cimt
23-09-2007, 00:03
Looks like the maximum speed you can get where you live is:

ADSL: 2.5Mb

Cable: 20Mb

ohhhh fancy. :o useful website.

Graham M
23-09-2007, 00:30
It appears to be getting the information from samknows, a bit of a cop-out if you ask me!

Mr Angry
23-09-2007, 01:43
Quite the most hilarious aspect of that website is that even if you tell it that you actually live in a BT exchange (http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/banks/5/bt-loc.html) it will return a 6.5mb result. Perhaps VM have banned the use of the number "8" and the term "Up to"?

janipewter
23-09-2007, 03:58
LOL! How ironic.

Akia
23-09-2007, 10:17
It appears to be getting the information from samknows, a bit of a cop-out if you ask me!

Well If they put the information on themselfs it wouldn't be independent would it.

Graham M
23-09-2007, 10:20
There are two main types of broadband: ADSL and Cable. ADSL comes down your phone line. Cable comes down a fibre optic cable.

Oh really?

saabmania2
23-09-2007, 10:40
(quote) Cable comes down a fibre optic cable.???

well i'm going to phone virgin and ask them where my fibre optic cable is,i have looked high and low and i can't find any fibre optic cable, i've only got coax, no wonder i 'm having problems with my service they fitted the wrong stuff:dunce: (wonder if they have done this to anyone else lol!!!):p:

Sirius
23-09-2007, 10:43
Oh really?

Thats Virgin for you. They just have not got a clue anymore.

punky
23-09-2007, 10:44
I'm very annoyed at that site. Echoing Mr A's comments, I would say its deliberately misleading. Its even giving me a lower figure that SamKnows/BT's rather pessimistic estimation.

Interestingly enough, it seems SamKnows's site gives chucking out a too many connections error thanks to Virgin's new propaganda.

Sirius
23-09-2007, 11:11
I'm very annoyed at that site. Echoing Mr A's comments, I would say its deliberately misleading. Its even giving me a lower figure that SamKnows/BT's rather pessimistic estimation.

Interestingly enough, it seems SamKnows's site gives chucking out a too many connections error thanks to Virgin's new propaganda.

what hope do we have when Virgin can not make their minds up as to what type of connection you have. I think its a pretty big lie to say if you are on cable your connection is fibre. We ALL know its not fibre, Its Coax for gods sake. This is what you get when a company makes all the knowledgeable people redundant and then employs marketing people who don't know their **** from their mouth :mad:

Geee WERE ALL DOOMED I TELL YOU

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

http://www.areyouuptospeed.com

It tells you the max speeds you can get in your area over ADSL and Cable

Looks to be a good site

That site is as much use as a lighthouse in the desert. Its inaccurate and downright misleading

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Well If they put the information on themselfs it wouldn't be independent would it.

There are two main types of broadband: ADSL and Cable. ADSL comes down your phone line. Cable comes down a fibre optic cable.

So which independent person made that statement then.

gazzae
23-09-2007, 11:26
Doesn't work for me just says Error on page

DerekRothwell
23-09-2007, 11:39
mine should say ASDL: 5.5mb but really about 16mb with BE 24mb.
Cable: 20mb but really only 13mb or about 2.3mb when we mess with your speed

Stuart
23-09-2007, 11:40
Well, it said I can get up to 6.5 meg ADSL. That'll be why I was averaging 22 last night then...

Sirius
23-09-2007, 12:26
Thats why i have said this
That site is as much use as a lighthouse in the desert. Its inaccurate and downright misleading

reggplant
23-09-2007, 17:06
Well, it said I can get up to 6.5 meg ADSL. That'll be why I was averaging 22 last night then...

Yes, but you're using ADSL2+, the site says ADSL even though its nor a very well done site, not much point at all to it if you ask me :P

Shaun
23-09-2007, 17:22

Using my post code and number it gives 6.5. Not bad you think, but I got 7 out of Bulldog on my BT line and 16 out of Sky.

It's just not a true representation of what's available.

Currently my Virgin line is giving me between 6 and 18! :erm:

Stuart
23-09-2007, 17:30
Yes, but you're using ADSL2+, the site says ADSL even though its nor a very well done site, not much point at all to it if you ask me :P

That's my point. As Shaun says above, it's not a fair comparison. Yes, you need an ISP who has unbundled the local loop, but the number of people with access to LLU is probably the same or greater than those with access to Cable (which you need to get near 20 meg from Virgin).

