PDA

View Full Version : Phone connection in Grey box outside

carpy
21-09-2007, 09:42
Have recently been to help a friend tidy up some bits after his Virgin installation was completed. The engineer left the grey box (hinged cover) lying on the ground and the telephone wires & RF cables hanging out.

I've helped him clean up the grey cover and fit it on with a cable tie through the slot, but now the phone line isn't working.

It's probably a case of a wire being loose as the connectors for the phone line looked quite flimsy and badly done. Is there anywhere which shows the correct way to wire this up. I think there were 4 wires of varying colours, each joined seperately to another with a plastic choc block type thing.

He's worried about calling VM to do it as they said they would charge £30 id it wasn't their fault, but we have tidied / clipped the wires & replaced the cover so they will probably charge him.

Quam256
21-09-2007, 17:40
Have recently been to help a friend tidy up some bits after his Virgin installation was completed. The engineer left the grey box (hinged cover) lying on the ground and the telephone wires & RF cables hanging out.

I've helped him clean up the grey cover and fit it on with a cable tie through the slot, but now the phone line isn't working.

It's probably a case of a wire being loose as the connectors for the phone line looked quite flimsy and badly done. Is there anywhere which shows the correct way to wire this up. I think there were 4 wires of varying colours, each joined seperately to another with a plastic choc block type thing.

He's worried about calling VM to do it as they said they would charge £30 id it wasn't their fault, but we have tidied / clipped the wires & replaced the cover so they will probably charge him.

Cant see how they can say it was the account holders fault they have lost service when you had to tidy up the work after the engineer left .

sollp
21-09-2007, 17:50
If its a new install or reconnect, this should go back and get sorted without any charge being applied. Sounds like the usual bodge job by installs.

Phone them up and get them back out to install it properly.

carpy
21-09-2007, 18:05
We did a bit more than tidy up though. The cable was routed into the wrong part of the room so we pulled it back and routed it somewhere else. The plug had to be cut off the coaxial so I fitted another one, but it's not the snap and seal connector they use so they'd know we had changed it around a bit. This is the plug at the main street connection, supposedly inside the grey box but left hanging out.

It's just annoying because it's all working fine except the phone line. It's probably just got disconnected when I've pushed it back into the grey box, but I didnt want to leave it hanging out in the open like the installation guy did.

It must be easy to reconnect I just need to know which wire goes where! Saves them coming out & bodging it again etc.

sollp
21-09-2007, 20:18
We did a bit more than tidy up though. The cable was routed into the wrong part of the room so we pulled it back and routed it somewhere else. The plug had to be cut off the coaxial so I fitted another one, but it's not the snap and seal connector they use so they'd know we had changed it around a bit. This is the plug at the main street connection, supposedly inside the grey box but left hanging out.

It's just annoying because it's all working fine except the phone line. It's probably just got disconnected when I've pushed it back into the grey box, but I didnt want to leave it hanging out in the open like the installation guy did.

It must be easy to reconnect I just need to know which wire goes where! Saves them coming out & bodging it again etc.

NOOOOOO, Don't do it, well to late now. Your friend should have specified where he wanted the internal install to go, taking off the connector, and i'm guessing you've used those crappy connectors they use on Sky installs, will cause you issues as well.

You'll need a visit for the Telco cabling as if you twist the copper pairs together and leave them exposed to the elements even inside the cover of the grey omni box, this again will cause issues for your phone when the copper corrodes due to the damp inside the box.

Slap wrist time i'm afraid for installer and yourself.

dannyfishcharge
21-09-2007, 20:19
Undo the master (main) socket and find which 2 wires are connected to the back of the socket, then make sure these 2 colours are connected to the pair of blue or orange in the grey box.

MrChef
21-09-2007, 20:52
Why is it when Virgin install services they seem incapable of putting the cover back on the wall outside leaving everything open to the elements?This happened to us and had to call them back to get the phone to work.Someone got the phone working but then someone else had to come out to put the cover back on,meantime had problems with the TV service all because everything was left open outside

greencreeper
21-09-2007, 22:47
The choc blocks will be jelly beans - try squeezing them a bit

Yes - I am being serious :)

carpy
22-09-2007, 11:51
Yes I think they were almost like jelly beans if I remember correctly. Would giving them a squeeze help out?

sollp
22-09-2007, 20:04
Yes I think they were almost like jelly beans if I remember correctly. Would giving them a squeeze help out?

If the installer hasn't already compressed them, then yes using a pair of pliers,(no they aren't the correct tools, i'm gritting my teeth whilst telling you to do this) and give them a gentle squeeze, bit like when your squeezing your....

papa smurf
23-09-2007, 08:30
jelly beans are actually [ crimps wire insulating 8a] the color code of the telco cable is pair 1= white a leg ...blue b leg...pair 2 = white a leg orange b leg pair 3= white a leg green b leg , you should be connected on the white a leg and blue b leg from cab all the way to your phone socket

PS1
13-10-2007, 10:00
jelly beans are actually [ crimps wire insulating 8a] the color code of the telco cable is pair 1= white a leg ...blue b leg...pair 2 = white a leg orange b leg pair 3= white a leg green b leg , you should be connected on the white a leg and blue b leg from cab all the way to your phone socket
BRAVO:D
(Gets on my t!ts people calling them "jelly beans".)
they arent made of jelly, and they arent beans now are they!:D