each end already.

My concern is getting the right splitter and knowing the frequencies...

Thanks for your help though guys...

Any other ideas welcome on this thread.

piggy
10-10-2007, 14:59
why dont you hard wire cat5 your ps3 into the router....but as said earlier in the thread 5mb for gaming is more than enough it sounds like you have latency issues going wireless, so if you dont want to go down the cat5 route move your modem and router downstairs so you can hardwire the ps3 and run your pc with wireless so that the poor ping/latency wont cause as much of a problem.

Chris
10-10-2007, 15:00
For splitting VM cable you need a quality product - I believe they use Qamtex.

http://www.technetix.co.uk/productlist.asp?id=24&sid=35

However you do need to bear in mind that you shouldn't attempt it yourself as you may breach your terms of service and you may affect not only your own signal quality, but that of other subscribers attached to the same street cab as you.

A VM tech will be able to check and balance signal levels if necessary.

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 15:05
Thanks for the info...

I was looking at THIS (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9273&&source=14&doy=10m10)

yours...

piggy
10-10-2007, 15:08
For splitting VM cable you need a quality product - I believe they use Qamtex.

http://www.technetix.co.uk/productlist.asp?id=24&sid=35

However you do need to bear in mind that you shouldn't attempt it yourself as you may breach your terms of service and you may affect not only your own signal quality, but that of other subscribers attached to the same street cab as you.

A VM tech will be able to check and balance signal levels if necessary.

i have the same on the van:D
as for not doing it yourself that might of been the case in the past but there are so many self install kits sent out nowadays i dont think it matters and quality of cable/splitters sent out is not exactly top notch

MXMaster
10-10-2007, 15:09
why dont you hard wire cat5 your ps3 into the router....but as said earlier in the thread 5mb for gaming is more than enough it sounds like you have latency issues going wireless, so if you dont want to go down the cat5 route move your modem and router downstairs so you can hardwire the ps3 and run your pc with wireless so that the poor ping/latency wont cause as much of a problem.

Thats what I want to do... But not at the sacrifice of not being able to watch TV aswell.

The white cable if not split will have to either go into:

A. Modem
or
B. STB

I can't have both at min without some sort of splitter.

piggy
10-10-2007, 15:16
Thats what I want to do... But not at the sacrifice of not being able to watch TV aswell.

The white cable if not split will have to either go into:

A. Modem
or
B. STB

I can't have both at min without some sort of splitter.

sorry ive just read your post again and yes your last picture imo is the best way fwd and the maplins splitter will work fine

XFS03
10-10-2007, 15:52
Thanks for the info...

I was looking at THIS (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9273&&source=14&doy=10m10)

yours...
Although that one should work, you don't need the DC pass for the LNB. This one should work just as well, and is half the price:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29530&&source=14&doy=10m10

SMHarman
10-10-2007, 17:49
Thats right. I would have split the feed as the STB is only a few inches from my PS3 and both would need a feed.

So it could look like this?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/19.jpg

Yours...

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

So to simplify...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/20.jpg

Could this work? And is it LEGAL as I have used all equipment supplied by Virgin?

Yours...YES