PDA

View Full Version : Increased 20Mb from av 9mb to 19-20Mb!!

bert23
20-09-2007, 08:58
Just thought I'd drop in as I've been one of those fed up 20Meg getting a 10Meg speed for so long, but am now getting the full service. So good to see 18-20Meg come up on the speed test. I now feel I'm getting the service I've been paying for.

How did I do it:

1) replaced my 120 modem for a new 255 (through some awful Bangalore call centre, who I couldn't understand, and wasn't keen at first on replacing the modem until I pointed out the web page telling me Her company was advising me to do so:rolleyes::mad:) She also had to get permission to refund the cost of my call

2) Replaced my Router

However changing the modem was disappointing - still only got 12-13Meg, Had a 30 min chat with a great Welsh guy in support. (He even called me back after 20 mins as he said they weren't allowed to keep us on the phone longer than that. I managed to find someone in Virgin who actually cared !!). He thought it might be spyware/torrent etc. But suggested he send an engineer even though didn't thionk would work.

Anyway I thought before the engineer comes I would put the connection direct into the PC. Did the simple speed test and got 19Meg:D:D:D

retested the router a couple of times - and replaced the Netgear wpn824 rangemax with a new draft N D Link Dir 655 - SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angel: Unlike the netgear it can actually handle more than 1 connection at a time. Its conssitently giving me 18-20Meg at different times of the day I've tested.

So all this time I've been thinking 20Meg was not a reality - and It was just the ****e Netgear router, and probably the modem. Also D link has gigabit connections - so my network is now supa fast. I know this may shock some but I'm a happy Virgin customer ;)

Toto
20-09-2007, 09:43
It goes to show then that all of us need to tech a problem to death first, and not rule out that our own equipment could be at fault.

Thanks for that post....and :welcome: to the forum.

thewiccaman
20-09-2007, 09:57
Like bert23, I'd been suffering from d/l speeds between 1-6 mbps on my 20 meg BB for months - sometimes it crept up to 10-12. But lately, averaging 16-18 mbps at all times. Feel as tho I'm getting my moneys worth at last!

slowcoach
20-09-2007, 11:26
It's my turn for 19 Meg today. Yippee! :dunce:

bert23
20-09-2007, 11:34
now I've got that sorted -

where's my 50 meg!!!!!!!!!:mad:

thewiccaman
20-09-2007, 11:37
now I've got that sorted -

where's my 50 meg!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Forget that! What about 100 meg?
[BBC Tech news yesterday]

danielf
20-09-2007, 11:39
How constructive :rolleyes:

slowcoach
20-09-2007, 11:45
Like the CEO said, "They are like Oliver Twist, always asking for more." ;)

thewiccaman
20-09-2007, 12:34
:Peaceman: Lighten up! Sheesh!

It makes a change, surely, to have posts that aren't complaining about speed issues? I say, enjoy it while we can because the low speed rants will be back soon enough no doubt!

dannyraul
20-09-2007, 13:31
I have the same setup as the OP and have had no problems with the 20mb service or even the old 10mb service, constantly getting 18-20mb at any time during the day. The DIR-655 is an excellent router!

TrevorHannant
20-09-2007, 20:37
Just thought I'd drop in as I've been one of those fed up 20Meg getting a 10Meg speed for so long, but am now getting the full service. So good to see 18-20Meg come up on the speed test. I now feel I'm getting the service I've been paying for.

How did I do it:

1) replaced my 120 modem for a new 255 (through some awful Bangalore call centre, who I couldn't understand, and wasn't keen at first on replacing the modem until I pointed out the web page telling me Her company was advising me to do so:rolleyes::mad:) She also had to get permission to refund the cost of my call

2) Replaced my Router

However changing the modem was disappointing - still only got 12-13Meg, Had a 30 min chat with a great Welsh guy in support. (He even called me back after 20 mins as he said they weren't allowed to keep us on the phone longer than that. I managed to find someone in Virgin who actually cared !!). He thought it might be spyware/torrent etc. But suggested he send an engineer even though didn't thionk would work.

Anyway I thought before the engineer comes I would put the connection direct into the PC. Did the simple speed test and got 19Meg:D:D:D

retested the router a couple of times - and replaced the Netgear wpn824 rangemax with a new draft N D Link Dir 655 - SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angel: Unlike the netgear it can actually handle more than 1 connection at a time. Its conssitently giving me 18-20Meg at different times of the day I've tested.