Of course, showing a comparison with ADSL 2 wouldn't show up the cable speed so well.

lucevans
23-09-2007, 19:05
(quote) Cable comes down a fibre optic cable.???

well i'm going to phone virgin and ask them where my fibre optic cable is,i have looked high and low and i can't find any fibre optic cable, i've only got coax, no wonder i 'm having problems with my service they fitted the wrong stuff:dunce: (wonder if they have done this to anyone else lol!!!):p:

Isn't cable broadband fibre optic as far as the street cabinet, then Coax from there to your modem? As opposed to ADSL, which is copper all the way from your local BT exchange to your modem. It's a bit cheeky of them, but they're 99.9% telling the truth (the other 0.1% being the distance from the street cabinet to your modem)

Callumpy
23-09-2007, 19:12
Its a liar this site is! it says i can get 7Mb in my area! well why dont i?

nicke261192
23-09-2007, 19:22
Its a liar this site is! it says i can get 7Mb in my area! well why dont i?
Could be your phone line or your computer thats effecting your speed

dev
23-09-2007, 19:22
ADSL: 0Mb

amazing!

Jules
23-09-2007, 20:22
ADSL 5MB

Cable 20MB

Paul K
23-09-2007, 21:06
My results were about right for ADSL v Cable but there you go.
Whilst every step has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the checker, the result can never be 100% certain. Up to 20Mb cable broadband rolling out summer 2007.

(Don't worry, we don't hang on to your details, or use them to contact you.)

Independent check, powered by www.samknows.com.
No speed checker will ever be perfect on ADSL as there are too many variables to take into account, let's face it even a phone with a minor fault can cause a massive degredation of speed :(
I'm going to be re-wiring our main BT socket soon as we don't have a proper test socket, I'm wiring on a mount with the built in ADSL socket and then we may well be seeing what speed we can get on our line, if it's poor or unstable we won't be moving away from cable.

Shaun
24-09-2007, 14:06
Could be your phone line or your computer thats effecting your speed

Affecting

Druchii
24-09-2007, 14:15
ADSL: 6Mb

Pretty cool. (Used my old address for it) It's fairly accurate for it as well.

As for somewhere i know hits 7mbps daily:
6Mb with ADSL

amateurfool
24-09-2007, 16:27
The VM site claims that i would get 6Mb ADSL, samknows claims that i would get 6Mb. Seems accurate to me.

(BTW both sites are doing a check in relation to standard BT ADSL, not LLU based superDSL connections).

Stuart
24-09-2007, 16:39
The VM site claims that i would get 6Mb ADSL, samknows claims that i would get 6Mb. Seems accurate to me.

(BTW both sites are doing a check in relation to standard BT ADSL, not LLU based superDSL connections).
I don't think anyone is disputing the accuracy of the ADSL figures (after all, they are taken from Samknows which is normally accurate).

Where I think the site is a little unfair is that it does not compare like with like. A fairer comparison would be with ADSL 2+, which probably covers a larger number of users than Virgin can currently service with cable, and is available (in some areas) at up to 24 meg.

danielf
24-09-2007, 16:39
Quite the most hilarious aspect of that website is that even if you tell it that you actually live in a BT exchange (http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/banks/5/bt-loc.html) it will return a 6.5mb result. Perhaps VM have banned the use of the number "8" and the term "Up to"?

But 7150 is the maximum BT profile on ADSLmax. I'm about 300 meter from the exchange, sync at 8128 and a 6.5 Meg download speed actually sounds about right.

Maggy
24-09-2007, 17:09
Funny!It says I can get 20MB.However it is my understanding that I haven't a hope in hell in getting that via the STB.Seems that they are being slightly economical with the truth.:erm:

6MB was the ADSL quote.Now as I gave a cable phone number???

Not enough detail I think.

amateurfool
25-09-2007, 15:37
I don't think anyone is disputing the accuracy of the ADSL figures (after all, they are taken from Samknows which is normally accurate).

Where I think the site is a little unfair is that it does not compare like with like. A fairer comparison would be with ADSL 2+, which probably covers a larger number of users than Virgin can currently service with cable, and is available (in some areas) at up to 24 meg.

Is there an online database in existance that will give you an estimated service speed for all of the various broadband products, or even just the ADSL2+ based services (which in "fairness" are not available from my local BT exchange).

dev
25-09-2007, 22:40
Funny!It says I can get 20MB.However it is my understanding that I haven't a hope in hell in getting that via the STB.Seems that they are being slightly economical with the truth.:erm:

right and it should say 0mb for anyone who hasn't got a stb or a modem currently? :rolleyes:

you *can* get 20mb you just need the equipment for it

saabmania2
25-09-2007, 22:44
you *can* get 20mb you just need the equipment for it

Don't you mean Virgin just need the equipment for it !! lol :D