PDA

View Full Version : Oversubscribed area killing my internet gaming

Retrovertigo
04-10-2007, 17:47
Slightly different from a post some others have contributed to. And this is merely a rant and no doubt nothing can be done short of switching suppliers.

Over the summer months while the students were away, my Xbox Live connection was fantastic. This is once VM admitted not all NTL200 modems could cope with the 20meg speed of course!

But VM did the usual thing in my area (Manchester - Fallowfield, I believe the biggest student campus in Europe) and blitzed the area with flyers etc to get people to sign up. I got 2.35meg all day every day on usenet - until the traffic shaping kicked in of course.

Low and behold, now the students are all back at UNI my speed of an evening drops to around 700k but browsing the net is abysmally slow and playing an online games is getting worse. Of course, when I do join games it also spoils other peoples enjoyment when my connection is so laggy.

I think there should be some legislation where if a service is advertised, then there should be a minimum cut off (say 60%) where if the provider can't provide that to customers, then they need to re-assess whether they should be advertising it as such in the first place.

As it is, web browsing is slow, download speeds of an evening are a joke, and gaming is becoming something I avoid as there is no enjoyment to be had.

So, what exactly does £37 per month buy me?

TobyLee
04-10-2007, 18:20
Quit this pile of **** like me!

sollp
04-10-2007, 18:39
You could go to BT or one of the many ISP's that use it's network, but i'm afraid this issue is not exclusve to Virginmedia. They are all the same, they don't want to spend the money upgrading networks to give you, me what we pay for. I'm in the process of changing ISP,(i'm using ADSL) for these very same reason's. it just a case of hoping when you change that the service is better, but from past experience this isn't always the case.

That's why most if not all have some sort of traffic management system/fair usage policy's employed.

On BT,(or the ISP's using the BT network) you pay for 8Mb, but they will only give you "UP TO" and with BT that means that as well. But do they give you a reduction in sub's each month? No of course not. It's a bloody con with them all.

piggy
04-10-2007, 19:14
Quit this pile of **** like me!

and go to where???
ALL isps promise the earth and deliver very little and until some major spending is done on all platforms the problems will only get worse high ping rate,poor download, none exsistent upload, speeds "upto" are not unique to virgin everybody oversells there contented service and unless you want to burn the midnight oil the "peak hrs service" is dire for everybody