PDA

View Full Version : Replacement car advice

Chris
23-09-2007, 22:23
Mrs T had a rather nasty crash on Friday. She and Miss T are fine, largely because she was in our Range Rover. Nevertheless, it was T-boned by a small sports car at a fair speed and the impact has pushed everything in the cabin - and under the bonnet as well, by the sounds of things - out of line.

The Rangie is 10 years old, worth no more than £8k and, I reckon, is about to get written off, just as soon as the insurance company can get a look at it.

This is my dilemma: what to do next? We live in a remote, rural location and appreciated the security the Rangie brought - especially in the event of the road flooding, which it often does in the winter. We also appreciated the endless space. Mrs T is an agent for a children's clothing company, so she transports clothes rails in the car.

I don't think we can afford another Range Rover. This one was right on the fringes of affordability for us, and the loss of no-claims next year won't help. It was also extremely thirsty, even as a diesel, and even when running on a mix of regular diesel fuel and straight vegetable oil.

Our second car is a 1999 Ka2, probable value £2,200. I am quite prepared to sell this one, giving us a total pot of perhaps £10k with which to buy something to guarantee us access up our lane in all weather, and something large for the family. I am very interested in a 7-seater as we have lots of visitors here and they often don't have their own car.

For fuel ... diesel if at all possible. And if it's an engine that's known for running well on SVO, so much the better.

There are too many variables and too many possibilities, and frankly both Mrs T and I are having trouble thinking straight at the moment because every time we look at the major dent in the side of the Range Rover, we wonder what would have happened if she had been in the Ka instead. :(

So, what do you all think?

Tezcatlipoca
23-09-2007, 22:32
Can't give any car advice, as I don't drive, but I'm glad that Mrs T & Miss T are both fine :tu: :)

lostandconfused
23-09-2007, 22:35
Glad everyones ok from the accident

What about something a little bit smaller than a range rover, and going for a discovery?

Or possibly going for an MPV for usual day to day use, and an old defender for when access is an issue?

Chris
23-09-2007, 22:35
Can't give any car advice, as I don't drive, but I'm glad that Mrs T & Miss T are both fine :tu: :)

Thanks Matt. Miss T is completely oblivious of course, she's only 2 ... when everything had stopped and gone quiet she just asked, "What happened mummy?"

Mrs T is physically uninjured but pretty shaken up. She has borrowed a car off her dad, and had to drive it past the scene coming home this evening, which was quite unnerving for her.

It was the passenger side that got the thumping, and they were both sat on the driver's side. The front passenger door will have to be cut off if the garage it goes to want to open it. The rear nearside door opens with difficulty.

superbiatch
23-09-2007, 22:39
How old was your last range rover? Just been looking on autotrader and you can get a 2000/01 for approx 10k. They are known gas guzzlers, but so are all the other 4x4's.
If you need the space, how about a van? :confused:

Chris
23-09-2007, 22:43
How old was your last range rover? Just been looking on autotrader and you can get a 2000/01 for approx 10k. They are known gas guzzlers, but so are all the other 4x4's.
If you need the space, how about a van? :confused:

The Range Rover was 10 years old. £10k is beyond the budget, because I only have that much to spend if I sell the Ka as well, and then we need to buy two replacement cars.

We need space for a family, additional space for guests/visitors, guaranteed access, and loads of room for a clothes stall, more or less in that order, and not necessarily all from the one vehicle.

Currently I commute in the Ka while Mrs T shuttles the children round in the Range Rover.

A van wouldn't be practical as she doesn't cart the stall round often enough. It has to be a family car that can handle the stall from time to time. Another reason why I wondered if a 7-seater would fit the bill. Trouble is, I know absolutely nothing about the merits of the varous 7-seaters out there.

I have had a look round Auto Trader briefly earlier this evening, but unless you have some idea what you're looking for, it doesn't really get you very far.

superbiatch
23-09-2007, 22:50
OK, so it looks like a people carrier probably is your best bet. I think you can't go wrong with those that have been around for a few years. My uncle has the Ford Galaxy, but its actually a VW Sharan :confused: and hasn't had a problem with it in years IIRC (just usual maintenance)

I'd suggest you get an idea of which is best for you (price, mileage, upkeep costs etc) and then get checking out reviews on them online. Might i also suggest registering with a car related forum - I'm a mod on www.renaultforums.co.uk (http://www.renaultforums.co.uk) and you can find out endless info on the whole renault range (altho i'm not sure i'd buy another one ;)) there. Most makes have their own forum which can end up saving you a whole lot of hassle in the long run :rolleyes:

punky
23-09-2007, 23:06
Glad to hear Mrs and Miss T are fine.

