PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer connection problem

sixtoes
20-09-2007, 13:53
Up untill 4 weeks ago i could connect to a friend in doncaster playing graw/graw2.he changed from pipex to bt and at first i could connect but only after trying about a dozen times and usually when the other players had joined.I am unable to connect at all know but the other players can(orange/pipex)I have phoned technical but no help.I can connect to the internet and to other servers within the game.All settings have been checked(port/router)Is there an issue with connection between bt and cable, any help would be appreciated.

southwell
20-09-2007, 14:36
Can he connect to you if you host a game?
I used to have a problem with hosting games if i had my routers firewall on, he may have something his end.

sixtoes
20-09-2007, 14:52
No he cannot connect to me.Will try to see if others can connect to me and that will help to narrow it down to the cable or bt hopefully.

southwell
20-09-2007, 15:01
Another thing to try is plugging your computer directly into your modem (if it isn't already)

Muppetz
20-09-2007, 15:05
You need to check the basic Xbox 360 Connectivity things first, before throwing this at the ISP -

Have you gone into the network settings on the xbox 360 and run the network test ?

Does it report your NAT as Open ?

And the same for your friend.

If you are not Open, then you will have problems. For example 2 people who are "strict" will not be able to talk with each other or join each others games.

More information can be found here :-

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/troubleshootliveconnection-testnat.htm

EDIT - I am assuming xbox 360 here, although you have not specified what platform your gaming is on.

sixtoes
20-09-2007, 19:30
Sorry it is pc not xbox360

Uncle Peter
20-09-2007, 23:37
Ask your friend for his IP address and do a traceroute to him to check if there's a bad route or high latency. It's likely that the game will have some sort of anti-lag functionality to stop players with high latency between eachother connecting to the same game session.

sixtoes
21-09-2007, 21:51
Did the traceroute but unsure how to read the results.I got onto the sheffield broadband bt net but then got timedout from 19-30 out of a maximum 30 hops?:confused:

Uncle Peter
21-09-2007, 23:43
Maybe if you can post your traceroute in this thread and obfuscate the source and destination IP addresses someone can shed some light :)