PDA

View Full Version : New 40GB PS3, plus a price-cut for the 60GB version

Tezcatlipoca
04-10-2007, 19:43
Finally!

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/10243/11267/sony-ps3-price-cut-official.phtml

4 October 2007 10:16 GMT - Sony will announce tomorrow that has bowed to consumer pressure by not only reducing the price of its 60GB console, but also creating a 40GB version priced at £299 to go up against the Xbox 360 Elite.

Confirmed by multiple sources in the games industry in the UK, Pocket-lint has learnt that Sony Europe will officially drop the price of the games console in the UK by £56 to £369 in an attempt to boost sales ahead of the Christmas rush.

(snip)

Halcyon
04-10-2007, 19:54
It was about time a price cut came.
I've always thought Sony are terrible with their prices.

icestar2
04-10-2007, 21:57
Good to hear. I only hope it makes good sale's now because the PS3 is such a great console thats has sadly been overshadowed by its price for to long.

Downloads
05-10-2007, 18:57
Just for people's information. I've lodged a complaint with Sony on

General Enquiries: 08705 99 88 77

That as a loyal customer i've been done out of a lot of money for only 6 months. I won't go into the whole call but basically the more people that moan, the more likely they will give vouchers or something guess. The cal centre and the managers there were very sympathetic and said they would be pushing for somehting for loyal customers who bought early.

When Microsoft did this they actually gave out £50 of vouchers to early adopters, so i'm hoping Sony will do the same.

dragon
05-10-2007, 20:09
So does the 40gb one still have all the HD capablities.etc that the 60gb one does?

If so might get a 40gb one one sometime since the HDD can be changed yourself and a couple usb ports and a cardreader is nothing to get upset over losing.

icestar2
05-10-2007, 20:46
So does the 40gb one still have all the HD capablities.etc that the 60gb one does?

Yes the only things lost are 2 USB Ports the card readers and PS2 backwards compatibility.

dragon
05-10-2007, 21:14
Yes the only things lost are 2 USB Ports the card readers and PS2 backwards compatibility.

But is that actually lost since the Uk ps3 never had the emulation chip but rather relied on software emulation anyway...

icestar2
05-10-2007, 22:09
But is that actually lost since the Uk ps3 never had the emulation chip but rather relied on software emulation anyway...

Since the offer is for Europe only for now then I would guess yes. They said the money saved would be put into game development and bringing playstation costs down. I agree its strange but maybe they have left out something else that also makes the emulation not possible.

EDIT**

After having looked into the Backward comp a bit more its seem my thoughts were right. From what I have read they have removed another chip called the GS or somthing along these lines. The software emulation only emulated the EE chip (Emotion Engine) but some hardware was still needed. Seems now these other supporting chips have been removed. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me but this is what I have been able to find out up2 now.

cnewton2k
06-10-2007, 02:05
I think this could finally swing the balance of power so to speak!!

£299 for a PS3 that includes a HD Drive, And Wireless
or
£299 for a 360 Elite with No Wireless and No HD Drive

So it would cost you £163.99 to bring them to arround the same standard.

Yes the 360 has a bigger HDD but you could get a cheap HDD from Ebuyer for the PS3.

icestar2
06-10-2007, 02:13
Or any1 who wants one even cheaper then shopto.net are selling them for only £279.99
http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=dettagli&codart=PS3CO04

They also have the 360 premium in for only £194.99
http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=dettagli&codart=XB23600

daggman
06-10-2007, 02:52
TIS great news

I already have a PS3 , but welcome the new prices, the PS3 is a great machine and will surely find its way into more homes.

love motrstorm and F1 and loking forward to GT5, the wireless is brill and connected to my network i can stream films,pictures and music from my pc. Add bluray and u have one hell of a great games machine/multimedia hub.

daggman

Damien
06-10-2007, 09:47

or

Yes the 360 has a bigger HDD but you could get a cheap HDD from Ebuyer for the PS3.

Yes, But this has been noted before. Given the sales of independent HD players, including the 360 HD Drive, people do not really care about High Definition players. They are not ready to upgrade their dvd collection nor do a vast majority own HD TV's.

