PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Rather Ripped Off

blue166
22-09-2007, 07:43
Ok so the £30 odd pound payers are getting 20mb internet speeds with virgin yet £25 payers are getting 4mb still and so on. Now last time UNDER NTL all tiers were upgraded around the same time. So is this how virgin deal business then? "if your not paying the most then you can just rot in hell" attitude? Becuase i have heard nothing that 4mb folk will get their speed increased to 8mb or 10?? even 6mb would be something. But i suppose Virgin do not give to the less payer? Also im sure we are ripped off in the UK with internet speeds, I have heard about some obserd internet speeds in Japan etc.. Why we always get a raw deal in this country? its a joke.:confused:

xspeedyx
22-09-2007, 08:08
vm are testing upgrading 4mb to 10mb so thats gonna be soon so heres ur upgrade o yeah abd btw how is it vm's fault japan have higer speeds than us in the uk and btw the goverment are meant to be doing something about this as we are well behind on the speed front esp the upload speed

alferret
22-09-2007, 08:14
I dont feel like im being ripped off by paying £25 for a 4mb service. My 4mb is 100% stable and can be guaranteed at al times of the day or night aside from when STM kicks in. My ping times to most gaming servers are <40 and where as a lot of 20mb subscribers suffer quite a lot in both guaranteed speeds and ping.

Therefore IMO im not being ripped off, but I can see your point, pay 50% more for 20mb and ge a 4 fold increase in supplied speed, and im not to bothered as to if or when we 4meggers are going to get some form of increase in speed im very happy with a 100% stable connection.

brundles
22-09-2007, 13:07
It's that reliability at 4MB I'm worried we're going to lose if we get upgraded to 10MB. I gree that I don't mind (too much) so long as it's stable. I'd rather they spent their time resolving the 20meg issues first.

On a (slightly) related note, does anyone know if there are lists of routers compatible with the higher speeds? There have been a number of posts recently on here and other forums from people who had poor 20MB service until they replaced their router. I'm just wondering if putting together something like this (if not available somewhere already) would help people.

susan
22-09-2007, 21:33
I find a little tweak inside the modem solved all my problems.

xpod
22-09-2007, 21:52
I find a little tweak inside the modem solved all my problems.

Hows about sharing those tricks with this here old dog.

I`ve even got an old 120 i can practise on first.
Just nipping to get me screwdriver and solder iron....

Mick Fisher
22-09-2007, 22:00
Hows about sharing those tricks with this here old dog.

I`ve even got an old 120 i can practise on first.
Just nipping to get me screwdriver and solder iron....
That's all well and good but what we really need to know is, is your tweak really that small. :):):)

spankysmagicpian
22-09-2007, 22:03
It's that reliability at 4MB I'm worried we're going to lose if we get upgraded to 10MB.

My 10Mb was always rock solid. 10Mb speeds all day every day. Now 20Mb... anything between 3Mb and the full whack after about 11:30pm

On a (slightly) related note, does anyone know if there are lists of routers compatible with the higher speeds?

Thats a good idea - maybe start a thread (I haven't checked to see if one was done) I know when I was on 4Mb my SMC was rock solid and no problems. When I moved to 10Mb, the most I could get was around 7Mb through it. Had to go out and buy a Linksys as recommended by a lot of people on here.

xpod
22-09-2007, 23:45
That's all well and good but what we really need to know is, is your tweak really that small.

I wont know till i see it:)

Strangely enough though the wife says sex with me is no very good....:(
"EH" i says....."i never hear you moaning"
"thats the bloody problem" she says:shocked:

Joke folks......honest:D

Mick Fisher
23-09-2007, 04:48
I wont know till i see it:)

Strangely enough though the wife says sex with me is no very good....:(
"EH" i says....."i never hear you moaning"
"thats the bloody problem" she says:shocked:

Joke folks......honest:D
:LOL:

Horace
23-09-2007, 05:01
I suspect the reason why Virgin hasn't upgraded the two lower tiers is probably due to capacity. There are a lot more people on 4 and 2 meg than on XL and getting their network up to scratch to be able to supply all those users with higher speeds would probably require even more investment than for the relatively small amount of XL subscribers. So VM have/had a choice to let their highest value customers sit and watch as their neighbours got 8 meg (on Be at least) for less money or they increased their speeds. It seems perfectly fair and you're not getting anything less than what you paid for and you always have the choice to move tiers or isp's.