Why not jump down to a Discovery? A Range Rover is only the execuctive version, which goes against the utilatarian principals of it anyway. The engines are sound. A quick poke around and you can get an 6-8 year old Disco for around 8 grand. You can save more by going to a Freelander.

You could also aim for car auctions for a bit of a bargin too.

Chris
23-09-2007, 23:17
OK, so it looks like a people carrier probably is your best bet. I think you can't go wrong with those that have been around for a few years. My uncle has the Ford Galaxy, but its actually a VW Sharan :confused: and hasn't had a problem with it in years IIRC (just usual maintenance)

I'd suggest you get an idea of which is best for you (price, mileage, upkeep costs etc) and then get checking out reviews on them online. Might i also suggest registering with a car related forum - I'm a mod on www.renaultforums.co.uk (http://www.renaultforums.co.uk) and you can find out endless info on the whole renault range (altho i'm not sure i'd buy another one ;)) there. Most makes have their own forum which can end up saving you a whole lot of hassle in the long run :rolleyes:

What do you think of the Grand Espace? (have just been back on Auto Trader, and a few other sites).

punky
23-09-2007, 23:25
If you want something a bit newer for the same price, you could look to the Jeep Cherokees

Wicked_and_Crazy
23-09-2007, 23:29
Are you sure you will lose no claims? was it Mrs T's fault?

If it gets written off you need to argue your case that the payment amount should allow you to buy the same vehicle of the same age in the same condition. We did that once in the dim and distant past and got the insurance company to stump up an extra grand (20%) by proving what it would cost to replace the car. Mind you we had to produce exidence of cars onsale in the local area, provide service history of the written off car etc etc

Angua
23-09-2007, 23:33
This is a thread for Marky!

Does it need to be a Range Rover make or will another 4X4 do? There are bound to be more economical makes of 4X4's out there and given the problems you had with flooding a while back it is not really worth not having one.

Chris
23-09-2007, 23:36
Doesn't have to be a Rangie at all ... if we can satisfy the need for a spacious family car, possibly with a 7-seater MPV, I'd be interested in trading the Ka for a small 4x4 to satisfy the 'access' requirement.

Just so long as the total budget doesn't exceed the combination of the write-off value of the Rangie, and whatever I can get for the Ka. My estimate is £10,000 max.

handyman
23-09-2007, 23:47
try looking at a kia sedona, they have a frugal 2.9 diesel. 6-7 seats depending on the year. I think you may just get into the models with removable seats in which case they will accomadate a 3 seater sofa with ease.

With out a doubt it was the most comfortable car I have driven (and selling cars I've drove most. Plus it is a lot of car to have around you in a crash.

TheDaddy
23-09-2007, 23:47
How about a Ssangyong, you can pick a 2002 one with low milage up for 4 grand here (http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=5&hassearched=Y&make=SSANGYONG&min_pr=75&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=8000&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=rm143lp&bodyid=0&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&ukcarsearch_full.x=71&ukcarsearch_full.y=14&start=4&distance=97&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200737294619332)

Glad everyone was ok btw

greencreeper
24-09-2007, 01:57
Miss T is completely oblivious of course, she's only 2 ... when everything had stopped and gone quiet she just asked, "What happened mummy?"
Awww bless. If only innocence and ignorance protected us from the world forever :) Glad they're both fine though. As for cars, not really my area of expertise, but I have heard things about auctions being a good place to source cheap vehicles - but best to take someone who knows about vehicles. The sort who can listen to an engine and sigh deeply whilst slowly shaking his head.

keithwalton
24-09-2007, 03:03
Are you sure you will lose no claims? was it Mrs T's fault?

Thats what i was thinking, if Mrs T didnt cause the accident then it will be claimed on the other persons policy and not yours. I'm strugeling to think how you can be t-boned passenger side and be your fault.

The espace's are good and were proven by fifth gear a while ago as safer to be in than a 4x4. Though you do loose the ability to go through poor conditions.

