PDA

View Full Version : best router

antwire
05-10-2007, 09:23
Hey guys im using vista and im on the 20meg conenction ive currently got a bog standard belkin router and my speeds are awfull i mean leass than 1 meg ive spoke to virgin who say its the router even though a wired connection from their modem is just as bad

can anyone help? the speeds were fine until i got vista

smeagoly1
05-10-2007, 10:03
Try using the "20 meg Tweak" section on the VM Broadband help site.
I was getting the same, when I tweaked the settings and my ethernet card settings. Got a constant 5meg at the moment, but that's due to my Belkin wired router. I also need a 20 meg rated wired router.

I got the full 20meg when the cables connected direct to the PC. But i have to share the connection between mine and a childrens pc, so like you on the lookout for a good wired router.

The tweak will help till you get a 20meg rated router. Well 5megs better than nowt :)

Look at yoru network card settings also, see that it's set to 100 not 10 as mine was at first, this should be in the VM 20meg tweak section.

antwire
05-10-2007, 10:18
i looked at that but it says dont do it if your using vista do you have a link to a different one that may help?

smeagoly1
05-10-2007, 11:30
The link I used is just for optimising the ethernet connection side of things, the downloadable tool isn't needed I think for Vista, only XP users. In a nutshell my old settings where set to 10 and not 100 full duplex.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php#windows-vista-users

I think that may be the page you may have already looked on, apart from that I can't help re-vista as I am using xp pro and Linux on the other system.

But like yourself I would love to know about a wired router that will handle the XL package. As the routing is already in place and I don't trust wireless in my estate hahaha.