PDA

View Full Version : Which Cable to Use for extending V+ & Broadband - Coax???

themissingelf
08-10-2007, 09:12
Hi,

New here, therefore, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, however...

I currently have Virgin Media V+ television and broadband. The installation consists of a box on the wall where the cable comes through from outside and then a fly lead from the box to a splitter which then feeds the V+ box and the cable modem (which is behind the TV). The modem then feeds under the floor to the room next door via a network cable to a router.

I want to change the installation - primarily to to take the feed from the Virgin Media wall box under the floor and then up behind the skirting to a wall plate before looping under the floor again to another wall plate in another corner of the room. Essentially creating two locations where I can locate my TV/V+ box.

Whilst I've got the floor up, I would like to drop the splitter below the floor and extend the cable modem output so I can put the modem in the neighbouring room (i.e. move it from behind the TV).

I need to know whether this is viable and also which cable to use? It looks like coax, albeit not regular TV aerial coax but I'm not sure. The connections, I understand, are F-type?

Many thanks.

Tali
08-10-2007, 12:49
I've extended my cables for TV and BB modem without any problems using splitters (from Maplins) and co-ax cable from B&Q. The co-ax has a single central core, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Graham M
08-10-2007, 13:05
You aren't supposed to modify any cables the VM side of your equipment as it can cause ingress of noise with bad quality cable etc. standard aerial Coax should NOT be used for this purpose as it isn't a good enough quality, it is possible and so long as you use the correct types of cable, you shouldn't have any problems unless you are talking about extending over a very long distance (as the signal level supplied may not be high enough - in which case, you will need to pay VM for a call out to have an engineer extend the cable and adjust the signal level)

themissingelf
08-10-2007, 18:25
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of using this (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF100B.html) cable...

I'm not taking the extension very far - probably about 2-3 metres further than the existing install.

piggy
08-10-2007, 19:21
that cable is fine