I havent looked for prices but the volvo xc90 is well rated as a 4x4, and the xc70 is a 'cross country' (basic off road) version of the v70 (big estate). i think it has all wheel drive.

Disco's are ok but thirsty, the TDV6 is quick though. As for the freelanders mentioned i'd avoid the series 1 freelanders they were poor in comparison to the series 2, however the freelander 2 is less than a year old.

Have a look at parkers.co.uk for reviews of vehicles, alternative choices and rough guide prices

Nidge
24-09-2007, 04:59
Glad the missus and the young one came out of it OK Chris, I had to chuckle at the little ones comment typical kids hey?

Going onto the car side of things have you thought about a Kia Sportage or Kia Sorento (both are 4x4)? They are coming through the market nice now and are getting some good write ups in the car magazines saying they are value for money and reliable.

My late father used to have a Sportage and he loved it, he said it was one of the best motors he'd had.

superbiatch
24-09-2007, 08:53
What do you think of the Grand Espace? (have just been back on Auto Trader, and a few other sites).

Well seen as a forum generally gets to hear about the bad stuff, rather than the good stuff - i can only tell you there are less complaints about the espace than the clio, laguna, megane models.

Here is the espace section for a peruse http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/espace/97/

Graham M
24-09-2007, 08:58
Well seen as a forum generally gets to hear about the bad stuff, rather than the good stuff - i can only tell you there are less complaints about the espace than the clio, laguna, megane models.

Here is the espace section for a peruse http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/espace/97/

The Grandé Espace is an excellent car, my ex's family used to have one for transporting their disabled daughter around in her wheelchair, it's absolutely cavernous! The only trouble is if something goes wrong, you have to take the whole thing to pieces! (But that's the same with a lot of modern cars mind you!) They now have the similar sized Kia and seem impressed with that.

Raistlin
24-09-2007, 09:10
Dunno much about cars, so can't help with that I'm afraid.

Just wanted to say that I'm glad Mrs T and Little Miss T are ok.

Chris
24-09-2007, 09:40
Thats what i was thinking, if Mrs T didnt cause the accident then it will be claimed on the other persons policy and not yours. I'm strugeling to think how you can be t-boned passenger side and be your fault.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

And all the advice so far as well - please keep it coming!

Just to answer this question though: it was her fault, sadly. She got a little too close to the edge of a rural road without a kerb, hit the mud, over-corrected and swerved across the road. Came to rest with her nose in a bush and got poleaxed by an Audi TT coming the other way a second or two later.

By all accounts, there wasn't a lot left of the TT, although thankfully the driver walked away from it.

Another question for any number plate experts out there: when we acquired the Range Rover it had a 'cherished' plate on it. Actually not a very expensive one, just one of the Northern Ireland ones. However it should be worth a couple of hundred.

If they do want to write the car off, how do I get the plate off it? My understanding is that you have to present the car 'in person' as it were, at a DVLA office, before they let you put it on a retention certificate.

Aragorn
24-09-2007, 09:53
There is a paragraph on cherished numbers and write-off's on this DVLA (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022057) page. Essentially you need to get the DVLA to inspect it before it is disposed of, and also make sure the insurance company don't sell the wreck with the plate intact.
Glad everyone is OK.
Honest John (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm)'s site is good for reviews of cars - with a limited budget I would probably look at one of the 'cheaper' brands, eg Kia, so that you get more for your money.

handyman
24-09-2007, 10:25
My late father used to have a Sportage and he loved it, he said it was one of the best motors he'd had.

The older sportages have quite a cult following and are renowned for reliability. Might be a bit small though and I don't think the new larger sportage has been out long enough to drop into his price range.

Very pleasing to see plenty of recomendations for Kia, they are putting out some nice cars these days.

Uncle Peter
24-09-2007, 10:35
Glad to hear that everyone is ok after the accident :tu:

I'd highly recommend a Land Rover Defender County. Cheap to run, maintain and bombproof - I used to have one for quite a few years and really regret selling it. The only snag is that with the short wheelbase version the only safe place to secure your wee one would be the front seat. You can pick up a decent TD5 for about £8K

Another 4x4 with a decent pedigree and definitely worth looking at is the Nissan Patrol (great engines). Once again you should be able to pick up a decent one for around £7-8K.

Chris
24-09-2007, 15:08
I'm definitely thinking now about the small 4x4 route for access, and a larger family MPV for everything else.

