PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable price for new boiler?

Alanmelon
01-10-2007, 18:35
I've been looking at some quotes for a new boiler. Had British Gas in today to give me a price for the following;

- New combi boiler installation
- Flushing of existing system
- New radiator valves
- New gas piping to new install site
- To remove and make good an existing back boiler and existing system (tanks/cylinder etc)
- Some additional flue work based on the new siting
- New Scale reducer device and "Magnetic Filter"

The price given was £4300, but with the reassurance that the figure would cover all works, with a year's warranty. This is quite a bit dearer than other local firms have quoted, but I'm impressed by the assurances given, the professionalism and the peace of mind in going with a big company. So, I just wondered if anyone else has had work done by British Gas, and what you think of the price?

etccarmageddon
01-10-2007, 18:46
BG always quote rip off prices. I wouldn't be surprised if they sub contract it to someone local anyway. A quality combi will cost around £800 to £1000 if you look on the internet. A tradesman will charge you a couple of hundred quid to install it.

Radiator values cost about £10 to £20 each plus a plumber should install them for around £20 each.

If you currently dont have a combi and have a traditional system then there's a bit of work involved but the cost should be around £2500 max and that includes the boiler.

Personally I'd never change from the old boiler style to a combi as they arent as reliable and dont last as long. Stick with a tank and a cheaper condensing boiler but a quality one.

A combi is ****E at maintaining hot water temperature - it's up and down like a yo yo as you burn you hands. If you do get a combi get one with a small tank in it as they are better at the hot water temp regulation.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

nb. yes, that you'd be mad to pay that price.

bob_a_builder
01-10-2007, 18:47
You may get a more targeted response on this other forum

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=94

There are specific threads there asking similar question to yours, querying theiir BG quote which of £3700 for what (on the face of it) looks like similar work to yours

Angua
01-10-2007, 18:47
Had ours done by BG a couple of years ago, more for speed rather than price. You should be able get a local person with a good reputation to do the job cheaper and just as reliably.

As for combi boilers you must make sure you never have a drippy hot tap or fluctuating water pressure as they are very sensitive to both these factors & you will wake up to a frozen house coz the boiler switched off.

superbiatch
01-10-2007, 18:50
I've got a plumber friend who says that the flushing out of your current system is absolute rubbish and will only knacker it up in the end. He fitted a boiler, and 5 radiators with valves whilst removing the old boiler and tank for £1750 - shop around ;)

Graham M
01-10-2007, 18:52
I've got a plumber friend who says that the flushing out of your current system is absolute rubbish

Hmm I don't see how this could be?

Hugh
01-10-2007, 19:00
We just had a replacement condensor boiler, remove and make good the brickwork where the old one was and the new one was going, 8 thermostatic valves fitted (we already had 8), all 16 radiators flushed then balanced, check of the existing Hot Water Tank in the airing cupboard (all OK), extra piping for the condenser part of the boiler, 2 days work in all, negotiated down to £2300. Also included was half-price maintenance for 3 years.

This was with Safegas (http://www.safegas.co.uk/), a large firm based in Yorkshire, who do work all over the country - the equivalent quote from BG was £3700.

superbiatch
01-10-2007, 19:03
Hmm I don't see how this could be?Only going on what i was told ;)

Altho they did do mine, then my boiler packed in :(

homealone
01-10-2007, 19:30
We had a new condensing combi fitted by British Gas, last year.

Yes they are more expensive, however the installation was thoroughly professional, included a discount for taking away the old boiler & a years free maintainance contract.

Our first combi, which the new one replaced, needed a new heat exchanger very soon after fitting, because the engineer (local Corgi registered chap) did not flush the system & the crepe in the pipes blocked the heat exchanger....

We found the original one was fine on maintaining the water temperature, provided we kept the internal pressure up to the mark, using the built in filling loop. The new one is even better, especially as we have had a thermostatic mixer valve fitted to the shower.

Even if the OP decides to go for a cheaper option than BG, I would recommend taking out a maintainance contract. The BG one provides for an annual maintainance/safety check & priority callout if you have a problem - parts & labour free. Obviously it is less likely to be needed while the boiler is new - but in our case the replacement heat exchanger I mentioned above would have cost about £400 to fix...

Stig
01-10-2007, 20:37
Shop around. Half the quoted price is fair...

etccarmageddon
01-10-2007, 20:50
go for a maint contract as mentioned above - it will be around £15 a month - only bother with British Gas as only they can be relied on to come to you and fix things promptly.

Alanmelon
01-10-2007, 21:43
Think I'll shop around a bit more...thanks for your responses. :D

homealone
01-10-2007, 23:29
go for a maint contract as mentioned above - it will be around £15 a month - only bother with British Gas as only they can be relied on to come to you and fix things promptly.

I've never been less than extremely impressed :)

We placed a call at 16.30 one afternoon - they had an engineer here by 18.00, he diagnosed the problem, downloaded the schematics for our boiler onto his laptop, ordered the parts needed online & said someone would be back in the morning.