So all this time I've been thinking 20Meg was not a reality - and It was just the ****e Netgear router, and probably the modem. Also D link has gigabit connections - so my network is now supa fast. I know this may shock some but I'm a happy Virgin customer ;)

Good to hear bert!

For consistency, woudl be good if you could post which speed test you used and the time of day. Will be interesting to see others results using that test at that time...

xpod
20-09-2007, 20:57
Gee bert....good stuff.:)

Took 3 months 2 weeks before the 20Mb showed up for us although our late show was nothing to do with problems at our end....

bert23
21-09-2007, 22:46
trevor

Used 2 speed tests both have been recommended to me by ntl/virgin in the past.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testyourspeed
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

I find the simple one (first one) is the most consistent test for 20MB BB.

Have tested it about 20 times in the last 48hours at regular intervals.

ALso have just loaded Bit comet - and have got incredible speeds without it crashing, just shows how poor the Netgear router was and how superb the D link is!!:D

oh and danielf - you must be really good fun to be around :p:

TrevorHannant
22-09-2007, 10:43
trevor

Used 2 speed tests both have been recommended to me by ntl/virgin in the past.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

I find the simple one (first one) is the most consistent test for 20MB BB.

Have tested it about 20 times in the last 48hours at regular intervals.

ALso have just loaded Bit comet - and have got incredible speeds without it crashing, just shows how poor the Netgear router was and how superb the D link is!!:D

oh and danielf - you must be really good fun to be around :p:

Cheers Bert.

Both of those and the test at speedtest.net are only showing me getting 4.7-4.9Mb download which is pretty disappointing.

Will hook the laptop up to the modem later and try it directly to make sure it's not the router causing it although it's showing an 11Mb connection on that just now...

|Kippa|
22-09-2007, 11:19
On the web speed tests I usually get 14mbit, but when I download off commercial newsgroups (astraweb) I get 18mbit, and I check in task manager my network connection and yes it is 18mbit. You might be able to download faster than what it registers at the speed test sites.

bert23
22-09-2007, 17:47
copy of typical result - I just love the last line after all these months of poor speeds :banghead:

Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:43:20 UTC

1st 512K took 219 ms = 2337.9 KB/sec, approx 19264 Kbps, 18.81 Mbps
2nd 512K took 250 ms = 2048 KB/sec, approx 16876 Kbps, 16.48 Mbps
3rd 512K took 203 ms = 2522.2 KB/sec, approx 20783 Kbps, 20.3 Mbps
4th 512K took 219 ms = 2337.9 KB/sec, approx 19264 Kbps, 18.81 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 19047 Kbps, 18.6 Mbps

These results appear to be rather fast - this page was probably in the browser cache.:hyper:

Elsie
23-09-2007, 11:25
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I knew I was on 20mb NTL but didn't see a speed increase, I was only getting 6-7mb max. After plugging the CAT5 directly into the modem the speed shot up to 17, 18 and even 19mb!!!

It appears my Netgear RP114 wired router (5 years old?) cannot cope with the speeds so it's time to retire it and find a new one!

Tijer
23-09-2007, 12:13
i was averaging 9-10 mb connection untill i gotmy new router which is a belkin wireless g+ now im getting anything from 14-18 meg, my old router was around 4 years old, so im guessing it couldnt handle the 20 meg, only problem i am having now is the router is randomly dropping link (something which my old router didnt do) But other than that im more than happy with the speeds im getting now :)

bert23
23-09-2007, 15:28
Elsie - thats great news!!

Tijer - the netgear was always dropping connection (as was my linksys before that)- if two or more pcs were connected or I had too many torrents. Have to say the Dlink has not dropped once yet - really pleased with it so far.

IT Lemming
23-09-2007, 22:02
I have recently changed over from a set top box link to modem, and also updated from 4mb to 20mb, but I was getting better speeds from the old link.
I would constantly get 4mb with my old connection, now with the supposed better link I am only getting 2mb download & 714kbps upload.
I thought it might be the router, but even with direct connection it is no better.

Any suggestions before I spend a fortune discussing it with someone in an overseas call centre!!

Mick Fisher
23-09-2007, 22:12
Downgrade back to 4meg.
If it worked before then it is not your set up. VM's 20meg service in some areas is very poor.

IT Lemming
23-09-2007, 22:24
Thanks, thats what I thought, the IT boffins at work have been telling me to upgrade to a modem connection for ages but begining to regret it now!
I am paying extra for slower speeds.

Anyone got any ideas what the speed limit is via the set top box?

fatassmichael
23-09-2007, 22:57
IT Lemming, Have you tried to optimise your connection?