The Suzuki Jimny seems to keep popping up wherever I look. Does anyone have any experience/comments on this vehicle?

In other news, the garage is coming to take the Rangie away tomorrow. And the polis are coming to see Mrs T for a statement. :disturbd:

Xaccers
24-09-2007, 15:49
How about a Xantia estate or if that's not big enough, a XM estate?
You can pick up good ones for around £500.
Expect to pay £120 to replace all spheres though you may not actually need to, and £50 to do a hydroflush (that's for the flush, and replacement LHM 600-1000 miles later).
If the roads flood, just rise above it.
It may be an idea though to re-route the air intake on the Xantia as it's down by the passenger fog light, but there's room to move it up should you need to (or just remove the down pipe from the filter box).
Not certain where it is on the XM, I'd imagine in the same place.
As you know, 1.9TD Xantia's can run on veg oil with no conversion.
The XM's though you'd have to make sure you get a pre 96/97 version as they changed from bosch pumps to Lucas EPIC.

Personally, I'd go with the Xantia, simply because they're so easy to work on, and spare parts are cheap and readily available from most good scrappies.
1.9TD's were used in 306's, ZXs, 405's, 406's, some Rovers and various vans.
XM's with 2.1TD engines are more powerful, and huge inside, but rarer and harder to find parts for.

Chris
24-09-2007, 15:54
Thanks Xac. I think I may have had the 1.9 TD in my Berlingo ...? It's just a Pug Partner with a different badge. Performance was solid but hardly spritely. The Xantia is all over the Veg forums as a good bet for SVO, although my neighbour is getting interested now, so we may yet go into some kind of partnership and start homebrewing bio from WVO. There are enough pubs and restaurants around here to support it.

I need to be able to do something with the 30-odd litres of SVO hiding in our dining room ... :erm:

Does the Xantia come in a 7-seat version? Off to check round the various websites now...

I love the thought of working on cars myself, but all things mechanical terrify me! What the blazes is a hydroflush?! :disturbd:

Xaccers
24-09-2007, 16:10
Xantia is only available in 5 seats, unless you can get ones fitted for the boot...
I seem to recall flip down seats in the doctor's Volvo estate in Saudi as a kid.

Hydroflush is used to clean out the hydrolic lines.
All you do is remove all the LHM (green hydrolic fluid) by setting the car on low then removing the LHM resevoir.
Empty it out and dispose of the LHM as you would any mineral oil.
Rinse the resevoir with parafin or petrol and let it dry, and rinse the LHM filters in the resevoir too.
Re-fit to car, pour in about 4L of hydroflush, start her up to get pressure, bleed the brakes (dead easy as you just push the pedal down, no pumping required) until clear hydroflush starts coming out.
Top up the LHM resevoir with more hydroflush.
Drive the car for 600 to 1000 miles, and repeat, but instead of filling up with hydroflush, use LHM.
Every 36,000 miles you're supposed to replace the LHM, every 72,000 use hydroflush, though all the Xantia's I've worked on have had these missed out, so the LHM rather than being a bright lime green colour, it looks a reddish brown.
Flushing really improves the ride quality too.

If you need 7 seats, then the only thing I can think of is the Espace, don't know how well they handle veg, both my renaults were direct injection :(
The old Picasso I think is only available with the HDi engine and girders instead of suspension.
The rear seats are designed with 10 year olds and younger in mind, as in the head rest doesn't go higher than my shoulder blades (I'm only 5'10) and are really uncomfortable, but it's cheap, hence it's popularity (personally, if I wanted a MPV, I'd go for the Scenic)

keithwalton
25-09-2007, 23:30
The Xantia is a good car for running svo on (as is any car using the XUD engine) and the hydropneumatic suspension is great especially on new spheres. I it also handy to raise the ground clearence by nearly a foot on demand.
If you cant change the spheres yourself tho (rears are known to be a right pain!) only the dealership can (nobody else pretty much will touch them) and will cost you an arm and a leg.

The xantia mk1 (has to be mk1 to get a svo compatible pre-hdi engine) is getting on abit now, and even though its a basic car alot of it is known to go wrong. Most of them will have racked up 100k + miles by now as well. Saying that they are a cheap comuting car as you can do ~50mpg on svo.

