PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Cable Issues. Low SNR (VM)

Zampano
01-10-2007, 20:02
Alright. First off, hi :)

Been about two months since I first noticed that everything was not running like clockwork (around the same time VM took over If I recall).
The problem was (and still is) that my internet would conk out, in a number of wonderful ways.

It could instantly cut out, causing a lovely light show on the RDY and SYNC lights on the modem, It could gradually slow down, until it stops, it could cut out, fix itself, and cut out again.
Basically, it was as if I had purchased a modem from Del boy and Rodney.

Had a gander at http://192.168.100.1/ as you do, to find that my Downstream Receive Power Level was off the charts, and Downstream SNR was down to 23-24 dB (and still is). At the time I had no idea what any of this meant, as I was instructed to use http://192.168.100.1/ by a tech forum (that couldn't help me any further, hence me coming to you guys) They said that the levels where too high/low, and that I needed a VM Engi to come tinker around.

I called, and after the 3rd call, I got someone who sort of helped me.
He said I was being optimistic when I told him my SNR. He said hes reading it at 13.3 dB :o: He agreed to book an engineer out to take a look. One did come (on time I'll add, which was nice), unfortunately I was not in. My wife opened the door to him and led him to the modem. She told me that he went up the road and gave my modem a 'boost'. I checked http://192.168.100.1/, and sure enough, my Downstream Receive Power Level was settled at a good 0.

But the SNR was still loafing around at 23-24.
And I'm still getting **** poor performance.

So, I asked my next door neighbor if he would plug his laptop into my modem this evening, since he also on VM. Worked bloody fine.

At this point I will state that I had formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Win XP after I started getting these problems. Meaning that If the problem was internal, it should of washed out with the wipe. If it is a hardware problem, then it can only be the modem surely, which it can't be as it worked fine on my neighbor's laptop.

I'm no Techie, I get along by personal experience, common sense and trial and error.

Will all signs pointing towards the problem being in my computer, where there have been no previous problems, and have been with NTL for atleast 3 years,
I'm lost for a solution.

If only there was a House MD, only with computers :D

Like I said I'm no techie. Chances are i've problem missed something really big, thought I cant see it.

Can you guys give me a hand, or at least tell me what steps to take next?

(PS there is no firewall or protection boulders blocking my internet, so don't ask. :D)

Mick Fisher
01-10-2007, 20:44
(PS there is no firewall or protection boulders blocking my internet, so don't ask. :D)
Get Free AVG and Free AVG antispyware, for now activate the windows firewall (you can get a proper firewall later on). When you are sure your computer is clean, defrag it.
If you are connecting via USB change to Ethernet.
Go to your NIC's configuration/linkspeed or duplex settings and make sure 100Mbps Full Duplex or 100Mbps Half Duplex or auto is selected. Use whatever setting seems to work best.
Now post back with your results and let us know your DS and US signal levels plus your snr.

Good luck. :)

sollp
01-10-2007, 20:45
Can you get your neighbour to check his modem config, if his modem is showing the same SNR issue it could be the network,(yes he could be fed from another cabinet) otherwise it could be your internal installation or the modem is faulty.

Check all connections within property, make sure if you have done any extensions yourself to the cabling that the cable and connectors are the correct type. I.E not the rubbish ones used on Sky installs and the cable is good quality RG6, as this WILL affect performance. then after this is done call them out again.

Nedkelly
01-10-2007, 20:48
What type of modem do you have ? ntl 100 120 200 250 255 .:)