PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Extras

Herriot2
05-10-2007, 22:21
Sorry folks I just noticed that this thread may be best suited to another one which contains similar issues to my problem below. So obviously this makes this post an Off Topic one and for that I apologise..If I could figure out how to move this I would

Hi Guys.

Virgin offers something called Broadband Extras (BE) if their BB customers are ons on L or XL price plans (BE give access to various ...erm...extras like games and music amongst others).

At the login screen it says "Sign in to ntlworld email and Broadband Extras"

I log in using my username in the normal fashion (tried every combination of username I can think of). Sometimes I get to the BE page & sometimes it takes me to the proper page. either way I am logged in cos it says so.

Once I get to the BE page I then click on the link Premium Games powered by Oberon media (OM) I am transferred to a page that displays the message Fatal Error and a button which says CLOSE which, when pressed, does indeed close the browser window.

There is nothing more on the screen except that button. I have attached a small example screen

And here is a link that is displayed in the browsers address bar: http://vm-auth.virginmedia.com/error_page.htm?channel=110288903&source=1&cmd=1

It looks a lot like VM is trying to Authenticate me but is having problems (but I may be wrong).

I have contacted VM as well as OM. But it's kinda like let's see who can pass the buck the quickest (Blueyonder now VM are usually the best at this and they haven't let me down

OM told me that It's VM's fault and I should contact them. I duly did this (more than four weeks ago) and got a reply last week essentially saying it was my fault and I should phone the premium rate number to get it sorted out. :mad:

Well, it'll be a cold day in Hell before I'll do that because A) It isn't my browsers fault (unless of course there is an issue with IE7 and Firefox - which there isnt) and B) it would be cheaper to actually buy the games than spend a £1 a minute on a premium rate number.
:nono::upyours:

If anyone else has had this problem please let me know if there is a fix (for info - just incase it affects thinsg but it shouldn't cos someone else I know has a similar set up and he has no probs re BE - I have a wireless router serving up to two wireless and two wired PCs as well as a few Games consoles) please let me know.

Regards and thanks in advance, Herriot2

fatassmichael
05-10-2007, 23:04
:welcome: to the forum Herriot2, when you are at the sign-in page, are you entering your blueyonder email address and bluyonder password? Also try temporarily disabling your firewall/antivirus and try to log-in again.

Herriot2
07-10-2007, 00:11
:welcome: to the forum Herriot2, when you are at the sign-in page, are you entering your blueyonder email address and bluyonder password? Also try temporarily disabling your firewall/antivirus and try to log-in again.

Thanks for the welcome and your input. I have tried your suggestions but to no avail :bigcry:

I got another two emails from YM support today replying to my mail telling them that I wouldn't be paying a premium rate call for something I should be getting free

They said it was the PC that was at fault because the "...Fatal Error is generated from the PC in relation to a missing dll file or registry fault" and they advise I "...try a system restore or a reinstallation of windows:banghead:

Anyway I got another email a few mins after that one and it said that because I had clarified what the problem was and that the fatal error wasnt a windows fatal error my problem is "now a totally different type of issue" :doh:

That is despite me telling them that it was to do with a webpage especially when it all started back in 30/07/2007 :mad:

Ok I will now do as they ask and not let my BP get too much higher. :disturbd:

I'll let you know if I get a resolution.

Herriot

Mick Fisher
07-10-2007, 08:18
Hmmm, I got the same problems when I tried it after it went as a freebie. I'm no great fan of todays music so didn't pursue the matter.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the matter but I could never use this forums speed test, got a message about java script being enabled (which it is), but just nothing appears?? Again as speed tests are inherently useless I never pursued the matter, until today, when I wanted to include speed test results in a post to illustrate how unreliable they are. I use Slimbrowser usually but just on the offchance of it working gave IE7 a shot at the task. A window opened in IE7 asking me if I wanted to switch off the pop-up stopper? I agreed and low and behold the speed test worked. Slimbrowser has a popup stopper too and I had tried the speed test with it switched off to no avail.

So maybe trying different browsers to your usual will get the site to work for you.