For a Next-Gen gaming console the 360 is still cheaper, more popular, and has more games. Do not underestimate the power of people getting the more popular console....

dragon
06-10-2007, 11:12
I did hear rumors of deals on the 60gb making it only about £50 more with a couple games thrown in, not sure if this is going to happen.

icestar2
06-10-2007, 11:19
I did hear rumors of deals on the 60gb making it only about £50 more with a couple games thrown in, not sure if this is going to happen.

that is true - They are dropping the Starter pack price but only while stocks last it was said.

Niles Crane
06-10-2007, 13:59

or

When are Sony fanboys finally going to understand; most people are interested in games consoles, not home entertainment systems and the general public does not give a rats **** about HD DVD or Blu-ray and won't do for many years. All the technical crap about wireless, HDD size etc does not matter to most consumers, the 360's online service and vast and great selection of games outways the technical jargon, as does the Wii's unique friend and family friendly aspect.
I personally know 7 people who own a 360, 3 or 4 who own a Wii and 2 who own a PS3 (one of which also owns a 360 too). If i was wanting to buy a new console, would i buy the one my friends have, talk about and play online together on, or a different one because of a few tech specs?
Do you really think when most people are deciding which console to buy this Christmas, they'll be thinking about it the way you have above?

daggman
06-10-2007, 14:30
Do not underestimate the power of brand loyalty, there are over 120 million playstation 2 owners out there, who have probably had years of problem free gaming, and now the ps3 is cheaper they may start thinking about upgrading.

the shopto price is great already at 279 pounds delivered, sure there will be even better deals the closeer we get to christmas.

icestar2
06-10-2007, 14:38
Please dont turn this like all the other PS3 threads. Just leave it be we dont need another PSvsXbox thread.

dragon
06-10-2007, 16:09
When are Sony fanboys finally going to understand; most people are interested in games consoles, not home entertainment systems and the general public does not give a rats **** about HD DVD or Blu-ray and won't do for many years. All the technical crap about wireless, HDD size etc does not matter to most consumers, the 360's online service and vast and great selection of games outways the technical jargon, as does the Wii's unique friend and family friendly aspect.
I personally know 7 people who own a 360, 3 or 4 who own a Wii and 2 who own a PS3 (one of which also owns a 360 too). If i was wanting to buy a new console, would i buy the one my friends have, talk about and play online together on, or a different one because of a few tech specs?
Do you really think when most people are deciding which console to buy this Christmas, they'll be thinking about it the way you have above?

Sony of all people should know its not about the tech specs, heck the N64 had more processing power than the Playstation and the xbox had more processing power than the ps2 however which was the more successful console?

With regards to the 360 although not very reliable from a techinal standpoint it does have some very good games on it, and although you have to pay to use live i find it a fairly good system and worth the money. Its nice to be able to put ANY multiplayer game in and instantly find your friends without hassle and without trying to work out what their name is on each separate game.

The Ps3 does have things going for it to, its a more open platform (i.e you can shove linux on it and use it to surf the web.etc) but what it lacks at the moment is games.

However if an MGS, and a Decent final fantasy game comes out on it then I think that will help sales immesnsily , also I'm hoping the rumors of a remake of final fantasy 7 are true.

cnewton2k
06-10-2007, 17:08

I aint no fan boy, i have both console and love them both just pointing out the FACTS...

Tezcatlipoca
06-10-2007, 18:43
Once stocks of the 60GB PS3 have been exhausted, the *only* PS3 available in Europe will be the new cheaper 40GB model.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/news/articles/detail/item80772/Entertainment-like-you%E2%80%99ve-never-seen-before/

Good, & bad, I think.

The price is *very* attractive.

But I feel the removal of the backwards compatability may be a mistake.

What about all the PS2 owners who have not yet moved up to a PS3?

Couple of quick questions for current PS3 owners:

As the 40GB model has no card reader slots, can the PS3 use a memory card reader plugged into one of the USB ports?

How easy is it to fit a new HDD?

Do not underestimate the power of brand loyalty, there are over 120 million playstation 2 owners out there, who have probably had years of problem free gaming, and now the ps3 is cheaper they may start thinking about upgrading.

Although they may hit a slight snag: the lack of backwards compatability on the 40GB PS3.

Please dont turn this like all the other PS3 threads. Just leave it be we dont need another PSvsXbox thread.

What he said ^

daggman
06-10-2007, 19:56
Couple of quick questions for current PS3 owners:

As the 40GB model has no card reader slots, can the PS3 use a memory card reader plugged into one of the USB ports?

How easy is it to fit a new HDD?