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

IT Lemming
24-09-2007, 00:28
Yes tried all the normal things, just done a speed test again, and I am getting below 2mb now, at 12.25am !!!

So much for peak rates losses!

bert23
24-09-2007, 08:28
IT - did you get a new modem when you switched. I had tried direct connection with my old modem and that had not helped. It was only when I attached the new 255 modem directly I got the speed.

And also I had used the optimizer.

photodude
24-09-2007, 09:15
Well I've been getting between 0.5 and 6 meg on my 20meg connection. UBR cards have all been changed, cables pulled and replaced, and what ever else they have done. The tech that I am now on first name terms with said "How old is your SB4200 modem", and he was told 5 years. He swapped it for a 2100, hooked up through my WRT54GS router, and guess what. 19-23Meg for 90% of the day, and only dropping to 14-17 meg at heavy traffic times. No loss of connection or dropped packets.
He couldn't explain it, as the SB4200 should work fine at high speeds. Power levels were reading different on the 4200 pages, compared to his readings and what the 2100 was showing:confused: For those with the 4200 modem having troubles, insist on a new modem.:D

mcarora
24-09-2007, 20:46
Hey everyone

I have always had the maximum available package for BB ever since I joined Telewest (Blueyonder). Originally when I had it installed I only ever had one PC in the house and so there was a direct connection between the modem and PC's NIC. Overtime I bought my sister a laptop so decided to get a Wifi router. At the time I read on the Blueyonder website that they recommended Netgear so went ahead and got the WGT624, which worked great and gave me the speeds that were being advertised (well not quite but it wasn't ever very far off). Even when the 10Mb connection first came about I was getting that speed (yes I used to be an avid speed checker) on both my PC (which was connected via ethernet cable to the router) and laptop (Wifi). When the 20Mb started I never bothered to check, just assumed that I go that. Recenlty whilst trawling through these forums I saw so many people having problems I decided to check. Found that I was in the same boat as many others, but I had average speeds of 3-4Mb.

I went onto the VM help page and tried everything there and nothing worked. I have a number of programs running (Windows Messenger, Skype, Orb, Zone Alarm Security Suite), so decided to shut them all down (apart from Zone Alarm) and try it. Made a bit of difference, got an average of just above 4MB.

Then I thought that given others mentioned their Netgear router wasn't upto the job, that maybe mine wasn't either. So I connected the modem directly to the PC. Ran the speed tests again from

and now was averaging 16-17Mb. Wahey!! BUT I realised that I didn't have any of my usual apps running, so activated them all and now my speed has gone to 9.15Mb :mad:

So I am here to ask for advice. Will my apps always slow down my speed no matter what? I have always had the same modem since I joined TW/BY (Motorola SB4200 Surfboard) which according to the VM website should be ok, but I am not sure. Should I change my router? If so, what is the recomended one these days and is likely to last me into the foreseeable future? To be honest am a bit on the noob side cos I don't know the meaning of things like UBR(?), so any kind of easy to follow advice would be helpful?

IT Lemming
24-09-2007, 20:57
IT - did you get a new modem when you switched. I had tried direct connection with my old modem and that had not helped. It was only when I attached the new 255 modem directly I got the speed.

And also I had used the optimizer.

Yes, new cable from the box outside and new cable modem, I assume it is a 255 modem.
As Mick Fisher quoted earlier, it may be that the broadband speeds are low in this area.

Looks like I will have to ring up support for assistance, wish me luck!!!:rolleyes:

grabbi
24-09-2007, 21:08
I was getting crap speeds. I put up with it, then complianed for about a month over and over, and now mine are fine! :P

Local Maintenence, aparently.

mcarora
25-09-2007, 12:01
Hey everyone

I have always had the maximum available package for BB ever since I joined Telewest (Blueyonder). Originally when I had it installed I only ever had one PC in the house and so there was a direct connection between the modem and PC's NIC. Overtime I bought my sister a laptop so decided to get a Wifi router. At the time I read on the Blueyonder website that they recommended Netgear so went ahead and got the WGT624, which worked great and gave me the speeds that were being advertised (well not quite but it wasn't ever very far off). Even when the 10Mb connection first came about I was getting that speed (yes I used to be an avid speed checker) on both my PC (which was connected via ethernet cable to the router) and laptop (Wifi). When the 20Mb started I never bothered to check, just assumed that I go that. Recenlty whilst trawling through these forums I saw so many people having problems I decided to check. Found that I was in the same boat as many others, but I had average speeds of 3-4Mb.

