PDA

View Full Version : Odd issues with Vista

glyndav
09-10-2007, 22:04
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine has a problem and I was wondering if anyone can help.

He has got an NTL 250 cable modem that he connects via ethernet. He has two laptops, one on XP and one bought last week on vista.

The problem is, it works fine on XP, but can't connect to the internet at all on Vista. All it says is "Local Access" for the network that it creates. I can't see any settings that need changing and can't understand why it is not working.

Has anyone had any similar issues or know what this might be?!

Many thanks

maverick
09-10-2007, 22:41
Reboot the cable modem when swapping the ethernet between 2 pc,s.

ic2
10-10-2007, 09:26
All it says is "Local Access" for the network that it creates.

Right click on the icon, go into the network screen and click on the red cross and select repair connection.
Saying that, the blue globe sometimes disappears for me but I can still connect to the web, after a while it re-appears

nffc
10-10-2007, 13:26
He should get a router.

glyndav
10-10-2007, 15:26
He's got a netgear wireless router that he hasn't put on it yet, wanted to try to get the internet working straight through the modem first.

Repair connection hasn't worked, keeps coming back to "Local Access". I'll try switching the router off when swapping over the laptops.

Theres no other settings I need to check are there? I really don't know much about Vista, so didn't know whether the way it deals with networks is the same...

XFS03
10-10-2007, 15:31
As maverick says, without the router you have to power cycle the modem when switching the network cable between the pc's to allow it to recognise the new MAC address.

Once the router is set up, you can connect any pc's to it without problems.