However being a 14 year old design now, I wouldnt want to be in an accident in one. The mk1 did badly in the ncap test (http://www.euroncap.com/tests/citroen_xantia_1997/16.aspx it basically failed the side impact test) and as such citroen had to release the mk2 to continue selling the xantia once it had become manditory to pass the ncap test to sell the vehicle.

homealone
25-09-2007, 23:37
Fiat 'Panda' 4x4 is still an option for all but the deeper puddles :)

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/fiat-panda-4x4-1004484.html

:D

Chris
26-09-2007, 11:47
Fiat 'Panda' 4x4 is still an option for all but the deeper puddles :)

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/fiat-panda-4x4-1004484.html

:D

That looks fantastic Gaz - there are even one or two used ones on the market in Auto Trader (though not very near me, sadly).

Only problem is, it is still relatively new to market, so the used price range is almost certainly a little beyond us - this will only be the second car after all.

Still, you never know, and I will keep my eye out.

:tu:

LSainsbury
29-09-2007, 10:18
Awww bless. If only innocence and ignorance protected us from the world forever.

And if little Miss saw the sports car coming it would have been:

"F******g Hell Mummy, watch out for that little t**t in his car, the f*****r is going to ram us! Oh s*** too late - the w*****r has hit us!

Sorry for the use of the ****'s :shocked:

Glad everyone is ok!

altis
29-09-2007, 11:13
If you want to check out some running costs try this site:
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/

It contains the fuel consumption and emissions database which is used to calculate the road tax. In particular, go to the downloads page and get hold of one of the spreadsheets with all the figures. Then it's easy to sort by 'pence per mile' or whatever you want.

You might want to investigate alternative fuels (ie LPG) which are cheaper to run but there may not be a filling station near you. Last week I used ones in Oban, Onich and Gretna on our way to/from Mull. There's a full list of LPG stations here:
http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/

Chris
29-09-2007, 11:24
There isn't any LPG very near us - certainly none on our regular routes anyway.

At the moment I'm looking at a Suzuki Jimny, which is pretty economical anyway (1.3l petrol, no diesel option there sadly) and a Vauxhall Zafira diesel, which is the best compromise between fuel economy, insurance group and road tax band.

However at this stage we haven't yet formally been told the car is written off, so we can't actually do anything ...

Chris
29-09-2007, 19:56
Right, we have the letter from the insurer.

They are offering £3,300 for the Range Rover. This is totally ridiculous - I have written back, enclosing valuations from Parkers and Auto Trader (both mileage-adjusted, it had 145,000 on it), which average at £5,500 for a similar replacement from an independent dealer. Both valuations are attached for your reading pleasure. :D

What do we think - faced with this evidence, are they likely to revise their offer up to where it should be? They are starting from an appallingly low base.

Their letter says it takes account of the 'pre-accident condition of the vehicle'. Frankly I'm dubious. The recovery vehicle didn't have it back at the yard until Tuesday afternoon, and the insurance company wrote to me on Friday. I'm suspicious that they haven't even bothered to send an assessor, seeing as it was fairly obvious it was going to be written off.

If they begin to get difficult, should I insist on seeing a copy of their assessor's report, with a date and time of inspection?

Angua
29-09-2007, 23:04
Surely they should pay near to the value you put on the car when you insured it. Otherwise what is the point of insurers asking for the current value of your car when you ask for a quote. :shrug:

handyman
30-09-2007, 11:54
Unfortunately parkers and autotrader valuations vary from the trade valuations such as cap and glasses guide.

I used to have access to cap data but recently they have changed the password :(

Chris
30-09-2007, 15:22
I nearly paid for a Glasses price, but their web page specifically said it shouldn't be used to establish the write-off value of a car.

Ramrod
30-09-2007, 15:43
A van wouldn't be practical as she doesn't cart the stall round often enough. It has to be a family car that can handle the stall from time to time. Another reason why I wondered if a 7-seater would fit the bill. Trouble is, I know absolutely nothing about the merits of the varous 7-seaters out there.

I have had a look round Auto Trader briefly earlier this evening, but unless you have some idea what you're looking for, it doesn't really get you very far.How about a Honda Stream? The top of the range is a 2.0L VTEC, 7 seater (or fold down the rear 2 seats and have a cavernous boot). Our 57k 2002 is worth about 5-6 thousand.....the only thing is that it's obviously not a 4W drive offroader....but it's a very capable large family car and for it's size handles very well and is very fast.....

