PDA

View Full Version : Changes to telephone charges

mcles
14-09-2007, 12:07
Customers from Monday will start to receive information via post to advise of the new charges.

Customers who are registered with e-billing will receive a 50p discount per month.

The connection fee is changing from 6p to 7p.

The price of Talk evenings & Weekends is changing from £3.95 to £3.45

The price of Talk Unlimited is changing from £9.95 to £7.95.

This change will be effective as of 1st November 2007.

Bear in mind that your bill may show partial charges at the higher rate and partial charges at the lower rate and is probably going to be confusing.

:angel:

MovedGoalPosts
14-09-2007, 12:57
Is this another round of changes. I thought costs went up around May / June / July of this year according to this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/59/33614978-vm-to-change-their-call-charges.html)?

Bob
14-09-2007, 13:06
Customers who are registered with e-billing will receive a 50p discount per month

Not shooting the messenger here, but I think that is a bit rich when half the network can't even have e-billing! And yes I know, it'll be coming soon...

I would anticipate that this wouldn't affect people on the VIP package because it's already heavily discounted :)

EDIT: Bob shut your mouth... http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/ebill.php?category=portal&app=ebill

Ebilling is available to many of our customers - and we're working hard to bring it to everyone else by early next year.

However, all our Virgin Phone customers can start saving straight away. Even if you can't get Ebilling just yet, you can pre-register and save 50p a month just for signing up in advance.

N00N00
15-09-2007, 04:30
So new charges in November but 50p discount starts right now?

good to see packages coming down to sensible prices. Would have thought they would have introduced some free international call plans by now though.

Also can't believe the connection charge is now even higher :shocked: - i'd hate to be someone who has to make lots or really short calls

Yoggy
16-09-2007, 14:41
Weekend" tarrif bands are now being removed.

It used to be
Daytime 07:00 - 17:59
Evening 18:00 - 06:59
Weekend Midnight Fri - Midnight Sun.

The banding will now be

Daytime 06:00 - 17:59
Evening 18:00 - 05:59

This applies to Saturday and Sunday too.

http://cablehell.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=122261

Pittcity
16-09-2007, 16:04
You can sign up for e billing and get the 50p a month discount even if it's not available in your area yet.

To avoid the excessive call charges why not sign up for First Telecom 'Cable Saver'. Simply plug the box they send you into your phone line and benefit from cheap calls (minimum charge per call is 1.2p) while still paying line rental to Virgin (mine is included in my 3 for £30 deal) and benefitting from e bill discount. My call bill is so small I don't even unplug the box at weekends to take advantage of my included Talk Weekends any more.

N00N00
17-09-2007, 22:04
Are they really removing weekend rates or is that a wind up?

also is the 50p off the phone bill or broadband - I get 2 differnent bills

mcles
18-09-2007, 09:58
Weekend rates for 0870 / 0845 calls are being removed - not for 01 / 02 calls.

Also: you will start to receive one bills as opposed to 2 separate ones, this will happen (apparently) before the end of the year.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Weekend" tarrif bands are now being removed.

It used to be
Daytime 07:00 - 17:59
Evening 18:00 - 06:59
Weekend Midnight Fri - Midnight Sun.

The banding will now be

http://cablehell.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=122261

It also states:

"The banding will now be

**The call banding only applies to calls to Non-geographic UK calls, ie 0870, mobiles etc. Those on basic line rental, phoning landlines at weekend will still have these calls free of charge."

xspeedyx
19-09-2007, 08:06
Weekend rates for 0870 / 0845 calls are being removed - not for 01 / 02 calls.

Also: you will start to receive one bills as opposed to 2 separate ones, this will happen (apparently) before the end of the year.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

It also states:

"The banding will now be

**The call banding only applies to calls to Non-geographic UK calls, ie 0870, mobiles etc. Those on basic line rental, phoning landlines at weekend will still have these calls free of charge."

proof please as the info I got says different

mcles
19-09-2007, 08:49
proof please as the info I got says different

Internal (confidential) email. I confirmed this with one of the women who've been at the centre of the change and she told me just 0870 / 0845 numbers.

It said that no info was to be given to customers AT ALL.

