PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Speed

stunt
06-10-2007, 19:41
Just wondering, with a lot of ppl saying they don't get the speeds they pay for, and I don't just mean on VM, and when you make a complaint you get told your connection is "up to 20mb", why cant they have a minimum that that connection should not fall below. Say if your on 20mb you may not always get 20mb, but it will never go below say 15mb. Just seems that the consumer is getting a raw deal off a lot of IP providers and should have something to in place to help them. :rolleyes:

Graham M
06-10-2007, 19:42
I don't think you'll find ANY residential connection with a minimum QoS, it would be impossible to guarantee anyway without spending hundreds of thousands on the network

stunt
06-10-2007, 19:47
it would be impossible to guarantee anyway without spending hundreds of thousands on the network

Thought Telewest/ VM already had?

slowcoach
06-10-2007, 19:50
It's a pity network's don't have the advertising budget instead of the pittance they get at present.

Mick Fisher
06-10-2007, 20:16
Just wondering, with a lot of ppl saying they don't get the speeds they pay for, and I don't just mean on VM, and when you make a complaint you get told your connection is "up to 20mb", why cant they have a minimum that that connection should not fall below. Say if your on 20mb you may not always get 20mb, but it will never go below say 15mb. Just seems that the consumer is getting a raw deal off a lot of IP providers and should have something to in place to help them. :rolleyes:
I couldn't agree more. It's all a prime example of "Rip Off UK". Admittedly though, even the extremely gummy regulator has been muttering about so called exorbitant claims made by ISP's and the Government has commented that we are falling behind, so expect reports sometime next year, if they can be bothered to get off their arses.
The problem is what can they do, levy huge fines? Well VM will just plead poverty and then pass it on the costs to the customer while the Regulator hops into bed with them.
Maybe if the pricing model evolved to a per megabyte deal? This would make those who leech Terabytes more circumspect at what they download as most of it can only be garbage. On the other hand maybe ISP's would lookafter networks and peering arrangements more as faults and bottlenecks that restricted people's throughput due to slow speeds/dropped connections would end up COSTING them money as well as inconveniencing the customer.

stunt
06-10-2007, 20:44
It's obvious that VM cannot provide everyone with the 20mb there paying for. What I'd like to see is the regulator stepping in and saying " Your infrastructure can provide your customers with 5mb, no problems. You are not allowed to go above that until you have new infrastructure in place to handle higher speeds". My speeds have not improved since I was on the 2mb service, and I'm now on 20mb:mad:

Mick Fisher
06-10-2007, 21:04
It's obvious that VM cannot provide everyone with the 20mb there paying for. What I'd like to see is the regulator stepping in and saying " Your infrastructure can provide your customers with 5mb, no problems. You are not allowed to go above that until you have new infrastructure in place to handle higher speeds". My speeds have not improved since I was on the 2mb service, and I'm now on 20mb:mad:
Seems like a good scheme although I won't hold my breath waiting for it to be implemented. :)
Did you forget to add the bit about "and price the connection accordingly."