PDA

View Full Version : Exercise equipment readouts accurate ?

zing_deleted
21-09-2007, 15:09
What do you think? I calculate my calories burnt and like to have a rough idea of intake and output in a calorie basis however im concerned the machines are not telling the truth.

Today for example I did 22 minutes on the elliptical cross trainer and burned 400 calories then I run 3.5km on the treadmill and burnt about 300 calories.And a bit of rowing burning 100 cals in about 7 mins

Now these figures I accept they ask for weight and age but do not ask for height but I used an incline walker this asked for weight and age I set it to 30% incline and 6km per hour.Now this isnt an easy workout however in 20 minutes I did a vertical mile (a little further in distance) and the machine says I burned 500 calories. This seems like a lot,I accept that the body mechanics are different and actual contact with the belt is more than with running but could walking 1 mile uphill even if it is hard work burn more than running 2 miles?

Uncle Peter
21-09-2007, 15:25
I've spoken to my trainer about this in the past and he's always recommended a decent HRM for the most accurate calorie burn readings as the figures these cardio machines give you are generally only an estimate.

zing_deleted
21-09-2007, 15:27
But do you think its a realistic estimate? I dont mind it 50 cals either way but if its more than that then its poop lol

You have a trainer oh lar de dar btw ;)

SMHarman
21-09-2007, 16:46
You have a trainer oh lar de dar btw ;)If the last time you had someone show you how to use excercise equipment properly was at school then it is not so much lardedar but common sense, they teach you how to excercise properly and not injur youself as much as setting out a good program and really showing you what a hard workout should be.
I would imagine the machine asking age is doing that to work out the 80% heartrate / age numbers etc.

zing_deleted
21-09-2007, 16:47
A I was joking
B an induction to a gym isnt the same as having a trainer
C im qualified myself ;)

jamiefrost
21-09-2007, 17:04
I know one of the differences can be calories used purely for the extra exercise or if the reading also includes the calories that would normally be used if you were at rest (sort of metabolic rate).

The HRms are useful as the calories burnt do take into account your actual heart rate, most also provide %calories from fat.

No idea who they calculate this though.

JJ

zing_deleted
21-09-2007, 17:11
well im inputting less than it says to my program I use to keep track im happy enough that im doing enough :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
21-09-2007, 17:25
Ive recently shown a trainer an example where the calories burnt are rubbish. Two bikes side by side, exact same model and going through the same workout at the same level etc and the calorie usage was about the same however the effort required was way different between each machine for allegedly the same load.

Shaun
21-09-2007, 17:26
Zing, what's the name of the website you use for your calorie count again? :)

Uncle Peter
21-09-2007, 17:58
But do you think its a realistic estimate? I dont mind it 50 cals either way but if its more than that then its poop lol

You have a trainer oh lar de dar btw ;)

I could only afford the one... problem is, there's a big hole in me left sock now.

zing_deleted
21-09-2007, 17:59
lol lol :)

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Zing, what's the name of the website you use for your calorie count again? :)

www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com)

:)

Alien
21-09-2007, 18:27
No idea about calorie calculation, but I do know the heart rate monitor on my treadmill isn't even close to accurate.

Uncle Peter
21-09-2007, 18:34
This is a decent bit of kit:

http://www.redlionsports.co.uk/item--F55-Aluminium-Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-with-Body-Workout-LAVA--F55ALULAVA

Nidge
21-09-2007, 19:39
What do you think? I calculate my calories burnt and like to have a rough idea of intake and output in a calorie basis however im concerned the machines are not telling the truth.

Today for example I did 22 minutes on the elliptical cross trainer and burned 400 calories then I run 3.5km on the treadmill and burnt about 300 calories.And a bit of rowing burning 100 cals in about 7 mins

Now these figures I accept they ask for weight and age but do not ask for height but I used an incline walker this asked for weight and age I set it to 30% incline and 6km per hour.Now this isnt an easy workout however in 20 minutes I did a vertical mile (a little further in distance) and the machine says I burned 500 calories. This seems like a lot,I accept that the body mechanics are different and actual contact with the belt is more than with running but could walking 1 mile uphill even if it is hard work burn more than running 2 miles?

Ive never took any notice of the readouts you get from these machines, even the workers in my gym tell new users to ignore the readouts, they aren't connected to your body so how can they give you a correct readout? Jst out the treadmill on the highest possible incline then set it to full speed:D:D:D:D

Shaun
21-09-2007, 19:57
lol lol :)

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com)

:)

:tu:

Matth
21-09-2007, 21:28
On many machines, the computer is not connected to the resistance setting mechanism, so that immediately makes a mockery of any supposed calorie calculations.

I suppose a generator type machine could measure the generator output.

Alien
21-09-2007, 23:57
This is a decent bit of kit:
And expensive. I got 1 made by Oregon from Aria. It's a pretty basic model, & they only have them in girly pink now [mine's grey]. Cost about £18-20. It doesn't work out calories, but it does let you set an upper & lower limit to help you keep your heart rate between them, with an alarm if you go too high or too low.

<edit>
as for my treadmill, it has a couple of metal contacts you can put your hands on and it's supposed to read your pulse, but it's not even close to being accurate.
</edit>

SMHarman
24-09-2007, 03:30
<edit>
as for my treadmill, it has a couple of metal contacts you can put your hands on and it's supposed to read your pulse, but it's not even close to being accurate.
</edit>Some of the treadmills in my old gym would give HR readouts without touching them, something to do with all the metal in the building!

Alien
26-09-2007, 11:06
Some of the treadmills in my old gym would give HR readouts without touching them, something to do with all the metal in the building!
Weird. :confused: Mine just reads it too low [if at all]. I can be really pushing myself hard & it'll say my HR is only about 70-80bpm!