PDA

View Full Version : [Merged]mac address changing problem

brownlad007
14-08-2007, 14:02
Hi all,

Been looking around on this forum for sometime (not just comming on because ive got a problem, just registered because ive got a problem :angel:_)

Anyway, ive got a belkin wireless router and a sb4200 modem from telewest or now virgin.

The problem is, if i change my mac address, it wont pick up a new IP address. I changed the mac address of my router, power cycle my pc modem and router but still the connection light on the router is blinking. its only when i clone the mac address and power cycle that the connection light on the router will stay solid.

So i thought ill have a go at changing the mac of the NIC while i had the modem connected directly to the pc. Still the same problem and i had to change the mac address back to get it to work.

Any Ideas ?

Cheers guys

Aragorn
14-08-2007, 14:31
According to Robin Walkers pages (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html), BY used to need the MAC address registered - that could be your problem.

With some cable ISPs, including Blueyonder, service will be provided only to known user MAC addresses, which have to be registered in advance with the ISP. This makes swapping to new PCs, or inserting a new NAT router, difficult or tedious. One workaround is to clone a previously registered MAC address into the new network interface card, or NAT router. For instance, most NAT routers provide configuration options for cloning the MAC address of the WAN port. When you swap devices that have MAC addresses cloned to be the same, then neither the cable modem nor the ISP's DHCP system will notice the change. The new device will need to issue a DHCP request.

amateurfool
14-08-2007, 14:34
First of all, why are you changing the mac address of your router? Or your nic for that matter, they are unique fixed addresses so that they don't cause a conflict with other network devices.

Reset the router to factory default so that it uses the mac address it was originally configured with.

Then...

Power off the pc, router, and modem.

Turn on the modem and wait 2 minutes.

Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes.

Turn on the pc.

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

According to Robin Walkers pages (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html), BY used to need the MAC address registered - that could be your problem.

Completely out of date, that has not been the case for 2+ years.

brownlad007
14-08-2007, 14:45
First of all, why are you changing the mac address of your router? Or your nic for that matter, they are unique fixed addresses so that they don't cause a conflict with other network devices.

Reset the router to factory default so that it uses the mac address it was originally configured with.

Then...

Power off the pc, router, and modem.

Turn on the modem and wait 2 minutes.

Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes.

Turn on the pc.

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Completely out of date, that has not been the case for 2+ years.

Cheers mate, ill give this a go in 5mins and report back

evilmonkey
14-08-2007, 16:20

you havent had to register addresses for over 3 years now. No longer on infranet. Problem is most likely just the modem not learning the new mac address. Make sure that the modem is on before you power on the router. you dont have to wait 2 minutes either the modem will forget the mac as soon as its off. Its part of its post to probe the ports for connection. You also need to ensure that you arent picking a wan mac address thats already in use by someone in your region to. No way for you to check this just make sure you try a couple of different addresses should the first one not work.

brownlad007
14-08-2007, 16:31
Hey

i tried what amateurfool suggested but i still get the same problem.

@evil monkey, thanks for that, yh i think its a problem with the new mac not being picked up too. ive tried having the modem on for 5mins before putting the router on and ive still got the same problem

Any other suggestions?

Much appreciated

amateurfool
14-08-2007, 16:50
What model Belkin router is it?

Nedkelly
14-08-2007, 16:51
I take it the modem works when only connected to the pc :)

brownlad007
14-08-2007, 16:55
belkin router is f5d7231-4 . The modem works fine if connected directly to the ethernet card or when connected to the router with the mac cloned. it wont work if i connect it to another ethernet card or with the routers original mac.

Toto
14-08-2007, 17:00
The issue is that its not your modem that needs to learn the new MAC address, its the uBR/DHCP server. Possible cause is that you have changed the MAC address that is already in use, although extremely unlikely.

I assume that the router only accepts Hexidecimal, and that you haven't used "o's" instead of "0's"?

There shouldn't be any reason why you can't get a new IP address is you have a valid client MAC address.

amateurfool
14-08-2007, 17:01
belkin router is f5d7231-4 . The modem works fine if connected directly to the ethernet card or when connected to the router with the mac cloned. it wont work if i connect it to another ethernet card or with the routers original mac.

By a bizzare coincidence, i installed an identical router for a friend a few weeks ago, it worked out of the box without any fiddling.

You've flummoxed me on this one.

brownlad007
14-08-2007, 17:11
hmm. do you think it could be a problem with the modem itself? ive tried a load of mac's so i cant see that as a problem and ive never used "o" lol.

flowrebmit
14-08-2007, 17:15
Is it possible for all the IP addresses to be used up in an area?

If all the IP addresses are associated with MAC addresses, and aren't immediately released back to the pool of free ones, if you connect a different ethernet card, you are not going to get an IP address because there aren't any left...

brownlad007
14-08-2007, 17:48
i wouldhave thought there would be more than enough :s , but ive been trying for around 4 or 5 days now also

Toto
14-08-2007, 18:01
i wouldhave thought there would be more than enough :s , but ive been trying for around 4 or 5 days now also

Enough for normal use yes, but if a router continually rejects an allocated IP address, those addresses ar allocated to that router/MAC, but I doubt that is the case.

brownlad007
14-08-2007, 18:28
hmm, any other ideas?

brownlad007
06-10-2007, 15:08
OK guys i had a thread a month or so back with this situation:

I changed my mac addres and the internet would not work. Changed Mac again and still no luck. Plugged my laptop into the ethernet and still not working. Put my usb in and that wouldnt work ! so basically tried everything to change the ip address but nothing worked.

When i use the original MAC address, it works, perfect. Just plug it in, wait 15secs and the nets running.

My cousins also been having the same problem. He lives down the round so i checked it out and it was the EXACT same problem i was having.

So today i called the virgin and they said there may be a problem with the mac addresses and that they would try to sort it out within the next day to allow the MAC address onto their system.

Is that possible? ive never herd that one before.

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers;)

MovedGoalPosts
06-10-2007, 15:17
Threads merged to save covering old ground.

To clarifiy on previous posts - the mac address of the connected device only had to be registered where broadband connection was via a Set Top Box. It's not necessary for the modem.

Why are you trying to change the mac address of your connected device. You should ideally use the one issued to it at point of manufacture to ensure there are no conflicts.

brownlad007
06-10-2007, 17:03
Threads merged to save covering old ground.

To clarifiy on previous posts - the mac address of the connected device only had to be registered where broadband connection was via a Set Top Box. It's not necessary for the modem.

Why are you trying to change the mac address of your connected device. You should ideally use the one issued to it at point of manufacture to ensure there are no conflicts.

ive got some belkin wireless adapters and i was using the mac address of those to test and be sure of no conflict, still no luck.

Also i cannot figure out a explanation to why no device connected to the broadband connection will not work except this NIC connected in my laptop. To clarify i also tested using my friends laptop and it will not work either