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

Surely they should pay near to the value you put on the car when you insured it. Otherwise what is the point of insurers asking for the current value of your car when you ask for a quote. :shrug:Never works out like that :(

Chris
30-09-2007, 16:47
The Honda looks nice, but there's no diesel option ... MPG is very important out here, as even the school run is a 10 mile round trip.

Ramrod
30-09-2007, 17:12
The Honda looks nice, but there's no diesel option ... MPG is very important out here, as even the school run is a 10 mile round trip.It's very economical though :tu:

Hugh
30-09-2007, 17:19
Re the insurance pay-out - my mother-in-law had her Skoda Fabia written off earlier this year (she wasn't hurt), and the insurance company offered a below-par amount.

We wrote back, enclosing not only the Parkers/Glasses prices, but two quotes from local garages for the same model/age/spec of car - they upped their payment by a thousand, without an argument.

They are just trying to minimise their outlay, just like you are trying to maximise it - write back and ask for more (with supporting evidence).

Hom3r
30-09-2007, 17:25
Why not try a mitsubishi pajaro? Its exactly the same as a Shogun, but has all the optional extras, should pick a nice runner for £10K

Chris
30-09-2007, 17:44
Re the insurance pay-out - my mother-in-law had her Skoda Fabia written off earlier this year (she wasn't hurt), and the insurance company offered a below-par amount.

We wrote back, enclosing not only the Parkers/Glasses prices, but two quotes from local garages for the same model/age/spec of car - they upped their payment by a thousand, without an argument.

They are just trying to minimise their outlay, just like you are trying to maximise it - write back and ask for more (with supporting evidence).

Thanks, that's just what I needed to hear ... affirmation that we're on the right track! I have sent them Parkers and Autotrader quotes, if this fails to impress them I will indeed go and get a quote or two from our local dealers.

I have heard of this happening all the time and I know the received wisdom is don't accept the first offer ... it's just when it actually happens to you, it's a bit draining, especially when you're trying to cope without the car, worrying whether the police are going to charge you (we just found out they aren't, by the way, although they are submitting a report anyway so the prosecutor might decide to go for it anyway I suppose).

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Why not try a mitsubishi pajaro? Its exactly the same as a Shogun, but has all the optional extras, should pick a nice runner for £10K

Looks nice, but given that Mrs T didn't especially like driving the Rangie, I think we've decided against a large 4x4 now. We need to get a sizeable, but manoeuvreable, family car, and then think about replacing the Ka for access - hence my interest in the Jimny.

I'd still be interested to hear if anyone here has one or has driven one.

mr_bo
30-09-2007, 20:13
<snip>I'm suspicious that they haven't even bothered to send an assessor<snip>
Doesn't work like that anymore, what insurance company have you got your policy with?
Usually the car gets moved from the recovery agent to free storage - an approved repairer, then it is estimated and the estimate is then networked to the ins co. Then a guy (engineer) with targets to meet sat at a desk looks at a series of images and the estimate, values it and decides its fate making appropriate adjustments he sees fit. Not a rip off as they are bound by industry regulations but none the less not always what you want.
I have up to date Glass' Evaluator if any help, glad to run your car through it for you.

Chris
30-09-2007, 20:38
I hear what you're saying but TBH that deepens my suspicions ... could they have done all that in 48 hours? That's all there was between the vehicle's arrival at the recovery agent's yard and the insurer sending out a letter to us.

The car was a Range Rover, 1997/P, 145,000 miles, 2.5 DT, no optional extras. Full service history, good mechanical and cosmetic condition. If you can put that through Glass' systems I'd be grateful. :)

mr_bo
30-09-2007, 20:59
48 hrs is quick, what ins co is it?

Wicked_and_Crazy
30-09-2007, 21:00
You could get an independent valuation to fight against the insurer. My bet is that they will now revise their offer.

You dont say if the FSH is with the main dealer or a back street garage

Chris
30-09-2007, 21:14
48 hrs is quick, what ins co is it?

Highway, they have offices in Ipswich. Arranged via the AA.

You could get an independent valuation to fight against the insurer. My bet is that they will now revise their offer.

You dont say if the FSH is with the main dealer or a back street garage

10 years old ... services all over the place. Not a dealer service history, no. :)

Chris
16-10-2007, 13:43
Well, time for an update. :)

I put a deposit on a Suzuki Jimny at the weekend. It's 51 reg, 21,000 miles, a snip at just over £2.5k. I think I did quite well out of that ...

