PDA

View Full Version : The worst install ever! (ADVICE NEEDED)

UncleBooBoo
29-09-2007, 22:41
Hmm OK here goes, I decided to get virgin media's 2 for £20 package! (Phone, BB & Free TV!)

I have been having problems with my BT line, Noise on the line which has been causing problems with sky broadband! BT want to charge me £99 for every visit if the fault is not present on my line when the engineer calls and as it's an intermittent fault the chances of it being there when the engineer calls are slim even though the noise is there when i call faults and they can hear it! :confused:

OK the Virgin Media guy turned up at 10.30am and proceeded to install TV and phone in living room and broadband in my bedroom! (installed all new cables from grey box located on the front of my house!) TV & phone is work in the living room although he had to go through five pace boxes before we struck it rich with a working one, all the others were stuck on tune!!! (I promise you I am not telling you lies!!!)
Now when the guy left my BB was synced, he left at 1.05pm I called the boss at 2.10pm as I could not register as the modem would not stay synced! Installer was back by 2.30pm!!!

Now this is where it gets bad, really bad! :shocked:

Before you read on here is the setup, Grey box on wall, telco cable connected to telco cable which goes to living room. Coax cable connects to a two way splitter, from that one coax cable goes to an isolator located in living room, second coax cable goes to isolator located in bedroom!

Signal of main cable located in grey box was +4DB!!! (Splitter takes away 3.5DB)

He tried everything you could think of but BB would not sync. He was still here at 4.00pm BB would not sync apart from once for 3-5 minutes and during this time i managed registration but modem failed to sync after that and has not synced since! (I did inform him when he returned that my neighbours had a re-pull a week ago but I did not know the reason why, maybe that would help???)

The boss called him at 4.00pm screaming at him to finish the other installs he had booked for the afternoon, so he left!!! Leaving my cables hanging off the walls, my ntl box outside laying on the pavement with nothing working and he even left a couple of brand new modems here as he tried about seven but all would not sync! (even some of his tools)

OK I went mad, I called his boss, but guess what answer phone! I left a message basically saying if he did not contact me within the hour I was going to throw everything on my front lawn and where he could stick his services and his equipment!!! (And I would have!)
Now don’t get me wrong I feel sorry for the installer I really do, he did everything that could be done, and he only left me in that mess because his boss ordered him to!

Anyway ten minutes later the installer turns up with a helper, Boss orders them to replace all cable!! Refused to book a re-pull???
Replaced cable but no joy, now I have a technical team calling Monday or so they say!

I asked them to knock my neighbours and ask about their re-pull! (like I had been saying all day) Turns out they had the same problem, there signal was 1DB higher than mine? Their modem does connect now but it still keeps losing sync also!!!

They left my house gone 7.00pm!!! But BB still does not work??

Can anyone offer me advice as to the possible cause? If not what do I do??

Sorry if this sounds a mess, I have been drowning my sorrows! :(

fatassmichael
30-09-2007, 04:14
That is an absolute shambles mate, your power level, if it is downstream, is not that that bad, but if your neighbour required a re-pull, that would suggest a deterioration of the cables from that cab, and the network team at VM should really be looking into that, i do agree it is not the installers fault, but i would be back on the phone to VM demanding they either a) get their act together and install you properly, or b) you will cancel within your 30 day "love us or your money back guarantee" period and switch to another provider.

Pedro1
30-09-2007, 06:57
That is an absolute shambles mate, your power level, if it is downstream, is not that that bad, but if your neighbour required a re-pull, that would suggest a deterioration of the cables from that cab, and the network team at VM should really be looking into that, i do agree it is not the installers fault, but i would be back on the phone to VM demanding they either a) get their act together and install you properly, or b) you will cancel within your 30 day "love us or your money back guarantee" period and switch to another provider.

totally agree. The problem looks like it is from VM's street cables or server.
NOT THE CUSTOMERS as the neighbor had the same problem and still is.

Yip call them up and demand it is sorted or cancel.

Shambles.

Bring back NTl and Telewest as Richard is making a right ***sss of things.

I was Telewest b4 Virgin took over and i must say i have seen a difference in the customer service. It's went right down hill.

UncleBooBoo
30-09-2007, 08:56
Thanks for the advice, I decided to plug the modem back in this morning and guess what!

IT'S WORKING???

I am on my vm bb connection writing this, how long will it work I don't know but fingers crossed!

Here are some stats:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.8 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 33584000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 61.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

I hope they turn up Monday to finish this job, My box outside is on the floor and those crimped F-connectors they use are bent and snapped!!! Cables are all loose although not too fussed I can do them myself!