Yes it can read memory cards via usb, i have just tried it, i plugged my usb keyboard in which has card readers built in,and the ps3 read photos off it no prblems.

The hard disk swap is very easy, just buy any 2.5 sata drive, the manual even has instructions on how to do it, and does NOT invalidate your warranty. there are guides on the internet as well.

Although they may hit a slight snag: the lack of backwards compatability on the 40GB PS3.

I mean the overall pleasure and problem free, reliable console gaming they have experianced for the last x number of years, I expect most people will trade in there old machines and software to upgrade.

Tezcatlipoca
06-10-2007, 22:20
Yes it can read memory cards via usb, i have just tried it, i plugged my usb keyboard in which has card readers built in,and the ps3 read photos off it no prblems.

The hard disk swap is very easy, just buy any 2.5 sata drive, the manual even has instructions on how to do it, and does NOT invalidate your warranty. there are guides on the internet as well.

Good to know. Cheers :tu:

I mean the overall pleasure and problem free, reliable console gaming they have experianced for the last x number of years, I expect most people will trade in there old machines and software to upgrade.

In that case, yeah, I guess so.

Still surely be many who would have PS2 games they'd like to carry on playing though, without having to keep their PS2s.

daggman
07-10-2007, 12:00
Still surely be many who would have PS2 games they'd like to carry on playing though, without having to keep their PS2s.

yep , I actually think and would recommend the 60gb package to anyone , for 50 pound more , with 2 games and ps2 bc, i think it is the better deal

i think sony may even bring out the 80gb model out over here when the 60gb as sold out , and price that at 349. the 80gb model has ps2 BC.

dragon
07-10-2007, 12:49
yep , I actually think and would recommend the 60gb package to anyone , for 50 pound more , with 2 games and ps2 bc, i think it is the better deal

i think sony may even bring out the 80gb model out over here when the 60gb as sold out , and price that at 349. the 80gb model has ps2 BC.

Actually I think the 40gb is going to be the only one available in europe

See the link Matt D posted a couple posts back.

TheBlueRaja
07-10-2007, 13:03
What i don't understand about this is that the European PS3's were software only emulation for backwards compatibility.

Sooo, if it was software only and did not require hardware, why has it been dropped for this version?

dragon
07-10-2007, 13:12
What i don't understand about this is that the European PS3's were software only emulation for backwards compatibility.

Sooo, if it was software only and did not require hardware, why has it been dropped for this version?

someone summarised that there were a couple of chips needed for the emulation while one of them was replaced by software in the europe ps3 the others were still present.

icestar2
07-10-2007, 15:59

From what I was able to find out the Software was only emulating the EE chip (Emotion Engine) however there were still other supporting chips needed. These supporting chips have now also been removed from the 40gb Model.

Damien
09-10-2007, 11:53
I am puzzled, the default UK one will have 40gb and no software emulation? Dispite the poor support it was a good feature due to the lack of PS3 games. This is a weird move by sony.

daggman
09-10-2007, 16:03
sony are saying now there will only be the 40 gig model in europe, but lets wait and see what happens when the 60gb has sold out. I bet they will intro the 80gb model with BC or the other new model that is rumoured to becoming out in japan and usa.

icestar2
09-10-2007, 16:50
Japan is getting the 40GB model in november and it will be in white and come with the new dual shock 3 controller and price drop. Guess its to be expected they get a better deal since its their home turf.

Tezcatlipoca
10-10-2007, 02:13
There's rumoured to be a 160GB model coming soon for Japan & I think the US.

160GB would make sense...puts it that bit higher than the Elite, plus gives you lots of storage space for the upcoming PVR thing.

dragon
10-10-2007, 12:21

160GB would make sense...puts it that bit higher than the Elite, plus gives you lots of storage space for the upcoming PVR thing.

Could have a 250gb model if you wanted after all least sony let you use a bog standard off the shelf 2.5" sata drive ;)

Unlike microsoft who inist on using their overpriced drive (which is actually a 2.5" sata in there anyway :mad:)

One of the biggest annoyances with the 360 is knowing its a standard drive but because of Microsoft thinking of of their profit margins above anything else you cannot simply replace it with an off the shelf drive.

icestar2
10-10-2007, 14:25

Hmmm might be a way of I think with the 40GB launching in japan next month. Also as far as the PVR goes it will only launch in Europe and then expand to other PAL areas. So probably japan later on. There is no mention as of yet if the US will even get this feature.