Today I heard back from the insurer of the Rangie. They have upped their offer to £4,000. They phoned ahead of putting the letter in the post due to the strike, which was thoughtful of them. :tu: Brownie points to Highway Insurance.

Anyway, minus the excess I have £3,750 to play with. I can get a Zafira diesel of reasonable age/mileage for that, according to my research. I just need to get rid of our Ka privately now - the trade-in value prolly won't release enough cash to repay my dad who subbed me the cost of the Jimny so we could keep two cars on the road while we wait for the insurance pay out!

So if anyone's selling a Zafira, or wants to buy a Ka (V reg, 38k miles) ... you know where to find me. :D

Angua
16-10-2007, 15:58
I had heard that Ka's held their value quite well so think positive (and a £50 valet could add a £100 to the selling price)

Chris
16-10-2007, 16:05
I had heard that Ka's held their value quite well so think positive (and a £50 valet could add a £100 to the selling price)

Indeed, I did some more nosing around Autotrader at lunchtime, and it's looking good. I am definitely intending to call in the valet, when you remove two child seats from the back of your car after they've been in place for a long time, it's really distressing to see what you find ... the seats are very manky, and the car won't be going anywhere near the open market until it's had a proper wet vac.

On the other hand, Mrs T has been trawling her favourite forum (Mumsnet) for Zafira advice, and that's not sounding so rosy ... apparently they only had a centre lap belt pre-2005, and in any case the centre seat is tiny. Not ideal for three car seats.

Incidentally, I haven't mentioned it before now, but the reason we're suddenly so keen on an MPV (and the reason I was sick with worry when Mrs T had her crash last month) is that we are 'expecting' :D

Jr T number three will be with us late April or early May. :)

TheDaddy
16-10-2007, 16:14

Congrats :tu: :tu:

altis
16-10-2007, 16:18
Mmmmm..., three seats in a row?

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/100-greatest/03-large/40-fiat-multipla.jpg (http://www.channel4.com/4car/gl/gallery/gallery/18/4)

And probably quite cheap second hand too - but, IMHO, hideous!

Congrats in advance on bairn number three. Hope all goes well.

Jules
16-10-2007, 16:32
Great news Chris :tu: Thank you I needed to hear some good news today

Chris
16-10-2007, 16:43
Thank you everyone.

Does anyone have any experience of the Hyundai Trajet? It looks like it might fit the bill.

I agree, the multipla looks hideous. It also doesn't seem to have a very large boot.

ZrByte
16-10-2007, 19:15
Thank you everyone.

Does anyone have any experience of the Hyundai Trajet? It looks like it might fit the bill.

I agree, the multipla looks hideous. It also doesn't seem to have a very large boot.

Maybe a Citroen Xsara Picasso? very nice car and has three full seats in the rear. Has lots of nice little touches like storage compartments everywhere and forward folding rear seats so you get a lot of space in the boot when you need it. Have heard they are a good solid car too mechanicly though I have also heard some not so good things about the interior build quality, though I have heard the same about the Zafiras so might be worth a shot.

EDIT: Oh and congrats on the new broodling matey!!

Mr_love_monkey
16-10-2007, 20:31
Brownie points to Highway Insurance.

As a complete aside, I wrote/worked on some of Highways computer systems

mrmistoffelees
16-10-2007, 20:56
As a complete aside, I wrote/worked on some of Highways computer systems

Makes mental note to stay well clear.........................;)

On a postive note after two months my car is fixed :D :D

Mr_love_monkey
16-10-2007, 21:20
Makes mental note to stay well clear.........................;)

If you're ever on the phone to them and they get a 'Wibble Error' from the system - that was me.

mrmistoffelees
16-10-2007, 21:33
If you're ever on the phone to them and they get a Dribble Error' from the system - that was me.

Corrected that for you ;)

mr_bo
21-10-2007, 22:30
Incidentally, I haven't mentioned it before now, but the reason we're suddenly so keen on an MPV (and the reason I was sick with worry when Mrs T had her crash last month) is that we are 'expecting' :D

Congratulations for this great news! :)

If you need any more help on buying/selling then just ask, Evaluator also has a nifty little section on factory re-calls too.