PDA

View Full Version : Problem placing order - not sure why

icstm
24-09-2007, 12:34
Hi,

I have a few questions to those who know about cable services and Virgin Media. Specifically I am interested in understanding the activation and order process. I would like to place an order as I cannot get TV any other way.

I need to order TV, phone and BB.

I tried calling and they said that they cannot supply me, even though there is equipment in the flat AND all flats in the block apart from mine can be serviced.

Thanks,

icstm

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

FURTHER INFO:

Situation:
I have recently got my first place, which is in a block of flats which all have cable services. As the block is not a council block I cannot install my own ariel or dish.

I therefore phoned up VM on 7 September to ask about activating my phone line and about what other services they offer (eg XL BB and cheap TV deals).

For background when C&W first wired the site (all 300 flats in 5 buildings) there was a contract with the managing agents as well as with each flat. Now under VM this is not the case. If it helps, we are talking about Battersea in London.

What happened on the call:
Firstly the advisor could not find my address on their normal system, however she could see all other 20+ flats in my block. She then logged into another system, where she could see my address. On this system she could see that there had been cable services previously, but not currently.

When she tried to make the property live (or whatever needs to be done to create a new order) there were issues that she did not explain fully, but said that though she could see that the property had a cable installtion some time ago, but that it was not live and there were "issues" with it which could not be resolved.

My Problem:
I cannot get TV with anything other than cable, even internal arieals do not work well, as the walls are concrete. Without a site contract, I am not sure how I can get the estate manager to help. All properties have cable and the cable equipment for the esate and the surrounding neighbourhood is housed in the basement of one of the blocks.

What I understand:
I do not know much about UK cable services, though I am very familiar with BT, Sky and ADSL provision and I am technically minded (having read electronic engineering). This means that the points below could well be wrong...

Cable is rather regional, so each cable area has its own technical manager
The CVM systems are still not fully integrated, so not all customer / property info is centrally held
Unlike BT there is no universal supply requirement
Much of VM CS is based on reading scripts, rather than free thought

What I would like:
I fully working VM phone and XL BB
(or if that is not possible to speak with the relavent manager who can explain why every flat but mind is serviced)

MANY THANKS,
(sorry if you have seen this elsewhere)

icstm

MovedGoalPosts
24-09-2007, 13:16
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

There are unfortunately many conplications with installations to flats. In particular there need to be the legal rights (easements) granted by the building freeholder to allow the cable companies to install their wiring around and through the common areas. If the block was previously wired, that probably has been overcome, with Virgin Media inheriting the old C&W agreements. However it's always possible that those agreements were cancelled.

One then has to look at the specifics of your flat. There may well have been cables routed to you, but for some reason they were deactivated. It could be the old cables had a fault. There may be a localised lack of capacity. Only VM can know that.

You will need to persuade sales to get someone to do a site survey to identify what they issues are and why you can;t have cable when others in the block can.

There is nothing to compel Virgin Media to install service to you. They are not a statutory supplier.

icstm
24-09-2007, 13:52
agreed with your last point.

Sales did put me through to an automated tech team line, which recorded my address and details, but I have not heard anything from them - I have not spoken with a tech guy yet either. How do I get hold of them.

As far as I understand the agreements are still in place as VM are the authorised supplier to the site. (THough this is currently under review internally). As a leaseholder I am a shareholder in the freehold company so I should be able to find out exctaly on that front.

The issue is more likely something like a cable fault, but they should be able to fix that, as replacing one cable is easier than a completely new installation with new cables and boxes everywhere.