Not at work today anyway. Sorry.

AndyCambs
19-09-2007, 09:26
You can sign up for e billing and get the 50p a month discount even if it's not available in your area yet.

To avoid the excessive call charges why not sign up for First Telecom 'Cable Saver'. Simply plug the box they send you into your phone line and benefit from cheap calls (minimum charge per call is 1.2p) while still paying line rental to Virgin (mine is included in my 3 for £30 deal) and benefitting from e bill discount. My call bill is so small I don't even unplug the box at weekends to take advantage of my included Talk Weekends any more.

Thanks for the tip about signing up for the 50p discount. I wouldn't have noticed anything about it unless I'd seen it on here.

Shaun
23-09-2007, 14:42
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a76204/virgin-puts-up-call-connection-charge.html

Virgin phone customers who do not take one of the cable operator's calling plans currently have 6p added to the cost of every call they make. The fee is also paid by customers who take one of Virgin's calling plans, such as Talk Weekends, when they make calls outside the times covered by the plan. From November, the charge - which is levied in addition to the per-minute call cost - will go up to 7p.

Calls to numbers with codes beginning 01 and 02 will also be more expensive per-minute to call, with phone calls made outside calling plans going up from 3p per minute to 3.25p per minute.

Shocking prices.

Time for people to compare other providers - Virgin have always been over the odds but these connection fees and increases in mobile call costs are ridiculous!

This is a good cost cutting article but for a BT phone - some of the features will work on a VM phone line though.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls

There's a specific article but the jist is switch to BT!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/1145903126,50796

Alternatively, if you have cable BB take a look at www.vonage.co.uk www.sipgate.com or the like for better rates.

Ultimately the winner still comes out with 1899.com but that is for use on a BT line. Land line calls are 5p connection and 0p per min

If you've had a BT line in before then you can switch back for free by calling 0800 800 150. Then use 1899 and your calls costs will drop dramatically. :)

You can also use online billing for both BT and 1899 and benefit from the 50p saving that gives you. :)

N00N00
25-09-2007, 23:39
1899.com works fine on Virgin lines too, and still pretty good value. Pretty essential now if you're going to be calling mobiles.

Enuff
26-09-2007, 00:10
No phone for me, had it disconnected on the 13th of this month, only BB here now.

SilverLady
26-09-2007, 13:03
I got the phone changes letter this morning. It's very short on info, though it does refer you to the web site.

All it mentions are the discount for e-billing and the increases to the call charges. There is no mention of the reductions to the call plans and it even says "Don't worry though, these changes won't affect the amount you pay each month for your Virgin Media phone package." I don't understand this, does it mean that although the call plans are reduced this reduction is not made on your phone package?

mcles
27-09-2007, 10:23
I think it depends what package you're on and if you have a retention bundle.

djmagnifique
28-09-2007, 11:36
ok, so is this price decrease going to effect customers on the VIP package? will we see a drop in the monthly charge?

ian@huth
28-09-2007, 14:44
Got my letter this morning. Besides the increases in charges already mentioned in this thread the letter also says "Calls to numbers starting 01 and 02 will be charged at 3.25p per minute(right now they cost 3p per minute"

vimbectv
28-09-2007, 19:10
were does the £9.95 come from to start with, on the web site the cheapest phone package is £11.00. Are they now including the cost of the phone line in the package?
becky

Wild Oscar
29-09-2007, 18:51

I tried to subscribe to that First-Telecom Cable Saver deal you mentioned but got refused sadly! ... maybe because I'm not a home-owner? ... dunno ... anyway are there any alternatives to it?

Shaun
29-09-2007, 19:25
I tried to subscribe to that First-Telecom Cable Saver deal you mentioned but got refused sadly! ... maybe because I'm not a home-owner? ... dunno ... anyway are there any alternatives to it?

You don't need to be a home owner to get cheap calls.

Get yourself an account with 1899 and setup an Orchid dialer box.

Calls are cheap, but cheaper if you have a BT line. :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5914543#post5914543

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls

dancingjones
22-10-2007, 19:49
I thought Virgin evening started at 18.30. that's what they told me when I signed up for the free evening call tariff.