PDA

View Full Version : Phone service install/charges question

TheVirgin
08-10-2007, 22:06
I am thinking of joining VM for the phone service (because BT wants £165 to install a master socket). Before I sign-up, can someone let me know the following:
1) Is there a connection fee for free (0800/0500) calls?
2) Where do they normally install the master socket?. Can I request any location?.
3) Is VM phone line generally realiable?. I have a monitored alarm system, therefore, I need a realiable phone line.

Thanks for any info.

Chris W
09-10-2007, 13:24
:welcome:

1) there is no connection fee for free calls
2) the master socket can be anywhere you like, but it is likely to come into your house at the front, so bear in mind that you'll have cabling running around to wherever you want it. VM will not install above 1st floor level because of health and safety implications though- if you require this then a seperate survey would need to be done, and installation would either be refused or may be charged for.
3) I had a VM (then ntl) line for two years and it never went down... no more or less reliable than a BT line in my experience. I seem to remember that some alarm systems require a BT line- so have a check if yours is one of these- I believe Redcare is one example.

hth

TheVirgin
09-10-2007, 14:34
Hi Chris W,

Thanks for the useful info. I've been told that my alarm system (ADT) works on any line. It is not Red Care.

smarty
10-10-2007, 13:18
I am thinking of joining VM for the phone service (because BT wants £165 to install a master socket). Before I sign-up, can someone let me know the following:
2) Where do they normally install the master socket?. Can I request any location?.
3) Is VM phone line generally realiable?. I have a monitored alarm system, therefore, I need a realiable phone line.

Thanks for any info.

Chris
10-10-2007, 13:27
Hi Chris W,

Thanks for the useful info. I've been told that my alarm system (ADT) works on any line. It is not Red Care.

I'd say go for it then, VM are unlikely to want to charge you anything like £165. However if you would really prefer a BT line, establish what VM would charge (if anything) then go back to BT and ask if they'd like to match the price. You never know, and you don't lose anything by asking.

smarty
10-10-2007, 13:31

Thanks for any info.

I have had VM 'phone since I changed from BT in December last year. In that time the 'phone has failed a number of times, usually for a few hours. If there is a local power cut, the VM telephones in that area go down unlike BT who have a central battery in the exchange, VM do not have central exchanges in the same way that BT do and are reliant on power being available to the green cabinets at the roadside for the sytem to work.

All the time that I had a BT 'phone (over 20 years) I cannot recall one outage. Also make very sure that caller ID is available on VM in your area (If you want it) as I was told it was when I arranged installtion but was then subsequently informed that it wasn't after the install and number port from BT had taken place. Caller ID is a basic feature of any modern telephone system but VM cannot provide it in some areas. BT have offered it since the 1980's!!

After my 12 month contract is up in December I will be returning to BT.

TheVirgin
10-10-2007, 17:20
I have had VM 'phone since I changed from BT in December last year. In that time the 'phone has failed a number of times, usually for a few hours. If there is a local power cut, the VM telephones in that area go down unlike BT who have a central battery in the exchange, VM do not have central exchanges in the same way that BT do and are reliant on power being available to the green cabinets at the roadside for the sytem to work.

All the time that I had a BT 'phone (over 20 years) I cannot recall one outage. Also make very sure that caller ID is available on VM in your area (If you want it) as I was told it was when I arranged installtion but was then subsequently informed that it wasn't after the install and number port from BT had taken place. Caller ID is a basic feature of any modern telephone system but VM cannot provide it in some areas. BT have offered it since the 1980's!!

After my 12 month contract is up in December I will be returning to BT.
Smarty,
Thanks for the info. My BT line has been quite realiable during the past 10 years (except for 3 weeks when there was no service due to damaged cable). I can't believe they want £165 to install a master socket (a new line costs only £120).
I did check about Caller ID and I was told it is available in my area (for £1.75 pm).