PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing your 20mb service ... get what you pay for!

Wild Oscar
21-09-2007, 00:58
I've had the same problem as loads of other people around here recently with my VM XL package not doing the business! Basically I was getting about 1mb or less ... not good enough obviously!!

After spending hours googling around I stumbled upon the answer hidden in Virgin Medias own web pages ... here's the link ...

... http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php ...

The important bit is (for me anyway!!) the first 'tweak' concerning 'Duplex modes' ... mine had defaulted to .. 100Mbps/Full Duplex ... I changed it to '100Mbps/Half duplex' and *wham* ... I was back up to a full 20mb...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/185877881.png

Apologies if this is old news, but it seems such an important fix, in fact I don't see why it's not given more prominence by VM themselves ... it certainly sorted my problem, hopefully it can help a few of you guys out too!!

Mick Fisher
21-09-2007, 01:47
A strange one that. 100mbps/full duplex should be the one to go for but........

In my case with an Onboard Intel Pro/1000 I can't get a connection at all using it so I opted for auto negotiation which seems to work properly.

I haven't a clue why this is so but I think the important thing is for peeps to try all the relevent settings and use the one that works the best for them and the particular hardware config they are using.

Glad you sorted your problem. :)

danielf
21-09-2007, 01:55
Yes, NIC settings can have a profound impact on download speeds. TCP optimizer (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php) is a useful tool, though I'm not sure if cures duplex problems.

Ernie_C
21-09-2007, 10:36
....with my VM XL package not doing the business!!
I am pleased that you have established how to set up your computer to get the best service possible. I am, however, disappointed that you and others cannot be more positive when relaying this sort of very good information. In your case, it was YOUR fault not Virgin Media's, yet you infer the opposite from your quote above.

I suspect that many people complaining about Virgin Media, especially those on the XL service, need to look closer to home to resolve their problems rather than ranting about their ISP.

Thank you for your valuable input - I hope many benefit from your help.

SOSAGES
21-09-2007, 11:31
all the options in the network cards properties are a black art :)

phil699
21-09-2007, 12:59
i cant get above 10mb download speeds, tried the duplex settings to no vail :/

TheDon
21-09-2007, 13:06
i cant get above 10mb download speeds, tried the duplex settings to no vail :/

I'm getting exactly the same.
No computer on my network can get above 10meg down (well, it peaks at around 1.2MB/s) even though it's a gig-e network, and it's the same story when directly connected to the modem.
I used to get the full 20meg constantly, but lately I can't hit above 10 and nothing has changed my side so I know my setup is capable of it.

It doesn't seem to be a conjestion problem either as it doesn't matter what time it is the speed rises to 1.2MB/s and no more, it can be 4am or 4pm, it's always the same story.

Wild Oscar
21-09-2007, 15:16
I am pleased that you have established how to set up your computer to get the best service possible. I am, however, disappointed that you and others cannot be more positive when relaying this sort of very good information. In your case, it was YOUR fault not Virgin Media's, yet you infer the opposite from your quote above.

I suspect that many people complaining about Virgin Media, especially those on the XL service, need to look closer to home to resolve their problems rather than ranting about their ISP.

Thank you for your valuable input - I hope many benefit from your help.

Wow ... what a strange reply ... I thought I was being positive!!
Oh well, you can't please all the people ...

Abstract
21-09-2007, 19:16
I'm the same, can't get any higher then 10MB, download speeds of around 1-1.5MB/s. I've tried everything that's been suggested in this thread.

Hom3r
21-09-2007, 19:56
sppeds gone up :)

Mick Fisher
21-09-2007, 20:03
Due to some presumedly obscure and as yet undisclosed circumstances I have always found it difficult to obtain a decent DTV service from VM. With the advent of the VM Rebranding/EPG this service degraded into a "not fit for the purpose" catagory and I went elsewhere.
If this can happen for DTV then I have no doubt it can also happen with regard to BB particularly as speeds increase, making greater demands on infrastructure. Recent cutbacks both on staff and maintenance procedures may also be beginning to bite causing areas of the network to fall below minimum spec.
Of course maybe none of this is relevant to those complaining of only getting 10meg speeds as it may be down to plain old congestion.
I used to think I was on an underutilised UBR as I always had a solid 10meg night or day. Since moving to 20meg I find just over 10meg is all that is available during the day till 4.00pm then it drops to 5-8meg but after 1-2.00am it's full-speed 20meg.
Thus it seems just by turning on the 20meg switch a good performing UBR can be made to struggle. If your UBR was borderline black before 20meg then you will have no chance at almost any time to see 20meg.
Do a test from a known good source at between 1-2.00am. If you still cannot achieve 20meg and you are confident your PC is fully optimised and capable then as VM are too skint or just not inclined to upgrade the network in the foreseeable future, you might be better off seeking a better deal from a more responsable supplier.
Another problem with poor speeds can be attributed to VM's choice of routing partners. By consistently using BUDGET (no surprise there) routing solutions, lots of real world single slot connections can only achieve 200-400kbps throughput. This situation has existed for years but lately has got much worse as VM seek to screw a few more pennies from us.
Once again it would appear that only a change of supplier might help with this problem, although I suspect that all IP's supping at this particular bar to a greater or lesser extent. :(

TrevorHannant
21-09-2007, 23:13
I've had the same problem as loads of other people around here recently with my VM XL package not doing the business! Basically I was getting about 1mb or less ... not good enough obviously!!

After spending hours googling around I stumbled upon the answer hidden in Virgin Medias own web pages ... here's the link ...

... http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php ...

The important bit is (for me anyway!!) the first 'tweak' concerning 'Duplex modes' ... mine had defaulted to .. 100Mbps/Full Duplex ... I changed it to '100Mbps/Half duplex' and *wham* ... I was back up to a full 20mb...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/185877881.png

Apologies if this is old news, but it seems such an important fix, in fact I don't see why it's not given more prominence by VM themselves ... it certainly sorted my problem, hopefully it can help a few of you guys out too!!

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately my connection is wireless so not using a network card.

Anyone got any tips on optimising via USB network adapter?

benpals
22-09-2007, 14:26
fantastic post - thank you so much

on 20meg XL getting only 4mg download

wirless g network

ran TCP optimiser as per virgin link set the bar over to right.

Bang - 13meg download
frankly yes it should be 20 but hey wow better than 4 meg and it was just soem settings that i expect BAngalore call centre would have never sorted.

so happy - thanks

going to ask if the old cable modem is maybe the restriction for the rest since had this from telewest days, read this may be something but again great post .

thanks for sharing
:)