PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish Speeds - Should I go back to ASDL?

woody_enfield
02-10-2007, 14:36
I had UK Online's "up to 8 meg" connection and always got 4.5meg for £24 a month. I switched to Virgin's 20meg service two weeks ago and never get above 6meg. Most of the time it's 4meg for £37 a month.

I have spent numerous 25p a minute calls talking to someone in India reading from a script. My modem is fine and so is my connection according to them. But apart from that information they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I am connected using a Belkin G+ MIMO Router and it's not that as I connected the computer directly and it dropped to 2meg.

I have been using the Blueyonder games demo site for my speed tests.

Does anyone have any ideas before I cancel Virgin and go back to UK Online?

Thanks!

e2a I have tried turning off the firewall, and I am running Vista.

Pedro1
02-10-2007, 17:55
Try going into the routers settings and set your ip outside the NAT firewall setting to see if it makes any difference.

Sounds like something in the router settings is restricting you.

You said you are connected directly so you have it hard wired as when wireless you are restricted on most routers.

punky
02-10-2007, 18:03
But his router improves his connection?

:welcome: to the site Woody :)

You say the modem is fine. It may work, but some don't support 20 meg.

Assuming it does, I can only suggest calling rententions. They might actually fix the connection or give you a discount so you pay for what you are getting. Worst happens is you go back to the the UKOnline you were happy with.

Its not worth stepping down to 4 meg paying £25 as you'd be traffic shaped on VM whereas you won't on UKOnline AFAIK.

nicke261192
02-10-2007, 20:10
Make sure that:

Your modem supports 20MB speeds
Your router supports 20MB speeds
You try testing your speed via a direct connnection to your modem
You avoid speed testing websites as these vary greatly with the 20MB service and you try to download from virgin media game files to see what speed you are achieving
Check your power levels (192.168.100.1)
Do a virus/spyware scan on your computer and clean temporary files and defrag your hardrive
Test the connection speed on another computer if possible
Learn how to optimise your connection on this webpage/www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php)
Try to find out if you have been "cloned"

xspeedyx
02-10-2007, 22:49
so great points there i think we need a sticky thread for this checks taht are need for 20mb maybe one of the admin could do this

nicke261192
03-10-2007, 18:18
I agree too :D lol i will create a thread with this usefull information