PDA

View Full Version : installation help needed

solidblind
21-09-2007, 14:17
hi i'm new to this forum and i have to say there are alot of ppl on here that know what they are talking about :)

the problem i'm having is that i've extened my vm cable so i can move my modem upstairs but after a while i seem to be getting packet loss and timeouts in ie. i have use the same cable that vm use (75ohm). i've run the same tests at different points in the cable and don't get any/or hardley any problems. back to my question, is it possible to earth the screen on the coxial cable to reduce the interferance due to it running with mains power cable at some point?

i'm trained up as an electrican so i know that this can sometimes cause problems but not sure if its possible to earth the screen really

any help wellcome as its now starting to cos some really bad lag when i play online games and get high ping rates

Paul K
21-09-2007, 15:32
Lengthning the cable can affect your levels, you really shouldn't extend the cable by any great length unless you know what your levels are and that they won't drop off to badly.
How did you do the extension, what terminations did you use and how long is the cable run now?

solidblind
21-09-2007, 15:56
i've basical moved the modem from the ground floor to the attic and in total its about 25 meters from where it leaves the vm box on the outside of the house. its split via a spliter with 'power pass' i got it from maplin ( here (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29530&&source=14&doy=21m9) ) its got screw on f plugs

Nedkelly
21-09-2007, 20:04
Is the cable you used air filled or foam filled .Single screen or double screen .Just a point for future refrence Virgin is changing the spec of cable we use to triple screened :)Packet loss can be that the snr has got to high

solidblind
22-09-2007, 17:50
so if i earth the screen on the cable this should help with the snr right? :eh:

Nedkelly
22-09-2007, 19:53
You could try it check or it could be one of your conecters causing it .Its a trial and error thing :)

sollp
22-09-2007, 20:18
i've basical moved the modem from the ground floor to the attic and in total its about 25 meters from where it leaves the vm box on the outside of the house. its split via a spliter with 'power pass' i got it from maplin ( here (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29530&&source=14&doy=21m9) ) its got screw on f plugs

Have you used the evil screw on F connectors that are used for Sky install's, and if fitted poorly your going to get problems.

Also as already pointed out, if your introducing another splitter your decreasing the signal levels, so if your signal was low but working before introducing splitter, then its going to be intermittent after fitting or not work at all.

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

so if i earth the screen on the cable this should help with the snr right? :eh:

No need for that, if you want to earth it, there is an earthing screw on the side of the splitter, but isn't going to help you, getting it done by VM will or why not get your self a wireless router, put the modem back down stairs where it was working problem solved.

TheNorm
22-09-2007, 20:28
...why not get your self a wireless router, put the modem back down stairs where it was working problem solved.

Or connect the router to a powerline adapter (http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm) and you'll have broadband at every electrical socket in the house.

Why faff about with laying cables when someone has already done it for you?

sollp
22-09-2007, 20:37
Or connect the router to a powerline adapter (http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm) and you'll have broadband at every electrical socket in the house.

Why faff about with laying cables when someone has already done it for you?

Seen those before, any good?

TheNorm
22-09-2007, 20:40
Seen those before, any good?

Yes! There is a recent thread on this topic here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/33620545-homeplugs-any-good.html

solidblind
23-09-2007, 20:15
thanks for the info guys. but i've tried wireless already with no real luck. i had to reset it about 3 times a week just for it to connect to the internet. with the spliter i've always had them there so that not the problem. the only thing that i've done is to change the cable for a longer one so the modem is closer to the pc. i have used the screw on f plugs yes but i know what i'm doing there.

the only reason i went with extending the vm cable was cos i was told it would be better than running a cat 5 cable all the way to the pc from where the modem was. if you have another way to do it then i'm all ears but pleas don't surgest wireless router cos i've tried 3 makes so far with no luck and not going to fork out more money for another make, plus there is the usb one for the pc to get too that all adds up to ££££

Nedkelly
23-09-2007, 21:35
The screw on connetors are a great cause of putting noise on the line and so is air filled cable .:)

solidblind
24-09-2007, 16:28
true they are thats why i added solder to it :) as for the cable i'm using the none air cored cable

just phoned vm and after explaining that i'm getting packet loss they want me to send them a copy of a trace route to yahoo.mail any one know how to get the ip address so i can run the trace or have a web site which will let me enter the url to trace to?

Mr.X
24-09-2007, 22:01
Try a pre-terminated 25 metre CAT5 cable and put the modem back where it was. Cat5 is good for up to 100 metre runs.