- sure enough, knock at the door, next day, parts fitted, system working....

It does seem to be one thing that does 'what it says on the tin' , in my experience, at least :)

Angua
02-10-2007, 00:17
BG will service & maintain any boiler once they have checked it out regardless as to who fitted the system in the first place (as long as you pay the monthly fee that is).

Shaun
02-10-2007, 08:35
I've never been less than extremely impressed :)

We placed a call at 16.30 one afternoon - they had an engineer here by 18.00, he diagnosed the problem, downloaded the schematics for our boiler onto his laptop, ordered the parts needed online & said someone would be back in the morning.

- sure enough, knock at the door, next day, parts fitted, system working....

It does seem to be one thing that does 'what it says on the tin' , in my experience, at least :)

'tis the only part of BG that works. And boy does it work - I worked in the call centre for a short period and the staff can't do enough for the customers. The management on the other hand are hideous and try and stop staffs bonuses any time they can. I'm surprised the staff still fight the customers side for them as hard as they do. :)

Acathla
02-10-2007, 09:30
have had a local plumber in last night to quote on near enough exactly what you have asked. he will put the quote in the post and i'll report back how much it is so you can compare.

bonzoe
02-10-2007, 19:39
BG will service & maintain any boiler once they have checked it out regardless as to who fitted the system in the first place (as long as you pay the monthly fee that is).

Slightly off topic, do you have to get your gas from BG, or is service contract available as a standalone?

multiskilled
02-10-2007, 21:09
Slightly off topic, do you have to get your gas from BG, or is service contract available as a standalone?

No, I get my gas from a different supplier and have a bg service contract.

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-10-2007, 21:17
I've got a plumber friend who says that the flushing out of your current system is absolute rubbish and will only knacker it up in the end.

Not true, we had ours flushed a few years back as we have microbore pipes which were blocking up plus we were getting cold spots in radiators. Flushing it out and then putting an inhibitor in solved the problem

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

A lot of the BG contracts state they will service and maintain (if the parts are available). If you need a new bolier often the contract doesnt cover it

SMG
03-10-2007, 00:40
I've got a plumber friend who says that the flushing out of your current system is absolute rubbish and will only knacker it up in the end.

I dont think the vast majority of plumbers would agree with that at all. I cleaned & flushed 3 systems in the last year & all 3 are running sweet as a nut now.

superbiatch
03-10-2007, 08:45
I dont think the vast majority of plumbers would agree with that at all. I cleaned & flushed 3 systems in the last year & all 3 are running sweet as a nut now.

Only going on what i was told and seen as i'm no plumber i tend to listen ;)

Incidentally, i do remember BG pushing me to have the flushing done stating they were the only company who had 'the equipment' - is that true?

etccarmageddon
03-10-2007, 08:52
no that is rubbish. the equipment for flushing is available to all plumbers.

superbiatch
03-10-2007, 08:56
no that is rubbish. the equipment for flushing is available to all plumbers.

Thought so, they are just a company of rip off merchants and I wouldn't touch them. I understand the engineers are now basically sales people with tough targets to meet, but using underhand sales techniques like lying is well out of order.

Thanks for confirming that ;)

goldoni
03-10-2007, 21:40
Have you never heard of being hoisted by your own petard? Fact on a new installation of a boiler the system must be flushed as per Manufactures instructions, failure to comply could lead invalidate any guarantee given by the Manufacture.

The most important fact is what combi boiler is being fitted for that price? What flow rate is being promised? How long will it take to fill a bath? What temperature rise will you get on the hot water?

I have seen the £1,500 installs. The combi fed with the wrong size gas supply, the warning discharge pipe is not fitted correctly and the condisent pipe runs down the drive!

With British gas you are covered and you will get the install done correctly, yes the price will be higher but you pays your money and take your choice.

Vlad_Dracul
15-10-2007, 15:57
I've got a plumber friend who says that the flushing out of your current system is absolute rubbish and will only knacker it up in the end. He fitted a boiler, and 5 radiators with valves whilst removing the old boiler and tank for £1750 - shop around ;)

I would tend to disagree with your plumber friend. If i were installing a nice new modern boiler into an old system,I'd insist that the system be flushed. Anything else would be a recipe for disaster.

Nidge
16-10-2007, 05:28
For the work you need you shouldn't be paying more than £2500 - £3000 for the whole shooting match. Make sure you get a Corgi registered installer a decent local plumber worth his salt will be Corgi registered who will do you a good job at a decent price.

I had mine changed over a few years ago, I used to be on coal when I worked down the mines so we got coal for free, when the mines closed the free coal stopped, I kept the coal fire for a good few years because the fire and the back boiler were OK, when I decided to change over the fire got took out, a little boiler was placed in the kitchen nearly out of sight, the old fireplace was took away, the hole was plastered up leaving me more room in the living room. When the installer had finished we cranked it up, within 10 minutes it was like a sauna, the best thing about it was the instant hot water as soon as you turned the taps on.:D:D:D:D:D