PDA

View Full Version : Unsafe convictions?

iglu
07-10-2007, 06:33
Consider this case (http://management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39156076,00.htm). Do you know of any cases that NTL had to release the identity of a customer? There were a few but I cannot find them. It will be a good idea to let their solicitors know about the massive modem cloning problem.

If "X" switches his modem off, somebody else can plug in with a clone using X's mac address on the same node.

Mick Fisher
07-10-2007, 07:59
Consider this case (http://management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39156076,00.htm). Do you know of any cases that NTL had to release the identity of a customer? There were a few but I cannot find them. It will be a good idea to let their solicitors know about the massive modem cloning problem.

If "X" switches his modem off, somebody else can plug in with a clone using X's mac address on the same node.
But if VM coninue to deny that a cloning problem exists, and they probably will, who is the court going to believe, the defendent or the ISP.

This seems to be a worrying development.

iglu
07-10-2007, 08:41
But if VM coninue to deny that a cloning problem exists, and they probably will, who is the court going to believe, the defendent or the ISP.

This seems to be a worrying development.

The solicitors can hire an expert to demonstrate it. And such experts are cheap to get, for example, this Nottingham ad (phone number partially removed):

Reply to: Jim 07772 447 ???
Date: Wednesday 3rd October

Get your old Cable modem modded to get FREE internet and at the speed of TWENTY meg!.

Just supply your blue or black modem to be modded

It doesn't matter if the modem has been turned off, for whatever reason! You will still be able to get internet for free.

this is not an ebook, i will actually come and mod the modem for you, and show it you working.

Please make sure you either have a Blue modem(as shown in photo) or a Black virgin modem. Ring or TXT 07772 447 ???

Downtrodden
07-10-2007, 08:42
That's very worrying, and it could even be worse - what if the cloner downloaded paedophile material - would Virginmedia then lead the police to the innocent legal owner? Or terrorist documents - an innocent Virginmedia customer who had his modem cloned could find himself a victim of the anti-terrorist police.

Sirius
07-10-2007, 09:40
If i was accused of file sharing the first thing i would do is plead not guilty on the grounds that my cable modem had been cloned.

As has been pointed out on this forum for the last few months there is plenty of evidence that cloning is a major problem.

Hell even employers have been silenced on this forum over cloned modems.

It would be for Virgin to prove that my modem had not been cloned and i would expect them to have to produce ALL of the log-in information on the DHCP' Ubr and any other equipment involved at the mac level in my town for the dates that they claim. Should it show my mac had logged in at the same time as my modem then i would get away with it as there would be NO way they could prove which mac did the dirty deed.

Mr Angry
07-10-2007, 09:44
It is only a matter of time before this does eventually happen.

iglu
07-10-2007, 09:52
The was a libel (?) case few years back that NTL disclosed the names, a divorse (?) or something. An NTL employee testified in that case, does anybody remember?