I went onto the VM help page and tried everything there and nothing worked. I have a number of programs running (Windows Messenger, Skype, Orb, Zone Alarm Security Suite), so decided to shut them all down (apart from Zone Alarm) and try it. Made a bit of difference, got an average of just above 4MB.

Then I thought that given others mentioned their Netgear router wasn't upto the job, that maybe mine wasn't either. So I connected the modem directly to the PC. Ran the speed tests again from

and now was averaging 16-17Mb. Wahey!! BUT I realised that I didn't have any of my usual apps running, so activated them all and now my speed has gone to 9.15Mb :mad:

So I am here to ask for advice. Will my apps always slow down my speed no matter what? I have always had the same modem since I joined TW/BY (Motorola SB4200 Surfboard) which according to the VM website should be ok, but I am not sure. Should I change my router? If so, what is the recomended one these days and is likely to last me into the foreseeable future? To be honest am a bit on the noob side cos I don't know the meaning of things like UBR(?), so any kind of easy to follow advice would be helpful?

I assume that my best bet would be to call up Broadban Technical Support and just keep at them that I am not getting the right speeds? Can anyone confirm?

Looks like I have quite a few expensive calls ahead of me:mad::mad::mad:

Hugh
25-09-2007, 12:18
erm, no - using Skype etc will use bandwidth - you proved it wasn't on the VM side, when you removed the applications and the speed went up to 16-17Mb.

If you are going to keep things like Skype, Messenger, etc running all the time, you have to accept they use up PC resources and bandwidth - all VM will do is tell you the same.

You might gain an improvement by changing Zone Alarm for something a little less resource hungry - Comodo or Sunbelt Kerio Personal (both free).

mcarora
25-09-2007, 16:13
erm, no - using Skype etc will use bandwidth - you proved it wasn't on the VM side, when you removed the applications and the speed went up to 16-17Mb.

If you are going to keep things like Skype, Messenger, etc running all the time, you have to accept they use up PC resources and bandwidth - all VM will do is tell you the same.

You might gain an improvement by changing Zone Alarm for something a little less resource hungry - Comodo or Sunbelt Kerio Personal (both free).

Thanks, but the thing is when I shut down the apps, the speed did not dramatically increase, it was only when I had the apps shut down and directly connected my PC to the modem (not via the router). After my original post, I restarted my apps and got very close to the same speeds (which I assume was due to my apps). This made me think that it might be my router and was wondering if my assumption about my Netgear router was correct?

What do you think?

swapshop1
26-09-2007, 12:42
@mcarora: You said it yourself, you get direct connection speeds with no apps of 16-17Mb. With apps it drops to 9Mb with the router 4Mb.

Your biggest bet is a new router, but those apps will always be a burden. Your machine might not be fast enough to cope, check your processor loading. I doubt anyone has a slow machine these days but you never know.

All home routers have issues/are POS. you have to find one that has the best speed/least issues. Google router thorughput. I don't have a link to hand but there are speed charts out there and so many fail to achieve above 20Mb. I have an old 11b wireless netgear and get the full 20Mb. But it will not go much faster

I see your options as: new router/direct connect, with apps and live with the 9Mb.

Rik
26-09-2007, 15:13
Routers are rubbish, well the majority of them with 20MB.

Ive binned my one and now just use the CM into PC, not ideal I know but I got soo cheesed off with router dropping connection and freezing when using Bit Torrent I gave up.

(I havent been hacked yet so i can live with no router)

Hugh
26-09-2007, 15:35
I assume you have a firewall?

vikes
26-09-2007, 18:08
It goes to show then that all of us need to tech a problem to death first, and not rule out that our own equipment could be at fault.

Thanks for that post....and :welcome: to the forum.
Spot on.
I was having test speeds report between 5-6 Mbit on a 20Mbit set up.
Switched the router and CM off for five minutes rebooted them both and I am now getting 16+.

raspberry
26-09-2007, 19:18
Since having the UPTO 20mb i have consistanteley had no better than 10 mb.(using speedtest and the cable forum test)
On Saturday i had to change from firefox back to ie7 :mad: 'cos the wifes work wouldn't work on anything but ie and hey presto speeds not below 13.5mb!
Still waiting the new modem that was promised 3 weeks ago though,even phoned the number given on the virgin website after registering for it only to be told in punjabi that they nothing about modem upgrades.:confused:
Could the speed increase be down to firefox or is it just a coincidence?