UPDATE:
Damn that did not last long, it's still dropping connection but it is reconnecting! At least it's connecting today because yesterday I was not even doing that! :(

See what Monday brings!

fatassmichael
30-09-2007, 09:54
Your problem lies in the upstream power, it is at its very top limit, any higher and the modem disconnects and starts trying to "lock on" again, get on to tech support and demand a tech visit, they will be able to see the modem disconnections from their end, and see that it is not your fault, also tell them you want the call refunding.

UncleBooBoo
30-09-2007, 10:09
I think you are right, my modem no longer sync's again now and it's on 61.0 dBmV however I have noticed it jumps all over the place when I refresh as low as 21.0 dBmV!

But will calling Tec Support be any use? What can they do?

Ohh and what is the number for tec support?

fatassmichael
30-09-2007, 10:14
they are the ones needed to book a tech visit, the tech will sort your power levels and the modem shouldn't constantly disconnect.
Alternatively, if you don't want to speak to india, you can post your power levels in the newsgroup. They can then arrange a day and time for a tech visit.

UncleBooBoo
30-09-2007, 10:23
Ah will not waste my time calling them then!

A group of so called techs are calling tomorrow, well supposed to be to get this fixed and finish install!

Why did they not pick up on this yesterday though? 10.30am - 7.00pm and not a clue?

Also why are my neighbours having the same problem? Why book a re pull if it's their levels at fault? If they could not spot the fault on their line what hope do I have! :(

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Just out of interest, how does a tech lower the upstream power levels?

fatassmichael
30-09-2007, 10:24
I think it all comes down to the gamble that VM is currently, you do get some really good, dedicated employees, whether that be in call centre or techs, but also get the ones that could not give a stuff.
I would still give Cust services a ring and have them credit you for the time this has not been rectified.
Hope you get it sorted tomorrow, because, when it works, it does work well.

The techs have two ways of lowering levels, the "quick fix" is to install an attenuator on the line (usually on the back of the modem/STB) which forcibly lowers the power level, the other way is to adjust your position in the cab, this way they can either lower or increase your power.

UncleBooBoo
30-09-2007, 10:31
They tried both of those methods neither worked!

My setting in the cab is set to the highest setting which he said was 2, that is the highest on my cab! they tried lowering it etc... but no joy!

He even tried a Forward Path Attenuator marked at 3db but nope!

I guess I will have to wait and see!

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Upstream transmit Power Level : 8.3 dBmV
Downstream Receive Power Level : -26.8 dBmV

Are my readings with the 3dB Attenuator! (Not Good)

fatassmichael
30-09-2007, 10:38
It certainly seems that the problem is at the cab, did they try any higher attenuators?

Edit: I guess they didn't with those readings.

UncleBooBoo
30-09-2007, 10:45
No they did not, to be honest he told me he was not a tech, he was a subby! (installs only)

Although he did try is hardest! (Felt sorry for him to be honest)

Nedkelly
30-09-2007, 10:52
If other people you know in the street are having problems i would set my test modem in the cab and see what i get there then you know its the cab .As for the upstream the standard meter that serive use can not look at it stupid i know .If the ca is ok then you look at the connetors and splitters on the line .If possible i would run a temp feed to the modem from the omni box the box on your wall to the modem .This would let me see if the external was causing the problem .Each tech works differntley and some techs dont know about upstream levels :D

UncleBooBoo
30-09-2007, 13:17
He did that, he plugged the modem in at the grey box located at the front of the house as we used an extension lead! It worked but it does not work when wired up at the house!

They re-installed everything twice, all new cables, all new connectors you name it he did it! (I watched him)

As pointed out it must be due to the upstream power levels, at the moment they have settled at Upstream transmit Power Level : 56.3 dBmV and it seems rock solid at the moment! My connection is working again and I am posting this using it!

Once it goes to 61dBmV it will fail to sync!

Working with these stats for over ten minutes:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Receive Power Level : -3.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.3 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 22000000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 56.3 dBmV

I will try telling them about the upstream power levels tomorrow but no doubt they will shrug it off as they don't know! NED how would they lower the upstream power levels?

Maybe I can show them this thread, or tell them what I have read!!

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Well I'm still connected!

Weird my stats now show:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.6 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 22000000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size :

Edit: starting to loose sync again, I'll update you tomorrow when they have been!

UncleBooBoo
30-09-2007, 19:42
As if things could not get any worse!!!

It seems not only is my BB connection about as stable as Iraq but my vm phone line is faulty!!!

Although I can make calls I cannot receive them as the phone does not ring my end to alert me of an incoming call???

Quam256
30-09-2007, 20:38
Check you have been given the correct phone number ,dial 1741 to get your own number .

UncleBooBoo
01-10-2007, 11:17
Well a no show so far, I was confronted by my neighbour this morning while taking my boy to school!

