PDA

View Full Version : Switching from USB to ethernet Old ntl customer

mtoise
01-10-2007, 21:15
Hello all and warmest greetings to everyone.

Recently I bought a new computer, and I'm wishing to exploit the greatest potential out of my NTL / Virgin cable performance, and hence I decided I would try to connect the modem via ethernet, and thus avoid the USB limitations.

Initially the switch over from USB on old machine to new machine works well and gives me an average speed, however when I follow procedures on switching to Ethernet from USB, i simply get limited on no service.

I have followed the procedures such as shut down, switch off, switch over, switch on, boot up as suggested on many sites yet I cannot simply get my internet to work on ethernet. I have heard of ip renew and release however I fail to understand all this :monkey:

Could anyone offer any kind help?

Kind Regards

Mark

Kindest regards

Tech_Boy
01-10-2007, 22:03
it could be a faulty ethernet cable, or the port on the modem or the pc could be faulty, the easiest way to tell would be to call tech support, who can run a test to see if the modem is seeing the pc.

If the ethernet port on the modem is faulty, tech support can either send an engineer out or just order you a replacement modem (either way if the modem is at fault the call should be refunded).

MovedGoalPosts
01-10-2007, 22:08
Your PC may be getting confused with the USB connection still being present, even if it is redundant. Check in your "network connections" setup and make sure that is disabled, or ideally removed.

Make sure your ethernet connection is enabled, check in your "network connections", and the drivers are current. Might be worth deleting and reinstalling to be certain.

To confirm, Power off modem and computer. Unplug the USB cable, plug in ethernet. Power modem let settle then power computer.

petermarston
01-10-2007, 23:15
i had a similar problem and doing this fixed it

Open Control Panel Internet Options (or, in IE, pull down menu Tools and select Internet Options...).
Click on the tab Connections.
Click on button LAN Settings.
Check Automatically detect settings.

Mick Fisher
02-10-2007, 03:10
Are the drivers for your NIC installed?
If it is onboard, is it enabled in the BIOS?
Check link Speed/duplex settings. Test 100Mbps full duplex, half duplex and auto. use what appears to work best.

ickledude321
06-10-2007, 13:51
i am having the same problem, using an ntl 250 modem.
i have tried following the instructions on the virgin website with no joy.
i also tried using my laptop,which has never been connected to the modem before, on the ethernet port and it still did not work.... anybody got any ideas?

MovedGoalPosts
06-10-2007, 15:10
I have seen instances where the ethernet port on the modem was broken, and USB connection only was possible.

If having disconnected all USB and ethernet leads, plugged in ethernet only, rebooted modem, used alternative, reliable PCs and swapped ethernet leads over and still zilch, call faults for a replacement modem.

KevAmiga
06-10-2007, 15:58
What model is your modem?

Turn it upside down. If its a 100 / 120, its "possible" the ethernet port is damaged. It was a common fault back then.

When you connect the ethernet cable, does the ETHERNET light on the front of the modem come on? Or do you have to wiggle the cable on the back of the modem to get it to come on?

Also ..

click START > RUN

Type ncpa.cpl

Look for LAN or High speed internet.

You should have a local area connection.

IS it saying "Network Cable Unplugged", "Connected", "limited or no connectivity" or is there any sign of a Yellow exclamation mark or red X next to it?

Cheers

Kev

ickledude321
07-10-2007, 09:17
no ethernet light at all on the modem, tried 3 different leads, and my pc still says network cable unplugged.

MovedGoalPosts
07-10-2007, 13:51
Definitely time to be calling faults