It seems once he had his re pull his services were working fine, but since vm did my install on Saturday his TV and BB no longer work and he has to wait two weeks for a tec to come and put right! He was well ****ed and I don't blame him!!

Weird thing is my BB is working fine this morning:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.1 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream transmit Power Level : 47.0 dBmV

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Well they have been and gone after I contacted an area manager! (They did a re-pull)

Everything seems to be working now but I don't know if it is coincidence or due to the re-pull because everything was working this morning before they did the re-pull!

My stats now:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.8 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream transmit Power Level : 44.5 dBmV

fatassmichael
01-10-2007, 12:02
Glad everything seems to be sorted for you UncleBooBoo, hopefully you will stay connected.

UncleBooBoo
01-10-2007, 12:29
Well it's still up and running, upstream is still locked at 44.5dBmV!

Will know within the next 24/48hrs if it did the trick, thanks for everyone's advice.

One last thing, how can I find out my email address etc...? (I remember the password I used to register.)

Thing is i registered outside the front of my house using a laptop with the modem connected directly to the omni box while engineers were there as there was no other way!!! As it kept failing etc.. we had to be quick! Hence me being unable to print/write down the details!

lostandconfused
02-10-2007, 11:25
Well it's still up and running, upstream is still locked at 44.5dBmV!

Will know within the next 24/48hrs if it did the trick, thanks for everyone's advice.

One last thing, how can I find out my email address etc...? (I remember the password I used to register.)

Thing is i registered outside the front of my house using a laptop with the modem connected directly to the omni box while engineers were there as there was no other way!!! As it kept failing etc.. we had to be quick! Hence me being unable to print/write down the details!

CS should be able to give you your email adress.

brundles
02-10-2007, 11:51
Glad to see you're sorted now. Out of curiosity do you know if they happened to resolve your neighbours problem at the same time? I have a nasty feeling that in the same way as the install done for you broke the neighbours service that the fix for your neighbours may well break yours :(.

UncleBooBoo
02-10-2007, 12:53
Glad to see you're sorted now. Out of curiosity do you know if they happened to resolve your neighbours problem at the same time? I have a nasty feeling that in the same way as the install done for you broke the neighbours service that the fix for your neighbours may well break yours :(.

Don't know if they resolved next doors issues or not, I did tell them about next door but they refused to do anything saying he will have to call in to report it! (He already had, and considering they were the same guys who broke his connection you would of thought they could have tried to fix it!)

I know my neighbour talked to them because they said they had spoken to him in the street and that they were going to call in for a quick look but as he had a re pull done not long ago they put it down to him needing the cables replacing going from the omni box to his home!

I was also thinking last though funny enough about what you said, (about mine breaking when they fix next doors.) I hope that will not be the case!

BB & Phone are the two services I wanted, Cable TV side of things is just total rubbish in my opinion!

Maybe they managed to sort next door out, I have avoided them to be honest!

UncleBooBoo
03-10-2007, 17:46
Well my modem is still connected, however my power levels are all over the place!

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.1 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Hmm what are my chances of it going down again, I think the chances are high!!!

Must be a problem with the cab, because they done a re pull, replaced all cables coming from the omni box in to my home, replaced all connectors, isolators and all other equipment you can think off when it comes to cable!

UncleBooBoo
03-10-2007, 22:19
Ok my signal levels have changed again:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.2 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.3 dBmV

The upstream is the problem, I never had any downtime as far as I know but why are my levels changing like this?

It's the same readings from my pace cable box downstairs too!

UncleBooBoo
04-10-2007, 18:19
What a surprise, my broadband has been down again all afternoon!

Have to wait WEEK for an engineer, and it's not just me and my neighbour who have this problem but the guy across the road!

Looks like I may have to get rid under 28 day money back guarantee!

fatassmichael
05-10-2007, 16:27
Looks like I may have to get rid under 28 day money back guarantee!

Probably the best thing to do, I hope a new provider fairs better!

UncleBooBoo
05-10-2007, 16:50
Yea, well I am writing this on my sky broadband and I thought that was bad!

My Cable Broadband is down still, will wait for an engineer who is booked for next Thursday but to be honest they ain't really technicians just Drones who's only use is badly clipping cables to walls!

bluecandylover
22-10-2007, 22:56
I am sorry to hear you are having problems :( It's sounds horrible what you have been though due to installers and tecs coming round eveyr 5miutes.

Also is there a larger pic of your avatar as I would love to see it large?

Kind Regards,
Blue.

PS1
28-10-2007, 21:29
As if things could not get any worse!!!

It seems not only is my BB connection about as stable as Iraq but my vm phone line is faulty!!!

Although I can make calls I cannot receive them as the phone does not ring my end to alert me of an incoming call???

the ringer on the phone isnt switched off is it?
and btw, i like the iraq reference:D